• Winter practice

#118  by fufanatic
 Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 am
Interestingly, Furman in year 1 of the "rebuild" was better than Richmond. They finished 6-5 and beat Colgate by 3 points (who we absolutely hammered two weeks later). They finished 6th in the CAA and missed the playoffs. Furman made the post season, of course, and beat the CAA's #3 on the road in the post season.

Richmond also graduates their QB, who is an NFL prospect and basically was their entire offense in 2017. Kyle Lauletta accounted for 347 yards a game on an offense that averaged 452.

I don't particularly understand the rationale behind an OL transferring out of a program run by a highly respected offensive line coach who is asking you to be a better athlete. I'm wondering if he isn't looking at where Furman is right now and asking whether that was the best choice.
My thoughts exactly. I can only assume they thought option offense, couldn't think of a lot of offensive lineman in the NFL from Georgia Tech, military schools, Wofford, etc. and thought that was a risk. The losing weight aspect goes into that. But if you can play, and you're the right size, you will get a shot. The NFL could put more weight on you if that was an issue. Who knows. Good luck to him.
 #120  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:42 pm
My thoughts exactly. I can only assume they thought option offense, couldn't think of a lot of offensive lineman in the NFL from Georgia Tech, military schools, Wofford, etc. and thought that was a risk. The losing weight aspect goes into that. But if you can play, and you're the right size, you will get a shot. The NFL could put more weight on you if that was an issue. Who knows. Good luck to him.
Yep - Here's one from GT - http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-fo ... 56487.html - #2 Ranked OG in the NFL - started at RG for the Patriots in the past 2 Super Bowls...and he's 6'1" - Starts beside a 6'2" Center who played at UGa and is from a 1A HS...which reminds me of the 6'2" OT who started for UGa and is expected to go in the 2nd round of this year's draft.

Don't even, necessarily, have to be the "right size" - if you can PLAY, you can PLAY in the NFL. You could be 6'7"/330 and play at Alabama or Ohio State...and if you can't play...you won't play in the NFL. No worries about politics or measurables at that level. Only thing that matters there is whether or not you can/do execute your assignments successfully. It was that way @ FU back in the day...and I bet is a whole lot closer to it again now than it has been in quite some time!
 #125  by PaladinDad
 Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:23 pm
The Ellis issue had nothing to do with wanting to play at a higher level.
 #137  by The Jackal
 Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:55 am
PaladinDad wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:23 pm
The Ellis issue had nothing to do with wanting to play at a higher level.
We subtly shifted from Ellis to talking about Tim Coleman.
 #140  by The Jackal
 Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:01 am
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. - Muhammed Ali

#145  by Huck
 Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am
Back to topic... does anyone know approximate times during the week. I have gone by at different times in the afternoon by chance catching a practice in progress. No luck...
 #149  by The Jackal
 Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:25 pm
Huck wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am
Back to topic... does anyone know approximate times during the week. I have gone by at different times in the afternoon by chance catching a practice in progress. No luck...
Judging by photos on twitter, you'd better get there early. Like dawn.
 #150  by Huck
 Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:43 pm
Thanks Jackel.... prolly not gonna happen.
 #173  by gman84
 Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 am
The practice schedule times have varied a lot. I believe CCH really wanted to get spring practice completed before spring break begins, makes sense to me. Back in the day, if I'm not mistaken, CDS started spring practice in late January.
 #175  by FUBeAR
 Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 am
gman84 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 am
The practice schedule times have varied a lot. I believe CCH really wanted to get spring practice completed before spring break begins, makes sense to me. Back in the day, if I'm not mistaken, CDS started spring practice in late January.
Even earlier IIR - maybe a week after we returned for Winter Term in January. In those days, the rule was 20 practices (all full contact) in 30 days vs. 15 practices (several limited or no contact by NCAA rules) in 20 days. So, about 4-5 weeks of practice back then. Winter Term was only 8 weeks long...so a week or so to get settled into classes...and a week or so of no Football during Final Exams. Main theory behind that change was that anyone who incurred a major injury during those 20 practices would have more time to recover before Game 1 of the following season. With the number of MCL and/or ACL injuries we had back then along with the crude methods of surgical repair (leeches were involved), we truly needed all the time we could get after 20 3-hour-long practices of full contact...during almost all of each of those 3 hours.
 #177  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:47 am
Looking over the roster, I'm getting excited about the defense.

We will return the primary rotation along the defensive line: Reid, Okonya, Tibbs. A lot of other guys rotated in their this season. Judging from twitter, we may be without Alec Hanff, but do get Melton Brown, who I expect to be a handful. A constant fresh rotation of defensive linemen can be incredibly difficult for an offense to deal with.

Unlike last year, we return a lot of veterans in the backfield. At CB, Weems, Evangelister, Kearse, and Lemons all played a bunch. Now you also add Amir Trapp, who will undoubtedly compete for a starting spot.

At OLB, we return the starters and then have a number of really exciting players coming up through the ranks.

At Safety, Okeh and Anoor are still back there, though it wouldn't shock me to see a guy like Okeh move up into a linebacker spot.

The one glaring question mark (as it has been for a few years) is depth at the inside linebacker spot. The loss of Ellis doesn't help. Fortunately, perhaps, that is one of the positions that really doesn't rotate that often. We get some stability there and we could be looking at the best defense we've had in a long time.
 #178  by bj93
 Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:51 am
The transfer FB from Navy has been moved to ILB also.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.