• @ Georgia State - 9/7

#11971  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 am
Never too early (for Fans) to begin scouting an opponent...

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/expe ... HTP6puSEJ/

10 of 11 Starters returning on Offense with a tall (but not stick-thin) True Dual-threat QB (> 2000 yds passing & > 600 yds rushing in 2018) among them...with a new OC fresh off his stint in Cullowhee as the Catamounts’ OC...saying he wants to INCREASE the utilization of that QB.

So, the Furman D will, most likely, be facing something very familiar when they hit the ATL in September. Last year, a tall (but stick-thin - 25 pounds lighter than GaSt’s returning QB) returning True dual-threat QB, running this Offense for WCU, torched the Paladin D, passing for 428 yards/5 TD’s, going 25 of 36...and rushed for 60 yards (less sacks)...despite suffering a 1st half injury that seriously impacted his production for several weeks afterward.

Will Furman be able to contain the experienced FBS Panthers’ Offense? If so, how? What will be different (read as “better”) in 2019 to accomplish this task?
 #11996  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:22 pm
This might not be too bad as they scored 24 points or less in 8 of 12 games. I hope all of their defense is coming back. They gave up at least 34 points in all but 2 games. The bigger question of course will our offense find that leader we need.
FUBeAR liked this
 #12004  by MidlandsPaladin
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm
Looking forward to it. Will be interesting to watch a football game in what was once known as Turner Field. Original scoreboard and much of the seating is still in place, but I think they have closed off the upper decks "until they are needed". Stands have been added in right field to accommodate football.

MNORM liked this
 #12013  by fufanatic
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:07 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm
Looking forward to it. Will be interesting to watch a football game in what was once known as Turner Field. Original scoreboard and much of the seating is still in place, but I think they have closed off the upper decks "until they are needed". Stands have been added in right field to accommodate football.

Anyone ever been to a football game at a baseball stadium? I'm struggling to figure out what the "good seats" are. Can't wait to see where the Furman fans are placed.
 #12016  by The Jackal
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:20 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

10 of 11 Starters returning on Offense with a tall (but not stick-thin) True Dual-threat QB (> 2000 yds passing & > 600 yds rushing in 2018) among them...with a new OC fresh off his stint in Cullowhee as the Catamounts’ OC...saying he wants to INCREASE the utilization of that QB.

So, the Furman D will, most likely, be facing something very familiar when they hit the ATL in September. Last year, a tall (but stick-thin - 25 pounds lighter than GaSt’s returning QB) returning True dual-threat QB, running this Offense for WCU, torched the Paladin D, passing for 428 yards/5 TD’s, going 25 of 36...and rushed for 60 yards (less sacks)...despite suffering a 1st half injury that seriously impacted his production for several weeks afterward.

Will Furman be able to contain the experienced FBS Panthers’ Offense? If so, how? What will be different (read as “better”) in 2019 to accomplish this task?
I do not necessarily think Furman's issues against Western Carolina was necessarily an offensive scheme issue. That was true to some degree, as the Paladins lost Daquan Patten in coverage a couple of times.

Even then, Furman's defense largely bottled up the WCU running game (Adams had 48 rushes on 19 carries), sacked the QB four times, and forced four fumbles. It wasn't a bad defensive effort against a good offense.

In my opinion, Tyrie Adams had perhaps the most impressive game I had seen an opposing QB play against Furman in a long time. He was dealing in dark magic that day.
 #12017  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:20 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

I do not necessarily think Furman's issues against Western Carolina was necessarily an offensive scheme issue. That was true to some degree, as the Paladins lost Daquan Patten in coverage a couple of times.

Even then, Furman's defense largely bottled up the WCU running game (Adams had 48 rushes on 19 carries), sacked the QB four times, and forced four fumbles. It wasn't a bad defensive effort against a good offense.

In my opinion, Tyrie Adams had perhaps the most impressive game I had seen an opposing QB play against Furman in a long time. He was dealing in dark magic that day.
I don't jive with the way College Stats are kept for QB Rushing. I want to know the effectiveness of the QB when he does run and counting Sacks as a Carry and subtracting the yards masks that. To FUBeAR, Adams had 60 yards on 15 carries...and on a few of those, they weren't designed runs; he was flushed or just escaped a sack and gained 1 yard (which don't get recorded as sacks).

You are right though - FU's D was CRACKING that day....they just 'lost' the WR's and TE too many times...looked a lot like Mercer's secondary in the FU @ MU game. I think the WCU @ FU game was their worst rushing output to that point in the season...but on the other hand, they fumbled inside FU's 20....2 or 3 times, right? It was a crazy game...can't wait to watch FU @ GaSt.

