• Bubble Watch!

#11013  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:13 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:03 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm
gman you are just arguing to argue dude, I am pointing out the facts about our OOC, you can believe it or not that's up to you
The fact is, our OOC schedule has not hurt us so far.

Are we discussing "so far" or are we discussing what the committee will see come actual debate time?
 #11015  by MNORM
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 pm
MNORM wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:43 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:05 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:07 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:46 pm
ESPN says FU is still a possible at large despite the WC loss with "work to do". I'm not buying it but I hope they are right.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... oblem-2019
I would agree with your assessment, I think we are playing to secure an NIT bid at this point as we head into the SoCon Tourney. Would have to think we are an incredibly strong candidate for that tourney.

However, in my opinion it's not crazy to imagine that a Furman team that wins the final two regular season games, wins in the quarters and semis and loses close in the finals to Wofford, UNCG or ETSU wouldn't at least be in contention for a final at-large spot. Would be 25-7, have at least one Quad 1 win, a handful of Quad 2 wins, road losses to LSU, ETSU, UNCG and Wofford and home losses to Wofford and Samford in addition to a neutral site title game loss. In this scenario we get revenge on Samford (maybe twice in a week) and then get another solid win in semis barring any major upsets. With how strong the SoCon is this year, that's not a terrible resume. Again, I think it's a stretch, but worth mentioning.

We would be 26-7
But I don't see them taking a 7 loss SoCon team that most everyone in the national scene feels played a weak OOC slate

If we don't win the Tourney ill be happy with NIT though
What are your talking about? It’s our strong OOC slate that is keeping us in the national discussion. I will admit that we need to stop scheduling the lower division teams.
You'll need to take that up with the league office. Everyone in the SoCon plays (at least) three games against lower opponents. My understanding is this is a league agreement. Wofford played 3 lower tier teams and beat them by 59, 51, and 54 respectively. This is offset by their scheduling SIX games against power conferences...we scheduled two. What really need are better opponents to replace the likes of UNCA, USC Upstate, UNCW, Chas Southern.
I’m referring to teams like Bob Jones and North Greenville.
Those aren't going away. Like I said...take it up with the league office. Every team in the league (except maybe Samford) plays at least two of these games.
Wofford - Carver, Mars Hill, Kentucky Christian
Mercer - Piedmont College, Brewton Parker
Citadel - Mid-Atlantic Christian, Johnson, Johnson & Wales
Samford - Miles
ETSU - Hiwasee, Reinhardt
VMI - Washington College, Goucher, Kentucky Christian
UNCG - Greensboro College, Johnson & Wales
Chatt - Cumberland, Hiwassee, Bryan
Would I like for them to disappear, yes. But my understanding is that we have to play these per some sort of league agreement. IMHO, the bigger issue is that we're only playing 2-3 power conference games. We should be playing 4-5, like Wofford.
 #11017  by gman
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
gman you are just arguing to argue dude, I am pointing out the facts about our OOC, you can believe it or not that's up to you

Are we discussing "so far" or are we discussing what the committee will see come actual debate time?
I am discussing, so far. There is no need to discuss what the committee will see. Heck, at this time, they don't even know what they will see.
 #11018  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:38 pm
There is no such agreement with the league to play X amount of games against non-D1 opponents. OOC games are strictly up to the schools. Agree we need to schedule more power conference games. Doesn't have to be Duke etc.
 #11019  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:50 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

I am discussing, so far. There is no need to discuss what the committee will see. Heck, at this time, they don't even know what they will see.

I pretty sure we know the metrics the committee uses when comparing teams, and I am also sure that power conference schools get a lot more credit when push comes to shove
The NET is fine, but nothing has been proven from it as far as how it will be used, St. Mary's last year is a prime example of what the committee does to mid major at large teams, basically ignores them
 #11020  by MNORM
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
There is no such agreement with the league to play X amount of games against non-D1 opponents. OOC games are strictly up to the schools. Agree we need to schedule more power conference games. Doesn't have to be Duke etc.
I've heard differently. Either way, the D2/NAIA games are not the biggest issue. Almost every mid-major team plays at least two of these games. Even the big boys dabble in them, e.g. Tennessee played Lenoir-Rhyne and Nebraska played SW Minn. State. I want more games against teams in the ACC, Big East, SEC, etc. These games set you up for success in the conference.
 #11027  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:46 pm
MNORM wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I've heard differently. Either way, the D2/NAIA games are not the biggest issue. Almost every mid-major team plays at least two of these games. Even the big boys dabble in them, e.g. Tennessee played Lenoir-Rhyne and Nebraska played SW Minn. State. I want more games against teams in the ACC, Big East, SEC, etc. These games set you up for success in the conference.
WC is a perfect example of this. They scheduled 5 power 5 conference games(one was cancelled) and all of of their losses are against those teams which means more than 4 other wins would mean.
 #11032  by MNORM
 Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:46 pm
MNORM wrote:
apaladin wrote:
WC is a perfect example of this. They scheduled 5 power 5 conference games(one was cancelled) and all of of their losses are against those teams which means more than 4 other wins would mean.
Exactly. Wofford also played down to 3 teams...just like we did. Playing against higher (Power Five) competition sets teams up for success once conference play starts.
My hope is the success we've had as a program the past 3-4 years will open more opportunities to increase the amount of Power Five conference games we play each season...2 games doesn't cut it.
 #11035  by Affirm
 Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:36 am
It is great to play teams like UNCA, UNCW, Elon, Winthrop. The correction needed is to play fewer like BJU, Southern Wesleyan, NGU, USC Upstate, Charleston Southern, and replace 1 or 2 of those on our OOC with teams such as Georgetown, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Penn, Columbia, SMU, DePaul, Tulsa, Duquesne, Denver, Northwestern, etc.
 #11076  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 am
Butler and South Carolina both lost tonight and now have 13 and 14 losses respectively. Bad news is Indiana beat Wisconsin and are now 14-14 and 5-12 in the Big 10 so I guess they are back on the bubble. :shock:
 #11086  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:42 am
FYI in this mornings Net Rankings. Here is the breakdown on non D1 games played of the top 50 teams:
0-41
1-6
2-1 Lipscomb
3-2 FU AND WC
There is only 1 other team in the top 100 to play 3 non-D1 games(Liberty).
This needs to change.
Affirm liked this
 #11087  by Affirm
 Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:57 am
Yes. Beginning 2019-2020, I want to see no non-D1 on our schedule. And I want also to see at least 1-2 more power conference on our schedule.
 #11091  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:49 pm
Agree, I would be ok with one non-D1 and would like to have 4-5 power teams.
 #11092  by paladinfan12
 Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:50 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:57 am
Yes. Beginning 2019-2020, I want to see no non-D1 on our schedule. And I want also to see at least 1-2 more power conference on our schedule.
UFFP: "I want this, this, and this!! Why are we playing these no-name schools!?!"
Reality: The big schools choose who they play. We do not. Go complain on their message board.

*** Also, we lost to the biggest school on our schedule this year, LSU. If win a few of these big SEC/ACC games these non D1 wins won't matter. If we had 2 more losses to UNC and Tennessee on our schedule it would do us no favors. Probably hurt us.
 #11094  by CharlieFU
 Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:21 pm
Re Scheduling--D1 and DII Games

Here's an idea! Send a question in to Coach Richey's radio show. Or go to the show and ask him yourself. Or email him.

Or....continue too speculate and whine till the cows come home.
FUKA61 liked this