furpop16 liked this
 #11110  by tya1
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:11 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:25 am
New rankings this morning 2/26.
WC down one to #20
FU up one to #47

Didn't realize that all of our losses except Sammy are quadrant one losses. The Sammy loss is a quadrant 4 loss which is the worse. No doubt that loss was a big negative.
Samford loss is still a quadrant 3 loss. Ironically, if we win Thursday our earlier loss might become a quadrant 4 loss after all. Samford is #160, which is right at the dividing line. A quadrant 3 loss at home is to teams ranked 76-160. If we win at their place it might knock them below #160.
 #11115  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:25 pm
tya1 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
WC down one to #20
FU up one to #47

Didn't realize that all of our losses except Sammy are quadrant one losses. The Sammy loss is a quadrant 4 loss which is the worse. No doubt that loss was a big negative.
Samford loss is still a quadrant 3 loss. Ironically, if we win Thursday our earlier loss might become a quadrant 4 loss after all. Samford is #160, which is right at the dividing line. A quadrant 3 loss at home is to teams ranked 76-160. If we win at their place it might knock them below #160.
They were 161 when I posted which made them a quid 4 loss at the time. IF we beat them I doubt they drop at all losing to a team app 120 spots ahead of them.
 #11117  by dinhead
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:57 pm
Here's a list of the best 3 non-conference wins of the big four according to the NET ratings:

Wofford
87 South Carolina
156 Coastal Carolina
242 High Point

UNCG
105 Louisiana Tech
129 Radford
230 Prairie View

ETSU
122 Georgia Southern
170 Winthrop
223 North Dakota St.

Furman
27 Villanova
128 Loyola
205 Gardner-Webb

How are they possibly ranked as high as they are with so few good OOC wins ?
None of these teams have more than 2 non-conference wins against teams in the Top 200 !
Nearly all of their best wins are against each other.

The selection committee gives OOC wins major consideration even above that of conference wins since schools can control their OOC schedules. This doesn't bode well for at large bids for any SoCon team but Wofford and their OOC resume is pitifully thin.
FU03times liked this
 #11119  by tya1
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:19 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:25 pm
tya1 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
WC down one to #20
FU up one to #47

They were 161 when I posted which made them a quid 4 loss at the time. IF we beat them I doubt they drop at all losing to a team app 120 spots ahead of them.
Samford could move up or down these next two games. Even close losses could help them.

Of course, winning our next two is the thing that really matters for the Paladins - for the record and momentum heading into the tournament, if nothing else. Whoever we play in the SoCon tournament will be a challenge in every game.
 #11123  by dinhead
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 pm
Here is a list of NET Top 100 teams ranked by the number of non D-1 games played:

1. Wofford 3
Furman 3
Liberty 3
4. UNCG 2
ETSU 2
Lipscomb 2
N.M St. 2
Utah Valley 2
20 teams with 1
72 teams with 0

If the SoCon wants to play in the "big boy sandbox" they need to stay out of the goldfish pond.
 #11163  by Affirm
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:34 pm
dinhead wrote:
Here is a list of NET Top 100 teams ranked by the number of non D-1 games played:

1. Wofford 3
Furman 3
Liberty 3
4. UNCG 2
ETSU 2
Lipscomb 2
N.M St. 2
Utah Valley 2
20 teams with 1
72 teams with 0

If the SoCon wants to play in the "big boy sandbox" they need to stay out of the goldfish pond.
That is impressive information.
I thank you for posting.
I am reminded that we seem to have fellow posters on UFFP who write things to the effect of saying that Furman cannot get enough D-1 schools to play us to fill our OOC schedule, and I believe that is untrue.
 #11164  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm
dinhead wrote:

1. Wofford 3
Furman 3
Liberty 3
4. UNCG 2
ETSU 2
Lipscomb 2
N.M St. 2
Utah Valley 2
20 teams with 1
72 teams with 0

I had read that the only way FU was able to get Villanova on the schedule was to play SWU and NGU as part of the Invitational Tournament. Sometimes playing those D2 teams is unavoidable.
 #11170  by gman
 Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:44 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm
dinhead wrote:

1. Wofford 3
Furman 3
Liberty 3
4. UNCG 2
ETSU 2
Lipscomb 2
N.M St. 2
Utah Valley 2
20 teams with 1
72 teams with 0

I had read that the only way FU was able to get Villanova on the schedule was to play SWU and NGU as part of the Invitational Tournament. Sometimes playing those D2 teams is unavoidable.
D2 teams are not part of that tournament.
 #11171  by soconjohn
 Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:10 am
FUPaladin08 is 100% accurate...Furman had to buy the game with Villanova and then take two non-Division I games...They had to take a chance at that opportunity, but also had to take two non-Division I foes...A win over a defending champ is a chance worth taking...Also, someone made a mention of schools reaching in the goldfish pond...A lot of times these games are forced and not desired...Ask any mid-major coach at a successful program, which has to buy games in tournaments and then has to fill dates as Furman did. The SoCon and NCAA require to fill so many dates with non-conference games. Many SoCon head coaches are scrambling late to find games because bigger programs don't want to risk the loss, as well as they would end up with a better NET or RPI by just scheduling another power five conference team. Like it would be better off for Kansas to schedule a Pittsburgh from the ACC than it would Furman. Rarely is Kansas ever going to see a benefit playing Furman.
 #11172  by soconjohn
 Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:11 am
Furman was also not part of the tournament...That being said it was a one-off game in the tournament...Villanova, after all, won the tournament.
 #11173  by soconjohn
 Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:12 am
Furman was also not part of the tournament...That being said it was a one-off game in the tournament...Villanova, after all, won the tournament.
 #11174  by soconjohn
 Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:18 am
I'll add one last thing, and I don't why the above comment posted twice, so I apologize...But in the world of big-time college basketball...Individual NET or RPI does not matter at all to big-time power five programs...The Missouri Valley can get more big-time programs because their conference NET is so high year-in and year out...It's not going to hurt a Kansas or a Florida to play a Drake or Loyola Chicago, but it would to play a Lipscomb....conference NET ranking is everything to power five programs...It's really all the committee cares about...With the SoCon being No. 10 out of 33!!!!Let that sink in...It matters less that Wofford's non-conference resume' is not that impressive in terms of who they beat...One thing is taking a bad loss is worse for your NCAA chances than lack of a signature win...But if you're getting three or four Quad 1 wins in your own conference...That's why non-conference really does not matter for Wofford...WHere non-conference matters is becoming a Quad 1 win, which UNCG did once because it was a road win for Wofford, while Furman qualified twice for Wofford as a Quad 1 win...If Furman and UNCG don't do so well in non-conference, those aren't beneficial wins to Wofford. In that respect to conference foes, what each team does in non-conference play is monumental.
MNORM liked this
 #11175  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:25 am
soconjohn posted 4 times today from 7:10 to 7:18. A fast typer! But the information seems to be true, and I am believing that it is true. Kudos to him for sharing all that. It does make sense, even if we may not like it, for Furman to have the OOC schedule that we have. We just need more money to be able to apply to basketball. There is a fund for that. Those of us who complain about the OOC schedule need to increase our giving to that as much as we are each able. We need more people to give to it. We need also to get one or multiple major benefactors for basketball.
I believe we may be doing the best we can with current resources, and I am thankful for that and for those who are working so hard. Again, with the information given by siconjohn, I acknowledge that it makes sense to schedule the very closest schools that are available - to have a schedule, to balance our budget, and to attempt to reach ALL our objectives. Go Furman! Beat UTC.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.