• Thoughts

#10903  by fu77fan
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:24 pm
Very , very disappointed in the outcome.
We simply did not shoot well enough in the first half and allowed them too many offensive rebounds.
I will give credit to Wofford. They are a very good team. I was thinking that we could beat them , but I was wrong
We have no choice but to move on. Hopefully we will learn from today’s game , win the next two, and be ready for the tourney.

GO Furman
Fuonetime, underjack liked this
 #10905  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:27 pm
We just don't match-up well against such lopsided officiating in Wofford's favor, game was controlled from the outset without question
QCGlue, Chuckles liked this
 #10907  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:45 pm
1 for 8 in the first half shooting 3’s is not going to get it done. We live or die by the 3. Some INCONSISTENCY is the word I would use to describe us this year. Need a few more pure shooters.

3 of our top 6 guys scored 10 points combined-that will not win many games.

Jackson 7-9 and Aluma 4-5 hurt us. Jackson had a better game tonight vs. in Spartanburg.

Magee 9 for 18, 5 3’s was the difference.

Kudos to Wofford for being 16-0 in conference and being 2-0 against the other big 3. If they lose in Asheville they absolutely deserve to get in the NCAA tourney and I would not want to play them. They are that good.

I know we can beat Wofford in Asheville if we bring our A game!

Kudos to the students. They would have erupted but we never quite got over the hump.

Thanks to Schuck, Williams, Brown and Rafferty for great careers.

And last but not least: Rafferty continues to be amazing. What an unbelievable senior year!
gman, Fuonetime, Fessor and 2 others liked this
 #10908  by gman
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:51 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
We just don't match-up well against such lopsided officiating in Wofford's favor, game was controlled from the outset without question
Stop it with the foolish comments. They were the better team. In fact, Wofford played the most complete game against us that anyone has the entire year.
Last edited by gman on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jasper, underjack, din23 liked this
 #10910  by Fuonetime
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:57 pm
Wofford is a very good team and today a better team. They have some high quality players as well as depth. We never looked real comfortable or confident. MR was stellar again. The good news is that we can beat them. It won’t be easy and hopefully we will get another chance at Asheville. Win the next 2 and bring your A game to the Socon tourney. Go Paladins!
purplehorse, Fessor, QCGlue liked this
 #10911  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:07 pm
Aside from the score, the one telling statistic is 2nd chance points - Wofford 10 - Furman 2

We made our last 2 or 3 3 pointers when the game was somewhat out of reach to finish at 30% for the night. We were 1 for 8 in the first half when they built the 10 point lead. In order for Furman to beat WC, we have to shoot threes at a minimum of 40%. We did not. We brought the defensive intensity but were outrebounded when it counted. Fletcher Magee made just about every critical 3 he had to - as he has done most of his career. He may play in the NBA.

Wofford was the better team tonight.
 #10914  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:25 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:07 pm
Aside from the score, the one telling statistic is 2nd chance points - Wofford 10 - Furman 2

We made our last 2 or 3 3 pointers when the game was somewhat out of reach to finish at 30% for the night. We were 1 for 8 in the first half when they built the 10 point lead. In order for Furman to beat WC, we have to shoot threes at a minimum of 40%. We did not. We brought the defensive intensity but were outrebounded when it counted. Fletcher Magee made just about every critical 3 he had to - as he has done most of his career. He may play in the NBA.

Wofford was the better team tonight.
You nailed it on all accounts. I think we brought our B game and Wofford their A game. I congratulate them for a great game and a phenomenal year. Hope we get another chance at them! We can absolutely beat them “on a given night” but it will take our A game.
 #10915  by CharlieFU
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:28 pm
Very good W team. Hope they get top 25 this week. Magee is clutch but we lost this inside. Rafferty can’t do it all. We got pushed around. But for some reason, I don’t feel too bad about this. Maybe it’s because W is that good. I have seen the three top teams play in person every time we played this year. Wofford is best “team”

Gurley and Slawson will develop some muscle. I cringe sometimes when Lyons throws up a 3 or dribbles into traffic. But the team really feeds off his energy and personality. You can see it.

Bryson Barnes in the house tonight. Or I think that was him.

We can still finish 24-6 which is quite good. We are raw in a few areas which leads to some inconsistency. But I still like this team and would love a rematch!
gman, FUKA61, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #10916  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:47 pm
I love CBR but I think he made a JJ like mistake that turned the momentum. After overcoming the early deficit and leading 19-16 and playing really well we subbed 4 people at one time something CBR has not done all year. Even though the starters retuned a couple of minutes later Mo had left the Paladins. After the sub we scored 2 points the next 6.5 minutes and only 9 points the last 12 minutes of the half and WC ran out to a double digit lead and we never got back in sync the rest of the half. Outside of Rafferty we really go pushed around underneath. We missed a lot of close in shots and it seemed like they hit a lot. They outscored us 12-2 in second chance points, this was the difference in the game.
Fuonetime, underjack liked this
 #10918  by CharlieFU
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 pm
Tre only played two minutes. Interesting.
 #10923  by fu77fan
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:22 pm
In order for us to have won the game , we needed to have brought our A game. We did not. We had a number of open 3s in the first half that we missed.The effort was there, but we came up short.

I hope that we can bounce back and win our next two games, so that we will have some momentum going into the tournament.

I would have loved for the seniors to have won their last game at home, but it was not to be.
 #10924  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:31 pm
We are not going to win a game in which Andrew Brown plays 23 minutes and does not score a point nor will we win a game in which Noah Gurley scores 5 points and gets 1 rebound. Mounce made 2 meaningless 3 pointers near the end but when the game was still on the line managed only 6 points. That's a total of 11 points combined for our forwards. Raff matched Magee but we had no answer for Jackson, #33. He is too big and much too strong for our guys.

I think Wofford is beatable but in order to do so, EVERYONE has got to show up. I did not see WC play great defense tonight. I saw a lot of missed shots from very close by FU. BB is a much simpler game than we make it out to be. Make your shots - you likely win.
furman88, QCGlue liked this
 #10925  by Fuonetime
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:36 pm
I agree with comment regarding critical substitution with a slim lead in first half. Reminded me of Paul Dietzel’s LSU Chinese Bandits 3rd string entering the game in mass way back in the day. Not the time to try that IMHO against a high quality veteran team. Of course, if it had worked we would be extolling it as a genius move.
 #10927  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:48 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:31 pm
We are not going to win a game in which Andrew Brown plays 23 minutes and does not score a point nor will we win a game in which Noah Gurley scores 5 points and gets 1 rebound. Mounce made 2 meaningless 3 pointers near the end but when the game was still on the line managed only 6 points. That's a total of 11 points combined for our forwards. Raff matched Magee but we had no answer for Jackson, #33. He is too big and much too strong for our guys.

I think Wofford is beatable but in order to do so, EVERYONE has got to show up. I did not see WC play great defense tonight. I saw a lot of missed shots from very close by FU. BB is a much simpler game than we make it out to be. Make your shots - you likely win.
True and Hunter only had 5 points. At times I felt we were playing 2 or 3 on 5. Like you said everyone needs to contribute in a game like this. Just didn't happen today.
 #10931  by din23
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Quit the whining. The officiating seemed very fair to me. Wofford’s missed 3s led to lots of long rebounds which they took advantage of. That was a key. You’re looking for an excuse when the real cause for the outcome is right in front of you- Wofford played better than us.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.