#12092  by gman
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:36 pm
Fessor wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 am
Nice bus. Never seen it before. Furman doesn't even have a "team" bus do we?
Furman is smart not to have one. The liability is outrageous.
I'd argue that it's more expensive to take Wofford's approach, but that maintaining your own bus and interviewing and hiring your own driver is less risky that the alternative of contracting it out. They're putting the safety and well-being of their athletes ahead of $$.

If you had 25 sons, had the same travel requirements, and had the means to do either, you'd buy a bus and hire a driver rather than contracting it out.
Most insurance companies and attorneys are advising companies and churches to hire bus companies because of all the risk involved. Contracting out is the only way to go in todays litigious society.
 #12104  by dinhead
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:05 pm
Fessor wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:42 pm
dinhead wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:48 am
Wonder what McKillop makes at Davidson. They won't say but I bet it's over a million.
It's been previously posted that McKillop's salary is in the $400-500,000 range and is one of the lowest in his conference. Granted the cost of living in his neck of the woods is less than other cities in that conference and that salary will go far in Davidson NC, but the point is that money isn't what keeps McKillop at DC.
I have a sportswriter friend who covers Davidson and he doesn't even have access to that information. Since Davidson doesn't divulge it the amount that was posted is pure speculation and completely bogus.

I'm sure he's had some really big raises over the years that put him in the million dollar range but surely he could make a lot more money elsewhere. Even if money isn't a consideration they have to pay him somewhere near what he's worth just out of respect for the job he's done for them.

There are advantages to staying at Davidson not the least of which is job security. It's a comfortable lifestyle without the pressures of big time college basketball, being connected to his friends and family and other considerations will probably keep him there indefinitely but he's a unique exception. The fact that he was coaching a high school in Long Island when Davidson made him their head coach is unheard of. I'm sure he also feels a sense of loyalty to the university for giving him this opportunity.

The fact that Davidson won't reveal their coaches salary information is very telling. I'm sure that faculty members, administrators and other coaches might not be so pleased about how much he's making. My guess is that Wofford will pursue some private funding ( a phone call to Jerry Richardson perhaps) that might be enough to keep Young there for a while.
 #12113  by Fessor
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:34 pm
I fully agree with a strategy of focusing on what you know best and outsourcing what you can/should outsource. I think most US industries follow that model. I personally work for a virtual company - nearly everything operational is outsourced. In my area, we contract with vendors to supply operational expertise and to conduct the research that we design. They take responsibility for complying with not just US but global regulations. So, I completely get that strategy and business model.

I also know that oversight( monitoring the quality of vendors) it is a full-time job; their performance fluctuates over time. The labor market is short, they have constant turn-over, and they are constantly juggling talented staff across different accounts. The size of your account dictates whether you get the "A" talent or the "B" talent and, although we may have contracted with a company that has been in business for decades, the person they have actually doing the work at any given time may be relatively new to industry.

So, there are benefits and risks to outsourcing. At some point, either because of scale or because a function has become too valuable to entrust to others, some functions get brought in-house.

Whether WC owns that bus and the driver is a FTE, I have no clue; I seriously doubt that they do. I guess I was making the point that if a function is valuable enough and the risks of poor quality are sufficiently great, then you incur the greater expense, you identify and acquire the expertise, and you bring it in-house.
Last edited by Fessor on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
 #12114  by youwouldno
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:35 pm
McKillop's salary is public information via Davidson's Form 990. In 2016, the college paid him $495,000 directly while reporting another $35,000 in "other compensation." I would imagine that he has additional sources of income related to his job that do not fall under the Form 990 requirements, though probably not enough to get to a million.
Fessor liked this
 #12115  by Fessor
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:39 pm
dinhead wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:05 pm
Fessor wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:42 pm
dinhead wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:48 am
Wonder what McKillop makes at Davidson. They won't say but I bet it's over a million.
It's been previously posted that McKillop's salary is in the $400-500,000 range and is one of the lowest in his conference. Granted the cost of living in his neck of the woods is less than other cities in that conference and that salary will go far in Davidson NC, but the point is that money isn't what keeps McKillop at DC.
I have a sportswriter friend who covers Davidson and he doesn't even have access to that information. Since Davidson doesn't divulge it the amount that was posted is pure speculation and completely bogus.

I'm sure he's had some really big raises over the years that put him in the million dollar range but surely he could make a lot more money elsewhere. Even if money isn't a consideration they have to pay him somewhere near what he's worth just out of respect for the job he's done for them.

There are advantages to staying at Davidson not the least of which is job security. It's a comfortable lifestyle without the pressures of big time college basketball, being connected to his friends and family and other considerations will probably keep him there indefinitely but he's a unique exception. The fact that he was coaching a high school in Long Island when Davidson made him their head coach is unheard of. I'm sure he also feels a sense of loyalty to the university for giving him this opportunity.

The fact that Davidson won't reveal their coaches salary information is very telling. I'm sure that faculty members, administrators and other coaches might not be so pleased about how much he's making. My guess is that Wofford will pursue some private funding ( a phone call to Jerry Richardson perhaps) that might be enough to keep Young there for a while.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sport ... 94168.html
 #12116  by Fessor
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:05 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:02 pm
Fessor wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 am
Nice bus. Never seen it before. Furman doesn't even have a "team" bus do we?
Furman is smart not to have one. The liability is outrageous.
I'd argue that it's more expensive to take Wofford's approach, but that maintaining and servicing your own bus and interviewing and hiring your own driver is less risky that the alternative of contracting it out. They're putting the safety and well-being of their athletes ahead of $$.

