• New Net Rankings-Final FU should be in

#12198  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 pm
Up to #41 this morning. If you go just by the NET rankings FU should get the #30 bid of the 36 available at-large bids. If you eliminate Clempson and Texas that probably won't get bids we would get the 28th at large bid. NC State, Ole Miss, Oklahoma and Baylor are just ahead of us and may not get bids. Of course there are several teams ranked behind us that will get in because of their name.
Teams to get bids ranked behind FU:
42 Syracuse
43 Iowa
45 Washington
52 TCU
55 Ohio St
56 Temple
57 Seton Hall
59 Alabama
61 Minnesota
63 Arizona st
73 St. Johns
82 Georgetown(possible)

FU should be in but of course we all know they won't be. :(
 #12204  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:08 pm
I guess it is worth reiterating that the NCAA replaced their objective tool for evaluating teams this year. No one really has any idea how that is going to impact the selection committee. Its seems sort of dumb for the NCAA to completely renovate their bid selection process and then basically just keep selecting the same teams they have historically selected.

So, I guess all of these pundits predictions has to come with a footnote - there's no historical data on how NET will impact the selection. Furman fares well in NET.
 #12209  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:46 pm
I predict Wofford will get hosed also. If you go by their top 20 ranking and 13 Net ranking they should be no lower than a 5 seed. I think they will be a 7-8 so if thy win their first game they will play a Duke etc in round 2,
 #12217  by Paladin91
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:41 pm
FU wasn't even considered in the last 4 out. UNCG was, which pretty much confirms that had we lost against Wofford in championship game, we still wouldn't have made it in. Only way a SOCON team is going is if they win the conference.
bj93 liked this
 #12224  by gman
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
FU wasn't even considered in the last 4 out. UNCG was, which pretty much confirms that had we lost against Wofford in championship game, we still wouldn't have made it in. Only way a SOCON team is going is if they win the conference.
I disagree. First, we need to stop playing non-Division 1 teams. Then, we cannot lose to Samford at home, finish tied for third in the regular season and then lose in the semi-final tourney game. We controlled our own destiny and didn’t come through. That’s on us, not the selection committee. The SoCon got a lot of respect this year. We need to pull for Wofford to win a game and be respectful against Kentucky. The SoCon needs to have another good year in 2019/2020. I no longer feel like only the tourney champ will make the Big Dance. Let’s play well in the NIT and then build for next year. See y’all in Timmons this week.
dornb, Fessor, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #12227  by Flagman
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:55 pm
All of the posturing by the SoCon during the season and post-tournament time didn’t produce the desired result.
 #12228  by Paladin91
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:03 pm
gman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
I disagree. First, we need to stop playing non-Division 1 teams. Then, we cannot lose to Samford at home, finish tied for third in the regular season and then lose in the semi-final tourney game. We controlled our own destiny and didn’t come through. That’s on us, not the selection committee. The SoCon got a lot of respect this year. We need to pull for Wofford to win a game and be respectful against Kentucky. The SoCon needs to have another good year in 2019/2020. I no longer feel like only the tourney champ will make the Big Dance. Let’s play well in the NIT and then build for next year. See y’all in Timmons this week.
I do agree on the scheduling - we shouldn't have had more than one non Div 1 game. Is it really that hard to schedule someone out of the Sunbelt or OVC? Maybe it is, but other mid-majors aren't playing three non Div 1 games.
 #12229  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:07 pm
The chair of the committee said the amount of losses was a big factor. Really. 19-15 Florida, 19-14 Ohio State? Ohio St was 8-12 in the Big 10. Many in with 13 losses. I agree we were a couple of wins short, of course we all knew the Sammy loss would come into play. The MR injury cost us another shot at WC. The 39 year old curse is alive and well. I think we could fall as far as a 4-5 in the NIT.