• Furman: Please change Spring Break to fall on different date as SoCon tournament

#12605  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:02 am
The title says it all...

I have been harping on this for 4 years now, I feel if we are ever going to win the SoCon tourney title it is extremely important for us to get a large following up there, and that includes the students!

I hope Furman does a simple alteration to its academic calendar next year and makes this happen, it is incredibly important to what we are trying to build
 #12612  by furpop16
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:32 am
Culture trumps everything.

Pick any program with a strong fan culture. Imagine how lucky we'd feel if FU had a similar culture with the calendar as-is. I think most students would be jazzed to have the time-off to attend the tourney. Not all students have to have their toes in beach-sand to enjoy Spring Break.

Focus on developing the culture, not on tinkering with the calendar.
Last edited by furpop16 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #12634  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:00 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:22 am
I disagree. Furman doesn't need to rework its academic calendar around a basketball tournament for a few students.

We're a school, not a fan squad.

You absolutely could not be more wrong, asking a simple thing from the Administration like this is the smallest thing they can do to help the basketball program and requires shifting spring break by 1 week, so simple a cave man can do it
 #12635  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:04 pm
Do you think its a coincidence that Wofford is 5-0 all time in SoCon title games? Nope, they bus their students up in droves and makes a world of difference, it always makes a world of difference, anybody that has been to the last 25 SoCon tournaments as I have knows that the energy from the crowd can be a huge difference maker. Furman has yet to have this advantage in the past 25 years that I have attended and that MUST change!
 #12636  by paladinfan12
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:06 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
I disagree. Furman doesn't need to rework its academic calendar around a basketball tournament for a few students.

You absolutely could not be more wrong, asking a simple thing from the Administration like this is the smallest thing they can do to help the basketball program and requires shifting spring break by 1 week, so simple a cave man can do it
Shifting spring break affects tons of activities that are planned around the school's annual calendar. The SoCon tournament is only one gear in a gigantic conglomerate of activities that affect when classes are held.
 #12639  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:10 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

Shifting spring break affects tons of activities that are planned around the school's annual calendar. The SoCon tournament is only one gear in a gigantic conglomerate of activities that affect when classes are held.

You are being vague, can you be more specific as to what difficulties this will entail to shift spring break 1 week?
 #12650  by paladinfan12
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:41 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

You are being vague, can you be more specific as to what difficulties this will entail to shift spring break 1 week?
So we will move spring break to mid-march and tell the following groups to reorganize their spring schedules because of a basketball tournament 1.5 hours away that we want them to go to. The following events take place after/during spring break and now have 25% less time to schedule all their activities.

Classes
Mid-term exams & final exams (spring break always half a semester)
Music Department Concerts/Oratorios
Board of Trustees Meetings
Student Life Events (End of year formals, trips, celebrations, banquets, etc.)
Relay for Life
Admissions Deadlines (Several students work for admissions)
Accepted students days and spring tours (Several students are tour guides)
Easter Holidays
Graduate School Interviews
High School Scholarship Interview weekend

If students wanted to go to the tournament they would go, regardless of when spring break is.
 #12652  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:46 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:41 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

So we will move spring break to mid-march and tell the following groups to reorganize their spring schedules because of a basketball tournament 1.5 hours away that we want them to go to. The following events take place after/during spring break and now have 25% less time to schedule all their activities.

Classes
Mid-term exams & final exams (spring break always half a semester)
Music Department Concerts/Oratorios
Board of Trustees Meetings
Student Life Events (End of year formals, trips, celebrations, banquets, etc.)
Relay for Life
Admissions Deadlines (Several students work for admissions)
Accepted students days and spring tours (Several students are tour guides)
Easter Holidays
Graduate School Interviews
High School Scholarship Interview weekend

If students wanted to go to the tournament they would go, regardless of when spring break is.

Thanks for making my point, nothing that can't easily be adjusted
All you do is shift everything 1 week, it could not be any more simple, if the Administration supports this basketball program they will make the adjustment, I hope they do because it is a MUST
 #12678  by paladinfan12
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:14 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:04 pm
Fortunately those with the view of Furman basketball supported by just "a few students" as paladinfan12 has stated is a view becoming extinct around Furman, no reason to be stubborn or lazy about making adjustments, strive for improvements in all facets will remain the mantra
To be clear - my "for a few students" line was referencing the students who are actually participating in the basektball tournament, i.e. the team, managers, band, and cheerleaders.

Like I reiterated earlier, if students wanted to go to the tournament nothing is stopping them. They can drive home for break or go on their vacation 1-2 days later if they really wanted to go to the tournament. I went to the tournament 3 years as a student when I was in college. If you move spring break you'll still have competing activities every other weekend of the spring. Sorority girl will choose going to her function over the SoCon basketball tournament every time, and the lacrosse team still has games/practice almost every day - spring break or not. Are you going to ask them to reorganize all of their activities around the SoCon tournament as well?

I can totally agree Furman should've put the offer out for a student bus for each game, but i disagree with moving an academic calendar for an extracurricular activity. This is a slippery slope to begin walking along.
 #12691  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:12 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:14 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:04 pm
Fortunately those with the view of Furman basketball supported by just "a few students" as paladinfan12 has stated is a view becoming extinct around Furman, no reason to be stubborn or lazy about making adjustments, strive for improvements in all facets will remain the mantra
To be clear - my "for a few students" line was referencing the students who are actually participating in the basektball tournament, i.e. the team, managers, band, and cheerleaders.

Like I reiterated earlier, if students wanted to go to the tournament nothing is stopping them. They can drive home for break or go on their vacation 1-2 days later if they really wanted to go to the tournament. I went to the tournament 3 years as a student when I was in college. If you move spring break you'll still have competing activities every other weekend of the spring. Sorority girl will choose going to her function over the SoCon basketball tournament every time, and the lacrosse team still has games/practice almost every day - spring break or not. Are you going to ask them to reorganize all of their activities around the SoCon tournament as well?

I can totally agree Furman should've put the offer out for a student bus for each game, but i disagree with moving an academic calendar for an extracurricular activity. This is a slippery slope to begin walking along.

Nothing slippery about it you are just coming up with weak excuses, shifting spring break 1 week is not only extremely simple it is a MUST
 #12725  by Flagman
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:17 am
gman wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:36 am
Furman basketball just sent out a survey via e-mail. I urge every fan to take the time to complete it.
Where is those survey of which you speak? I didn’t get one.