• Purple/White Game

#10767  by paladinduece
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:29 am
Who all is planning on being there Saturday. I know the weather is a concern, but I hope we have a showing for the team. Plus it is a big recruiting day being the first spring game it appears we have a lot of young men coming up for a junior day.
 #10773  by MNORM
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:29 am
paladinduece wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:29 am
Who all is planning on being there Saturday. I know the weather is a concern, but I hope we have a showing for the team. Plus it is a big recruiting day being the first spring game it appears we have a lot of young men coming up for a junior day.
Weather looks awful. Of course, 24 hours later, it will be in the mid 60s and beautiful.
 #10790  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:31 pm
Right now it looks like a 55-65% chance of light rain/showers with temps in upper 40's. Could be worse but certainly not ideal for a "spring" game.
 #10792  by gman
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:51 pm
Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 49. Northeast wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. That is the NWS forecast. If it holds, I doubt many will be at the game. It might be canceled. Sunday afternoon looks nice.
 #10794  by MNORM
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm
gman wrote:
Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 49. Northeast wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. That is the NWS forecast. If it holds, I doubt many will be at the game. It might be canceled. Sunday afternoon looks nice.
...wish they'd just move it to Sunday afternoon.
gman, bj93 liked this
 #10804  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:39 pm
MNORM wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm
gman wrote:
...wish they'd just move it to Sunday afternoon.
Me too!!
 #10864  by AstroDin
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:09 am
Really excited about today. Obviously, the quarterback play will be scrutinized. What other positions and players are you watching?

The defensive line should be interesting — Stokes should be next man up to replace J Reid, Tibbs moves over to DE, and Hodge at DT. I want to watch the guys fighting for depth and possible starts. Seabrook, Coleman, Lawerence, Sochovka, Lewis, Hanff. When Devonte Jones arrives in camp in the summer on paper the defensive line might just be the strength of the Paladin defense.

Bandit gets really interesting — Hope is back and after two smart player moves Bandit has really become an interesting position. I'll be watching Porter and Vann today.

Safety is another position to watch — sadly Annoor has played out his eligibility so we're going to have a new face at safety. Clay, Harden, Griffin, and true freshman Jones (#28) are another group of players worth watching.

At corner — I really want to watch new coach Rod Ojong. Gotta a feeling Coach Ojong is going to get his men fired up.

At linebacker, I want to see how Voyles looks and the development of Gilby and Hackett. Spur is deep but Jalen Miller is in camp so I'll be watching out for #36.

Concerning the offense - Sisson and Grainger's play will be the hot topic, so I won't spend time there. I do want to see how crisp we look in the running game — I think we're going to like what we see. Our offensive backfield is dynamic and will only get better when Anderson arrives in camp. I want to watch the play at running back of Maples and Abrams.

I'm hearing great things about Louis Hall - Hall was a big get in 2018 but last year was a rehab year. I'll be watching for #80.

The last thing about the offense is the depth — on paper we're getting deeper - Jumper (#62) is also in camp and we've already heard he's getting a bunch of snaps backing up Neely at center.
Jasper liked this
 #10865  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:09 am
Really excited about today. Obviously, the quarterback play will be scrutinized. What other positions and players are you watching?

The defensive line should be interesting — Stokes should be next man up to replace J Reid, Tibbs moves over to DE, and Hodge at DT. I want to watch the guys fighting for depth and possible starts. Seabrook, Coleman, Lawerence, Sochovka, Lewis, Hanff. When Devonte Jones arrives in camp in the summer on paper the defensive line might just be the strength of the Paladin defense.

Bandit gets really interesting — Hope is back and after two smart player moves Bandit has really become an interesting position. I'll be watching Porter and Vann today.

Safety is another position to watch — sadly Annoor has played out his eligibility so we're going to have a new face at safety. Clay, Harden, Griffin, and true freshman Jones (#28) are another group of players worth watching.

At corner — I really want to watch new coach Rod Ojong. Gotta a feeling Coach Ojong is going to get his men fired up.

At linebacker, I want to see how Voyles looks and the development of Gilby and Hackett. Spur is deep but Jalen Miller is in camp so I'll be watching out for #36.

Concerning the offense - Sisson and Grainger's play will be the hot topic, so I won't spend time there. I do want to see how crisp we look in the running game — I think we're going to like what we see. Our offensive backfield is dynamic and will only get better when Anderson arrives in camp. I want to watch the play at running back of Maples and Abrams.

