fufanatic wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:49 am
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:54 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:46 pm
Wofford beautifully demonstrated again tonight why they ran the table in the Southern Conference. They have multiple players, who in the clutch at the end of the game, know how to step up and hit the big shot.
Can’t imagine they’ll beat Kentucky, but I guess you never know.
Selected Common Opponents (2018-2019 Season)

Wofford Results | Kentucky Results
Opponent (Rank) Date H/A/N Result | Date H/A/N Result
S Carolina 11/26 A W by 20 | 02/05 H W by 28
UNCG 02/16 H W by 30 | 12/01 H W by 17
VMI 03/09 N W by 27 | 11/18 H W by 10
Seton Hall 03/21 N W by 16 | 12/08 N L by 1
Listen, I hate Kentucky so I’m going to pull for Wofford. And they could certainly win, but Coach Cal and the Wildcats don’t make a lot of mistakes in March, so I’m not going to put a lot of stock in VMI as a common opponent ...
Can I sell you Seton Hall?
Yeah, I mean that’s a great win for the Hall. I still think Kentucky in March is always different than Kentucky in December. And Kentucky is always scary thanks to having one of if not the best coach in the country. Cal knows how to get his guys to improve over the course of the year. If Wofford shoots like it did last night, they have a shot, but I don’t feel as good about it as I would have if it was virtually any other opponent in the country.
 #12775  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:03 pm
Lucky break Woff gets to catch Kentucky without their leading scorer
FUBeAR liked this
 #12777  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:32 pm
UNCG vs. Lipscomb on ESPN tomorrow 2pm

Wofford vs. Kentucky on CBS tomorrow 2:40pm
 #12778  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:01 pm
16 seed Gardner-Webb (who we beat earlier in the season) leads 1 seed Virginia by 6 at halftime
 #12779  by tya1
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:37 pm
Tennessee had a 16 point at one point in the first half but #15 seed Colgate has come back. Tennessee trailed by 2 but has a 3 point lead at the moment.

#13 seed UC-Irvine upset #4 Kansas State. An upset that many predicted. KSU is missing a star player with injury.
#9 Oklahoma whipped Mississippi by 23.
#10 Iowa trailed a majority of the game but took control in the last minutes to beat #7 Cincinnati 79-72.
Virginia up 4 with 14 minutes to go.
 #12780  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:44 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
16 seed Gardner-Webb (who we beat earlier in the season) leads 1 seed Virginia by 6 at halftime
GWU fell apart in second half
 #12781  by gman
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:56 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:44 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
GWU fell apart in second half
Refs not helping either. Plus, it’s hard to listen to the announcers bias for Virginia.
 #12792  by tya1
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:46 pm
Liberty gets their first ever NCAA tournament win by a score of 80-76 over Mississippi State.
Oregon and Wisconsin were tied at the half but Oregon dominated the second half to win by 18.
Liberty and Oregon were #12 seeds over #5 seeds.
#1 seed North Carolina was struggling with #16 seed Iona. UNC was down 5 at the half but now has an 8 point lead - 13 minutes to go.
 #12793  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:50 am
SEC and ACC were just alike this year. 4 really good teams and then not much else. Why did the SEC get so many teams in?? Their #4 team couldn't even get a bid to the NIT!! Syracuse, Louisville, Ole Miss, Miss St. all go out in the first round. Those slots could have been given to deserving Mid-Majors. Big East got too many teams also. St.Johns? Really?
 #12795  by Fessor
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:13 am
As I recall, it's been previously posted that Furman interviewed former NBA assistant Russell Turner when the job was given to JJ. He's had seven straight winning seasons, he's been his conference's coach of the year three times, and he just got his first NCAA win at UC-Irvine (30-5) after taking them to the tourney previously, in addition to two NIT bids.

Something must have been in the water 50 years or so ago in Roanoke (Star City of the South) ...

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges ... abd87.html
 #12797  by gman
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:23 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:19 am
I'm not sure it is that good for the SoCon except of course for the extra money. Did Davidson's run a few years ago do anything for the SoCon? As for the tourney today has been pretty mundane. Only a couple of close games and no upsets. I guess Murray State was an upset according to the biased NCAA but I think most people were expecting them to win.
This article is from the Post and Courier. The comments from Calipari about the SoCon show how far the conference has progressed. http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... 0313010446
Calipari: ‘I know how good Wofford is’

BY JEFF HARTSELL
jhar tsell@postandcourier.com

Picture
STEPHEN B. MORTON/AP

Wofford guard Fletcher Magee and the No. 7 seed Terriers face No. 2 seed Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament on Saturday.

