• Wofford and the Finals

#11875  by gman
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:23 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 pm
I think there is mutual loyalty between that coach and that school. He will not leave there. Big donors will make it possible for Wofford to keep him, if he has any inclination to leave.
I agree, plus the administration is serious about sports, especially basketball. They will do whatever it takes to keep Young. He seems like the type of guy that will be where God wants him to be.
Affirm liked this
 #11876  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 pm
gman wrote:
affirm wrote:
I think there is mutual loyalty between that coach and that school. He will not leave there. Big donors will make it possible for Wofford to keep him, if he has any inclination to leave.
I agree, plus the administration is serious about sports, especially basketball. They will do whatever it takes to keep Young.
If he leaves because he wants to see if he is up to the challenge of another rebuild but on a bigger stage, then the money won't matter.
 #11877  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:42 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:20 pm
Fessor wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Mike is 53? I like him even more.
That's prime "second act" age. If he was ever going to leave, to see if he can cut it in a power conference, then it will be now.
Just don't leave to go to some place like Drake.
I forgot to mention that I don't know his age for certain, but his bio says he graduated college in 86 ... I assumed he was around 21 and add 32 years from then. So he's more than likely in the 52-55 age range. Assuming they make a change, a place like Wake Forest could be ideal. Small, academic-minded school that has a rich history. He could really make a difference there.
If he were to go to Weak (still liking that, Charles)...

(1) He could make a little (more than a little, actually) side cash getting kids who don't know a basketball from a golfball admitted as "recruits".

(2)If I'm not mistaken, Weak (why do I like this so much?) has been snared in this most recent FBI sting.

Reading Instructions:
Sentence #1 is in jest. I imagine Mike Young's integrity is impeccable.
Sentence #2 is not.
 #11878  by furpop16
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:22 pm
Fessor wrote:

... If I'm not mistaken, Weak (why do I like this so much?) has been snared in this most recent FBI sting.

Refer to "General Idiocy" for detailed reporting on the matter provided by yours truly.
 #11879  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:39 pm
Fessor wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 pm
gman wrote:
affirm wrote:
I agree, plus the administration is serious about sports, especially basketball. They will do whatever it takes to keep Young.
If he leaves because he wants to see if he is up to the challenge of another rebuild but on a bigger stage, then the money won't matter.
Loyalty (+ big donors’ retention money) = he will not care about “seeing if he is up to some challenge on so bigger stage”.
Loyalty and happiness will trump ALL
 #11881  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:42 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:22 pm
Fessor wrote:

... If I'm not mistaken, Weak (why do I like this so much?) has been snared in this most recent FBI sting.

Refer to "General Idiocy" for detailed reporting on the matter provided by yours truly.
I try to stick to BB. It's implied that all of my posts fall into the category of "General idiocy" ...
furpop16 liked this
 #11882  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:47 pm
gman wrote:
affirm wrote:
I agree, plus the administration is serious about sports, especially basketball. They will do whatever it takes to keep Young. He seems like the type of guy that will be where God wants him to be.
I agree with all that. I definitely agree the administration at Wofford is serious/smart about the highest profile sports. The Wofford Board apparently is also. Furman should be just as serious/smart about the highest profile sports. Definitely no disrespect intended toward any and all of the other sports at Furman.
 #11883  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:01 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:39 pm
Loyalty (+ big donors’ retention money) = he will not care about “seeing if he is up to some challenge on so bigger stage”.
Loyalty and happiness will trump ALL
I said if he were going to leave, then now would be the time. I'd prefer he stay. We'll see what he decides to do. If he were to go, Weak would seem to be an obvious choice: same color scheme, he wouldn't have to buy new ties. In addition, in some ways, Winston-Salem is sort of a bigger Spartanburg.

As far as loyalty goes, I imagine he would leave with Wofford's blessing (buy-out would be enforced, however). I can't imagine WC feels that MY owes them anything. On the contrary, he's given them success beyond their wildest dreams and given them a hometown discount for at least ten years to boot.
 #11884  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:39 pm
Mike is a great guy...That whole staff are very classy, and very respectful of how strong Furman is and how strong this league is.
 #11887  by purplehorse
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:29 pm
I consider Wofford our biggest rival in bb and football.

I have always admired Mike Ayers and Mike Young and even though I really don’t know them, they seem like folks of integrity and like classy folks.

I think the Southern Conference needs respect in bb and will be pulling hard for the Big 4 in all games in the postseason unless someone plays Furman.

I am a huge Bob Richey fan regardless of our team record. He is a class act. I would hope he would be a Furman lifer but I realize that Furman does not have the money that Wofford has. I would be shocked if Mike Young left Wofford. Not all coaches chase the money like Niko Meved did.

Truly the Southern Conference has 4 really good teams this year!
 #11888  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:32 pm
Wait a minute....Furman doesn't have the money Wofford has? Hold my beer...We're talking about allocation here and not money...Let's be honest.
 #11890  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:36 pm
And we're blaming this on Medved? come on man...He left I get it...But he left Furman in a better position than it was when he arrived!!!...He left Drake as a co-conference champ in their league.
 #11891  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:37 pm
I have problems when folks throw Medved under the bus...I really think he wanted to stay....But I love Bob...He's an amazing man and teacher...Bob and Niko are absolutely two of the best coaches in mid major hoops...Time will show that...I can promise that!!!!
 #11892  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm
I am glad Niko Medved left, Bob Richey is better

Richey > Medved
 #11893  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:51 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:32 pm
Wait a minute....Furman doesn't have the money Wofford has? Hold my beer...We're talking about allocation here and not money...Let's be honest.

Wofford has a $45 million endowment dedicated to athletics. To my knowledge, Furman has nothing remotely close to that.