• Bob Richey

#12677  by Fessor
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:13 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:23 pm
Niko with his work cut out for him at CSU that's for sure
Can't think of anything I care about less.
apaladin liked this
 #12679  by gman
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:31 pm
MNORM wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:17 pm
I am afraid we will not be able to keep him. There are already several coaches that have been let go at bigger schools. I am not sure he will be back next year which would be devastating. I would say it's 50/50 at best.
And this is based on what evidence other than there have been multiple P5 coaches let go...which happens every year?
This season drew a lot of attention to FU and CBR. They will be coming for him for sure. FU has shown no ability to keep hot coaches in football or basketball.
It’s been a while since we had a “hot” coach in either sport. Coach Richey has changed that.
 #12683  by fufanatic
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm
Can you imagine a mid-major school losing two head coaches in a row without either leading the team to the NCAAs? That would be stunning and remarkable. I hope BR - unlike NM - wants to finish the job before moving on.
dornb, Fessor and 1 others liked this
 #12685  by tya1
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:23 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:07 pm
I have not been more high on any coach Furman has ever had in any sport. I would vote for him for President of the School. That he can coach basketball is an added plus. Seriously, a guy who is a great life coach as well as basketball coach.
Totally agree!! We need to send Niko a thank you note for leaving!

Niko deserves plenty of thanks for doing a terrific job revitalizing the program.
This season drew a lot of attention to FU and CBR. They will be coming for him for sure. FU has shown no ability to keep hot coaches in football or basketball.
Dick Sheridan and Bobby Johnson each left after eight years as head coach and after making the national championship game. If BR leaves after eight years, multiple SoCon titles, and a Final Four appearance I suppose we will have to deal with it.
fufanatic, dornb, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this
 #12686  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:00 pm
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
MNORM wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I am afraid we will not be able to keep him. There are already several coaches that have been let go at bigger schools. I am not sure he will be back next year which would be devastating. I would say it's 50/50 at best.
And this is based on what evidence other than there have been multiple P5 coaches let go...which happens every year?
It’s been a while since we had a “hot” coach in either sport. Coach Richey has changed that.
Wasn't really talking about head coaches exclusively. Didn't we lose both football coordinators this year?
 #12690  by purplehorse
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:56 pm
I give Niko credit for revitalizing the basketball program. Unfortunately that is in part negated by the timing of his :x departure.
dornb, gman, underjack liked this
 #12696  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 pm
Bob Richey 48–19 (.716)

That includes the Saint Peter's CIT semifinal game
dornb, FU03times liked this
 #12698  by ksummerlin
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 pm
Richey gets it. Furman doesn't have enough local alumni to sustain a true mid-major contender year after year. We need the larger Greenville community to think of Furman as 'our local team' -- at least in basketball. We will never reach that level in football because of Clemson and to a lesser degree SC. But basketball in this area is wide open.

This year is a step in that direction. We just need to follow though and build on this year.
underjack, FU03times liked this
 #12704  by cavedweller2
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:30 pm
I see BR as Basketball Dabo at Clemson. If they are smart enough to hire him.
 #12706  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:18 pm
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
MNORM wrote:
apaladin wrote:
LeeAnn thinks Coach Hendrix is pretty hot. So do a lot of knowledgeable College Football peeps.
 #12712  by purplehorse
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:08 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
I just see BR at Furman for a long time. The grass is not always greener at a bigger school. I cannot imagine the joy and pleasure of putting Furman on the basketball map. Now that would be quite a story!
FUKA61, dornb liked this
 #12716  by edwards555
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:46 am
My guess is it will turn on a couple of things. First it would make little sense to go to a school that is not a member of a 2 bid conference-power 5, big east, aac, maybe mwc-many of these jobs pay 1.5-3mil. However, maybe even more important what is Furman and the conference going to do to help him make the program better-things like assistant salaries, Timmons improvements both construction and operationally television contracts that show socon schools on at least a regional level? I think that they like Greenville and things would not have to be equal but if we keep winning 20 games a year the time will come.
 #12720  by soconjohn
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:45 am
Clemson is one of the toughest jobs in the country...They haven't won consistently since Purnell, but he even struggled...Rick Barnes and Cliff Ellis were successful there as well, but Clemson is just a stepping stone to bigger basketball-oriented and dedicated programs for coaches these days...That rock can be slippery, however, as you could get trapped, similar to a coach like Brad Brownell has currently...It's harder now more than ever given Clemson's football success...All Clemson can offer is more money...They can't offer comfort and they aren't necessarily going to offer support for hiring a younger coach to give him the tools for success like Furman can...BR could go there, however, he can also do better than that job...If he leaves at some point or whenever he does, he needs to go to a place that has a potential of basketball future and the administrative support in place to make that a reality.
 #12727  by Mr. Taggart
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:19 am
ksummerlin wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 pm
Richey gets it. Furman doesn't have enough local alumni to sustain a true mid-major contender year after year. We need the larger Greenville community to think of Furman as 'our local team' -- at least in basketball. We will never reach that level in football because of Clemson and to a lesser degree SC. But basketball in this area is wide open.

This year is a step in that direction. We just need to follow though and build on this year.
This is one of Mike Young's big successes at Wofford -- they have huge local support. Same with Forbes at ETSU.
 #12741  by Fessor
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:48 am
purplehorse wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:08 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
I just see BR at Furman for a long time. The grass is not always greener at a bigger school. I cannot imagine the joy and pleasure of putting Furman on the basketball map. Now that would be quite a story!
You have to narrow the money difference.

We don't need to pay 1 million; you can be very comfortable in G’ville on $500K, but he's not there. He's half that.

If he wants to stay, you have to take the money out of it to the extent you can. He ultimately needs to be in the $500K range. That takes the Drakes of the World out of the equation and it makes the seven figure jobs, with the high expectations/pressure/ and stiff league competition less attractive.

The question then becomes: how badly do you want him to stay (i.e., how many digits are you willing to add to that FU athletics check you write)? The money has to come from somewhere.

Bob resonates with me, as they say, and the second longest running passion in my life is FU BB. I'll gladly up what I give.
RCFU and 1 others liked this