• ETSU's Steve Forbes for Man of the Year?

#11939  by CharlieFU
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:57 pm
Forbes has been named a finalist for Skip Prosser Man of the Year award. I am not making this up. Presented annually to those who "not only achieve success on the basketball court but who also display MORAL INTEGRITY off it as well."

ETSU then proceeds to list all of his basketball achievements and NOTHING about his "display of moral integrity."

What am I missing? Doesnt this discredit the award? A coach who has served a one year show cause suspension for his part in the Tennessee scandal under Bruce Pearl.

http://www.etsubucs.com/mbasketball/new ... ear-award/
 #11941  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 pm
Maybe they appreciate his ability to rehabilitate some of college basketballs 'ex-cons', after all we know he is willing to bring in the lowest of the low
 #11950  by fufanatic
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:36 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 pm
Maybe they appreciate his ability to rehabilitate some of college basketballs 'ex-cons', after all we know he is willing to bring in the lowest of the low
I see that both ways. I feel almost everyone deserves a second - and maybe a third chance - so I can appreciate that there are places that will give these young people an additional shot if for whatever reason their previous stop didn't work out. But if they are being used for their abilities alone, without the rehabilitation that might be needed, I have a problem with that. A basketball program shouldn't be some revolving door where players get brought in for a year or two and then tossed back out. I have no way of knowing ETSU's situation or how they run their program.
 #11964  by CharlieFU
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:38 pm
Clearly Forbes runs his program with transfers rather than developing players internally.

I counted 8 transfers on this year’s team. I was at last year’s senior night for them and of the multiple seniors on the team, only one was a 4 year player.
 #11965  by Fessor
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:06 pm
Something is fishy. Either Forbes had friends in coaching stuff the ballot box with nominations, he is friends with the folks at CIT, or there's something passed under the table.
Forbes might be trying to rehab his image because he senses he might be on the job market soon.
Surely he's feeling some heat at ETSU: highest paid coach in the league finishes fourth with mercenaries.
 #12603  by tim
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:49 am
ETSU lost their first round CIT game last night. 2 starters were in street clothes due to "concussion protocol". N'Guessan, their remaining big guy was seen arguing with the coaching staff. Things seem to be unraveling. Too bad, I hope they can continue to help us keep a high SOCON rating which is invaluable in the selection process. Also, unfortunately coach Forbes missed the game due to the death of his father.