If you had 25 sons, had the same travel requirements, and had the means to do either, you's buy a bus and hire a driver rather than contracting it out.
We've been on the same page a lot recently, Fessor, but I am on the other side of this one. Strong believer in outsourcing pretty much everything an organization/institution does outside of its core competencies. Having, in the past, run transportation operations for 2 major companies, I can assure that the Federal & State rules and regulations of such an endeavor are vast & onerous. From Driver Qualifications to Road Use Taxes to Vehicle Maintenance Standards/Records/Reporting, it's quite tedious & cumbersome. I would be very surprised if Wofford (or any other school) running their own vehicle larger than a passenger van with their own driver is in full compliance. For example, even though the Trans Ops was our primary competency, we outsourced our vehicle maintenance, fuel tax reporting, and drivers' records reporting. When I ran an operation in California, I outsourced the Drivers too. Furman Athletics should focus on winning games, recruiting/graduating outstanding student athletes, and getting paying customers to attend the events they host. As the old Greyhound ads use to say, "Leave the driving to us."

For another day......This concept is one of the reasons why I think the Presidents of P5 schools should make the right decision and 'outsource' their Football & Basketball Teams. Academic institutions do not (and should not) have running a PROFESSIONAL Sports Team as one of their core competencies....We'll save this for another day/another thread though.
Apologies, see my response also in the thread. Should have quoted you and responded directly.
 #12117  by Jasper
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm
I remember McKillop when he coached Long Island Lutheran in Brookville on the North Shore's "Gold Coast". That's Great Gatsby country, BTW. Not only did he win a ton of state championships in the private school division but he also played an OOC schedule against some of the best teams in the country and did very well. Quite a few big time college players came out of that program and I even recall a few decent pros. A local kid, he played at Chaminade HS which now produces some of the best lacrosse talent in the country. McKillop clearly understood the prime directive in coaching early on. Recruit better players than the other guy and you will win. I am sure he is being well compensated by Davidson and with camps, shoe contracts, etc. added on, he is making 7 figures and has a great life style. Unless Daddy Warbucks (Richardson) comes up with some long green, I would expect WC Coach Young will be plying his trade at a much higher profile college next season, especially if he makes a little noise in the dance. Hey, good for him. That's what gets you up in the morning.
Fessor liked this
 #12123  by Fessor
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:37 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:04 pm
Wofford even contracts out its athletic trainers, who are employees of Spartanburg Regional Healthcare.
I would have looked to Charlotte for that expertise.
 #12131  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:07 pm
I am fine with Woff falling to 0-5 in the NCAA's all time and never getting back there again
Fessor liked this
 #12132  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:30 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm
I remember McKillop when he coached Long Island Lutheran in Brookville on the North Shore's "Gold Coast". That's Great Gatsby country, BTW. Not only did he win a ton of state championships in the private school division but he also played an OOC schedule against some of the best teams in the country and did very well. Quite a few big time college players came out of that program and I even recall a few decent pros. A local kid, he played at Chaminade HS which now produces some of the best lacrosse talent in the country. McKillop clearly understood the prime directive in coaching early on. Recruit better players than the other guy and you will win. I am sure he is being well compensated by Davidson and with camps, shoe contracts, etc. added on, he is making 7 figures and has a great life style. Unless Daddy Warbucks (Richardson) comes up with some long green, I would expect WC Coach Young will be plying his trade at a much higher profile college next season, especially if he makes a little noise in the dance. Hey, good for him. That's what gets you up in the morning.
Mike Young is not leaving.
 #12136  by CharlieFU
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 pm
Having represented trucking companies for the last 30+ years, I can tell you if they are doing it in house, they are NOT in total compliance with FMCSR.

Similarly, there isn’t a nursing home in this universe in total compliance with federal OBRA regs. Doesn’t happen. DHEC inspectors are paid to find a violation. (The other industry I represent)
FUBeAR liked this
 #12138  by tya1
 Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 pm
I wonder if Young ever sent Larry Davis a thank you card. After all, Young was an assistant and then head coach at Wofford for eleven years in D1 basketball without a winning record until he got the players he picked up after Davis left for Cincinnati. Noah Dalhman committed to Furman before Davis left and then he and several of his AAU buddies from Minnesota became the stars and key players for two Wofford SoCon champs.

Although he could also thank Furman and Niko Medved. Furman for not hiring Medved after Davis left, and Niko for pointing him to Eric Garcia later when Medved was an assistant at Colorado State and told Young about Garcia. For that matter, Fletcher Magee had a reported offer from the Paladins months before he had one from the Terriers.
Fessor liked this
 #12140  by CharlieFU
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:31 am
tya1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 pm
I wonder if Young ever sent Larry Davis a thank you card. After all, Young was an assistant and then head coach at Wofford for eleven years in D1 basketball without a winning record until he got the players he picked up after Davis left for Cincinnati. Noah Dalhman committed to Furman before Davis left and then he and several of his AAU buddies from Minnesota became the stars and key players for two Wofford SoCon champs.

Although he could also thank Furman and Niko Medved. Furman for not hiring Medved after Davis left, and Niko for pointing him to Eric Garcia later when Medved was an assistant at Colorado State and told Young about Garcia. For that matter, Fletcher Magee had a reported offer from the Paladins months before he had one from the Terriers.
Just when I had managed to forget all this, you go dredging it up. The Dahlman thing just makes me ill. What a great player.