I'm hearing great things about Louis Hall - Hall was a big get in 2018 but last year was a rehab year. I'll be watching for #80.

The last thing about the offense is the depth — on paper we're getting deeper - Jumper (#62) is also in camp and we've already heard he's getting a bunch of snaps backing up Neely at center.
You have it very well covered. Keep in mind that CCH historically does not put a lot of emphasis on this game but treats it more like a practice scrimmage. He is likely to hold out anyone nicked up and restrict the playing time of those with a lock on their positions. You mention Tyler Voyles. This is a tough, feisty kid with the kind of attitude you want in an ILB. Looks good this session and in line for more PT. Watch for Donovan Perryman as well. Moved to ILB last season and now has a year of experience under his belt - plus he is bigger and faster. Lots of spirit. Many of the defensive players see Jordan Willis at Spur as the heart and soul of the defense. Has a great nose for the football. Offensively, it looks to me like we will not miss any departed receivers at all. This is a very fast and talented group. And, of course, there is the QB position. We should learn a lot in this scrimmage and hopefully it will be reassuring.
 #10868  by FUBeAR
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:50 am
Jasper wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 am
Watch for Donovan Perryman as well. Moved to ILB last season and now has a year of experience under his belt - plus he is bigger and faster. Lots of spirit.
Yes - definitely watch for Perryman in 2019. This is going to be a big compliment, but may not sound like it...at first.

I hadn’t realized that Perryman made a position change in 2018...and at the beginning of the season, I consistently saw him in the wrong places doing wrong things. I was saying things (to myself) like, “OMG, #44 is the worst LB I have ever seen. He needs to come off the field & never return. Looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane’s baby sister.” Dumb fan stuff like that...but this is why Coach Lamendola is FU’s LB Coach & FUBeAR isn’t. By the lattter part of the season, #44 was MONEY...and all of his spirit and passion for the game was evident as he was in all the right places, doing all the right things...BIGLY!

He and McKoy just might be FU’s best pair of ILB’s since Green52 & Blitz51 (if he’s still on here)...or BHall & Coatney or Coatney & Hurst or Blankenship & whoever his running partner was...or whomever else of the many great Furman ILB tandems I’m omitting...

Bottom-Line...Perryman & McKoy, in 2019, are going to have other SoCon Offenses saying...

QCGlue liked this
 #10874  by furman88
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:49 am
Kevin Kendrick was Jeff Bkankenship's undesized partner at LB. Hope this guys are that good. Those two were a terror in their era.
bj93, FUBeAR liked this
 #10878  by The Jackal
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:35 pm
Mike Killian, Ced Ritter, and William Freeman wasn't a bad group either. If there was a middle linebacker university, and someone played middle linebacker for the football team, I bet he'd look a lot like Freeman.

Here's that 2005 Georgia Southern/Furman game. Go watch after the 23:11 mark and just look at whether you would want to block him. Baddest dude out there.

FUpaladin08, FUBeAR liked this
 #10893  by FUBeAR
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:35 pm
Mike Killian, Ced Ritter, and William Freeman wasn't a bad group either. If there was a middle linebacker university, and someone played middle linebacker for the football team, I bet he'd look a lot like Freeman.

Here's that 2005 Georgia Southern/Furman game. Go watch after the 23:11 mark and just look at whether you would want to block him. Baddest dude out there.

Yep - that was an awesome trio. Didn’t include them because 3 LB’s instead of 2 or 4 (depending on your perspective). Killian was the Mike when all 3 of them were on the field...and he was a ‘throwback’ cat...looked & played like the GREATS of the 60’s & 70’s...Nitzske, Butkus, Singletary...until that Pitt TE cheap-shotted him. I know Freeman got bigger & moved to Mike, where FUBeAR liked him a lot. But, FUBeAR LOVED him as an OLB...sideline-to-sideline speed & always arrived in a VERY bad mood. In a 4-3 alignment, I’ll take Killian for my All-Time Mike & Freeman for 1 of my All-Time OLB’s.
furman88 liked this
 #10921  by Purpleglasses
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:09 pm
Quite honestly, had it been live (and even though it was not live) the defense would have been the whole story on the wrap up.
Officials consistently (maybe by direction) allowed offensive drives to extend when stopped on 3rd and 4th downs.
Had they not done that, there would have been a lot fewer statistics posted.
I think they defense has a chance to be very impressive this season.

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.