In the minutes after the game, Fletcher Magee talked on ESPN with Scott Van Pelt, then did a hit with national broadcaster Andy Katz. On Friday morning, he chatted up Dan Patrick on nationwide radio, while Wofford coach Mike Young did the same with Jim Rome.

Googlesearchesfor“Wofford”spiked on Friday night, after the Terriers won their first NCAA Tournament game in five trips to the Big Dance with an 84-63 victory over Seton Hall in Jacksonville, Fla. And at the same time, “Wofford” and “Fletcher Magee” were the top two trending topics on Twitter.

It seems the tiny school of 1,600 students in Spartanburg — better known as the hometown of Zion Williamson — has finally made the big time.

“Our name recognition has gotten better and better,” said Young, whose No. 7-seeded Terriers (30-4) will take on No. 2 seed Kentucky (28-6) at 2:40 p.m. Saturday (WCSC/ CBS) in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. “And this experience will help even more.”

And yet, as late as Friday, Young found himself correcting someone’s enunciation of Wofford.

“If I hear one more ‘Woe-ford,’ I’m coming after you,” Young joked at his afternoon news conference. “It’s pronounced ‘Waff-ord’. We’re making great progress, but there’s work to be done.”

One observer who’s learned a lot about Wofford since Friday night is Kentucky coach John Calipari, whose team lost earlier this season to Seton Hall, the team the Terriers closed out on Friday night with a 17-0 run. “I know how good Wofford is, and their league, and the top four teams in their league,” said Calipari, referring to the Southern Conference and contenders UNC Greensboro, Furman and East Tennessee State. “And I hate to tell you, but they all four should have been in the NCAA Tournament.

“For Wofford to come from outside the Power 5 and be a seven seed, that’s a big deal,” Calipari said. “A big, big deal.” But Calipari might have to convince his players.

On Friday, Kentucky’s 6-11 Nick Richards provided the Terriers with some bulletin board material when asked if the Wildcats’ size advantage will help against Wofford, whose tallest starters are 6-9 Keve Aluma and 6-8 Cam Jackson. Matthew Pegram, a 6-11 senior from Wando High School, comes off the bench. “It’s a good advantage for us,” said Richards, who is joined on Kentucky’s frontline by 6-8 Reid Travis and 6-10 EJ Montgomery. “They are not even as athletic as all three of us.

“Their bigs are skilled around the basket and know how to move on the floor. But we’re just better than they are. The advantage is our way, in my opinion.” Calipari was not happy with that quote.

“What are you doing, Nick?” he said. “But that’s OK, because if you speak, you better back it up. I love his confidence, and now I want to see him do it on the court.”

Jackson, who had 14 points, 10 rebounds and five assists while battling Seton Hall’s bigs, dismissed the dis.

“We just take care of what we can take care of,” he said. “It’s not about proving them wrong, it’s about doing what we are comfortable doing and impacting the game any way we can.”

Reach Jeff Hartsell at

843-937-5596. Follow him on Twitter @Jeff_fromthePC.

NCAA Tournament

WHO: No. 7 seed Wofford (30-4) vs. No. 2 Kentucky (28-6) WHEN: 2:40 p.m. WHERE: Midwest Regional, Jacksonville TV: WCSC (CBS) LINE: Kentucky by 5½
 #12813  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:10 pm
Wofford season done

Magee goes 0-12 from three, ouch
His usual 2 rebounds and 1 assist lol, the 1 trick pony became a no trick pony today
 #12814  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:15 pm
Magee vs. the P5 teams from 3:
UNC 3-16
Okla 5-13
USC 2-11
Kansas 0-9
Miss St. 4-10
Kentucky 0-12

That's 14-71 19%
For someone who can't rebound, assist, steal or block his odds at any NBA time are slim to none
fufanatic liked this
 #12816  by furpop16
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:07 pm
gman wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:23 am
“Our name recognition has gotten better and better,” said Young, ... And yet, as late as Friday, Young found himself correcting someone’s enunciation of Wofford.

“If I hear one more ‘Woe-ford,’ I’m coming after you,” Young joked at his afternoon news conference. “It’s pronounced ‘Waff-ord’. We’re making great progress, but there’s work to be done.”

Exactly how I feel when I hear "Purple Paladins" ... ugh.
dornb liked this