• Wofford and the Finals

#11846  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:44 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:54 pm
Furman made 6 NCAA tourney appearances in a 10 year span from 1971-1980 and won 1 game, then began this 40 year drought

Wofford has made 5 in 10 years and won 0 games, after this season they can begin their own 40 year drought from the Big Dance
Is Mike Young leaving to go to Florida State?
 #11850  by CharlieFU
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:14 am
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Furman made 6 NCAA tourney appearances in a 10 year span from 1971-1980 and won 1 game, then began this 40 year drought

Wofford has made 5 in 10 years and won 0 games, after this season they can begin their own 40 year drought from the Big Dance
Have not heard that. But I did hear someone say Mike Young is candidate for Weak Forest.
 #11851  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:49 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Have not heard that. But I did hear someone say Mike Young is candidate for Weak Forest.
Morning,
That was an oblique reference to the event that precipitated our 40 year drought: our HC left for FSU.
I wouldn't think Mike Young would leave WC for Weak (I like that), but I guess anything can happen when the rich girl winks at you.
I want him to stay. The best thing for FU is a strong SoCOn.
gman, Affirm liked this
 #11853  by CharlieFU
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:02 am
Fessor wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Morning,
That was an oblique reference to the event that precipitated our 40 year drought: our HC left for FSU.
I wouldn't think Mike Young would leave WC for Weak (I like that), but I guess anything can happen when the rich girl winks at you.
It's a little early for oblique! Young had a chance to move up 4 years ago--and chose to stay. Would not surprise me if he did the same now. if they win a game in NCAA--a distinct possibility--his stock will rise even higher.
Fessor, Affirm liked this
 #11856  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:46 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:02 am
Fessor wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Morning,
It's a little early for oblique! Young had a chance to move up 4 years ago--and chose to stay. Would not surprise me if he did the same now. if they win a game in NCAA--a distinct possibility--his stock will rise even higher.
Feel like if he was going to leave he would have done it at any point in the last decade +. I'm sure he's gotten offers almost every year. I could be wrong, but I think he's a Wofford lifer.
Affirm liked this
 #11857  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:47 am
Flagman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:37 pm
Definitely pulling for G. More money in Furman’s pocket and we would have lost to the champion, for whatever that’s worth. Plus I don’t want to see Wofford go undefeated all year in conference. They’ve become my Patriots.
Not sure it means more money for Furman. A recent article posted here indicated the money goes to the conference for operational expenses and a fund for conference improvements. I'm guessing it's a trickle-down fund to ultimately help teams with self-improvement. An effort to assist schools upgrade their video capabilities to reach the ESPN platforms was cited.
Sure, but the more win shares the conference gets, the more money that trickles down to Furman and the other schools.
 #11858  by din23
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am
Flagman wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Definitely pulling for G. More money in Furman’s pocket and we would have lost to the champion, for whatever that’s worth. Plus I don’t want to see Wofford go undefeated all year in conference. They’ve become my Patriots.
Not sure it means more money for Furman. A recent article posted here indicated the money goes to the conference for operational expenses and a fund for conference improvements. I'm guessing it's a trickle-down fund to ultimately help teams with self-improvement. An effort to assist schools upgrade their video capabilities to reach the ESPN platforms was cited.
The article said, “That surplus unit, also worth $1.6 million over six years, would be split up, with half going toward the SoCon’s enhancement pool and half to league members, with the school that earns the at-large bid getting a double share.”

That’s the formula for any unit beyond the guaranteed one for an automatic berth and no wins. So Furman would directly receive money should the league earn any addition units, which are distributed as one per game played, I believe.
 #11859  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 am
din23 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am
Flagman wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
The article said, “That surplus unit, also worth $1.6 million over six years, would be split up, with half going toward the SoCon’s enhancement pool and half to league members, with the school that earns the at-large bid getting a double share.”

That’s the formula for any unit beyond the guaranteed one for an automatic berth and no wins. So Furman would directly receive money should the league earn any addition units, which are distributed as one per game played, I believe.
That said, I will certainly pull for Wofford in round one, but not sure if I can stomach a Sweet 16 or better run.
 #11862  by Jasper
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:51 pm
Both Wofford and UNCG are very good teams with excellent coaches. Wofford is obviously the more complete team with great consistency, balance and depth. The actually go substantially 9 deep in most games. Mike Young is an excellent player developer and game coach who does a really fine job of utilizing his bench & resting his starters. They even have a clutch star in Fletcher Magee, who I believe will play in the NBA. There is no shame in Furman losing to either of those teams. UNCG is a 3 headed monster led by Francis Alonzo with Dickey and Miller. We had a good opportunity to beat UNCG and didn't do. UNCG had a good chance to beat Wofford and they couldn't do it. The SoCon tournament was certainly seeded correctly. We were the 3rd best team. IMO, the league has gotten much stronger and deserves 2 spots in the NCAA's. Unfortunately, it does not look like FU will be one of them but that in no way should take away from a fun and positive season. I, for one, am going to root for Wofford to make some real noise in the tourney and certainly will root for UNCG if they make it in. That would do a lot for league cred in the future for sure. FU can help that as well with a good showing in the NIT if that is where we wind up.

Mike Young is going to get some offers this year that he has not gotten before and that will test his Wofford loyalty. With a top 25 finish and winning a game or so in the tourney, I am talking seven figure offers BTW. I don't know what he earns at WC or anything about his financial condition but that will be hard to turn down.
 #11863  by gman
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:52 pm
I sat behind a Wofford fan for their semifinal game. He was concerned about next year because of the possibility of losing their coach and losing the seniors. I told him not to worry about next year. Enjoy the present. He thanked me after the game. Nice fans at Wofford. I hope they do well, despite their students booing our players. Wofford students hate all things related to Furman.
Jasper, QCGlue, FU03times liked this
 #11864  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:16 pm
Jasper wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:51 pm
Mike Young is going to get some offers this year that he has not gotten before and that will test his Wofford loyalty. With a top 25 finish and winning a game or so in the tourney, I am talking seven figure offers BTW. I don't know what he earns at WC or anything about his financial condition but that will be hard to turn down.
Good points. I thought he was older to be honest since he's been around for 100 years, but he's still only 53, so it wouldn't be unusual to take a bigger job at this stage in his career. Still would be a little surprised if he leaves, because I do believe if he had been super interested in leaving he would have already, but maybe he's ready for one final challenge before retirement now that he's gotten Wofford to probably as high as it could go, and several of his best players are graduating. I certainly wouldn't shed any tears if they lost their football and basketball coach within a couple years of each other.
 #11865  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 pm
I think there is mutual loyalty between that coach and that school. He will not leave there. Big donors will make it possible for Wofford to keep him, if he has any inclination to leave.
 #11872  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Mike is 53? I like him even more.
That's prime "second act" age. If he was ever going to leave, to see if he can cut it in a power conference, then it will be now.
Just don't leave to go to some place like Drake.
 #11874  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:20 pm
Fessor wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Mike is 53? I like him even more.
That's prime "second act" age. If he was ever going to leave, to see if he can cut it in a power conference, then it will be now.
Just don't leave to go to some place like Drake.
I forgot to mention that I don't know his age for certain, but his bio says he graduated college in 86 ... I assumed he was around 21 and add 32 years from then. So he's more than likely in the 52-55 age range. Assuming they make a change, a place like Wake Forest could be ideal. Small, academic-minded school that has a rich history. He could really make a difference there.