BTW - I have been to 2 Football games in that stadium. 1 HS game (actually 2 or 3 consecutive games) in 2017 and 1 Atlanta Legends game recently. Lots of improvements in the past 2 years - GaSt is doing a good job with it. It's still kinda weird...and may always be, but it feel like a football stadium now...mostly.

At the Legends game, the visiting Team was on the bench to the right of that picture and their fans sat in the seats behind that bench...kinda the Left Field Line seats, I guess. Not sure if GaSt sets it up the same way. Regardless, it will be fun!
 #12055  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:55 am
I'm excited to see the turnout. Furman hasn't played inside metro Atlanta in years, and I can get a big picture of a lot of alums from all over the region showing up for that one, especially if its a day game.
 #12064  by DeepPurple
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 am
I got to see FURMAN thump GT in Atlanta back in the day. I was there for the tie as well. GT was lucky to get away with a Tie.
Hard to believe it was that long ago.
They play a lot of big GA high school games in the old Ted, ought to be a super venue.
FUBeAR liked this
 #12069  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 am
Should be a good crowd. Ga. St opens the week before against UT and this will be their home opener. Their attendance last year ranged from app. 11k to 23k their top 2 attendance was bolstered by in state games with GSU and KSU. They also had game of app. 14k and 15k.
 #12070  by dornb
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:57 am
DeepPurple wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 am
I got to see FURMAN thump GT in Atlanta back in the day. I was there for the tie as well. GT was lucky to get away with a Tie.
Hard to believe it was that long ago.
They play a lot of big GA high school games in the old Ted, ought to be a super venue.
I was also there for both GT games. That was a LONG time ago! We are considering driving over from Greenwood for the Georgia State game. I just HATE driving in Atlanta!
FUBeAR, DeepPurple liked this
 #12072  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 am
Should be a good crowd. Ga. St opens the week before against UT and this will be their home opener. Their attendance last year ranged from app. 11k to 23k their top 2 attendance was bolstered by in state games with GSU and KSU. They also had game of app. 14k and 15k.
On the down side (crowd-wise), both Georgia and Georgia Tech are at Home on 9/7.

* Georgia is hosting Murray State and they usually play their early season FCS games at night.
* GT has South Florida coming into ATL. Hopefully, they will do that one at night also and GaSt will make the FU game a day game.

In other relevant games for ATL area Teams....
* Morehouse is Away
* Clark Atlanta is Home against Livingstone in a 7 PM game
* Kennesaw is away @ Kent State - a few Owls might give a hoot and come to see FU play since their Team has flown up to Ohio.
* GaSou is Home against Maine - not sure how many ATL-area GaSou Fans will make the trek to StinkyBurro to see them play a 'lowly FCS' Team (GO MAINE!!!)...so maybe they'll drop in for a GaSt Sunbelt game against their old nemesis (nemeses? nemesi?) Paladins.
* Mercer is OFF after they neuter the WCU Cats the week before - YAY! - I believe some ATL-area Mercer Fans may want to get an advance peek at FU 2019 - since the Bears visit Paladin Stadium just 2 weeks later

Needs to be a day game...and Tech needs to kickoff at night...that will be best crowd- and traffic-wise.
 #12168  by The Jackal
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:08 pm
A day game, I think, would pull a nice crowd. Furman obviously has a big base of support in Atlanta, but I think a day game would warrant day trips from large alumni hubs around the Southeast.
 #12171  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 pm
I doubt those other games will have any effect on the Ga. State game. Just like Clempson, SC, WC, PC etc has no effect on FU attendance, I hope it is not an afternoon game. Atlanta the first week of September is likely to be very very hot.
 #13155  by gofurman
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:57 pm
Why In the world would you want a ‘good crowd’ for Georgia State. That’s wxactly what I DONT want. Let’s makw it a home game for FURMAN! I hope all the GSTatepeeps are at UGA and GT. the more Georgia State increases their home atmosphere the more we lose recruits to them !!! This became an issue recruiting against App etc. I want it to be 3000 Furman fans and not a single Georgia State fan within miles

Seriously. That stadium with the Atlanta Skyline in the background is nice enough. Or at least that picture looks really nice.. Let’s not hope they have lots of fans too. I hope Georgia State and Kennesaw State shut down football ;)

GO FURMAN !!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by gofurman on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #13165  by MNORM
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:19 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 pm
I doubt those other games will have any effect on the Ga. State game. Just like Clempson, SC, WC, PC etc has no effect on FU attendance, I hope it is not an afternoon game. Atlanta the first week of September is likely to be very very hot.
I'm anticipating a 7:00pm start...this is based on their first home games on past schedules.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.