• Practice today?

#10478  by paladinduece
 Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:48 pm
Just seeing if anyone got by practice today and had any observations? One week from Spring game.
 #10512  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:17 am
paladinduece wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:48 pm
Just seeing if anyone got by practice today and had any observations? One week from Spring game.
I was able to watch most of yesterday's practice and also had the benefit of doing so with 2 young men who are recent active players and therefore very familiar with the personnel.
Since a lot of folks on this board are concerned about the QB situation, I will start there. First of all, both of the scholarship QB's are much improved from the past season's start and seem to be more comfortable in running the offense each week. The caveat here is that we are watching drills and limited scrimmaging right now. Next week's live full scrimmage will tell a lot more about real time decision making, etc.
Hamp Sisson is very polished. He runs the offensive very smoothly. Yesterday he showed some excellent running ability on options and QB draws I had not seen before - very quick and elusive. His only obvious drawback is his size at a generous 6' and 180. Behind our very tall OL, he looks short. But he overcame that at a very high level of HS football in Alabama and I get the feeling that if he were 6'3" and 220, he would be playing at a Power 5 school. Darren Grainger does not have the experience and smoothness of Sisson but his athletic potential is very high. He could easily put another 20 lbs. on his thin 6'4" frame during the spring and summer. He is a fast and elusive runner and that kind of size would make him a very formidable cog in our ground game. Both players throw the ball very well with Grainger possessing a real cannon. As I said before, I think decision making will be the difference between these two players.
As we near the end of "spring" practice, there are more players nicked up and likely will be held out of next week's scrimmage. CCH did a lot of mixing and matching along both lines yesterday. With some position changes, we appear deep in both units.
Receiving corps is very deep as well. Notable yesterday were Ryan Miller, Louis Hall and Zach Peterson. I think Deluca (#83) is going to have a big season. Really knows how to get himself free when QB is scrambling and has great hands. Dillon Vann is going to make a lot of OT's & QB's very unhappy this season as a pass rusher.
 #10524  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 pm
It would appear that Coach Vaughn has an embarrassment of riches at the Bandit position. Between Hope, Porter, and Vann, Furman should be able to give offenses a steady diet of problems from that position.

Depth at that position and along the defensive front is going to help Furman late in games. You saw a number of times in 2018 where having Adrian Hope come off the bench really impacted the game in the fourth quarter as Furman was playing to protect a late lead either by a drive killing sack or forcing a turnover.
paladinduece liked this
 #10551  by sluggo
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 am
That doesn't sound good for Jemar Lincoln.
He won a game for us when we really needed him, so I hope he gets a fair shot at the starting position.
 #10556  by fufanatic
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:37 am
sluggo wrote:
He won a game for us when we really needed him, so I hope he gets a fair shot at the starting position.
Lincoln transferred at the end of the season. We have two scholarship QBs on the roster right now, but sounds like both are improving. That's exciting.
 #10564  by sluggo
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 am
fufanatic wrote:
sluggo wrote:
Lincoln transferred at the end of the season. We have two scholarship QBs on the roster right now, but sounds like both are improving. That's exciting.
I find it kind of scary rather than exciting.
Two red shirt freshmen and no QB with a win.
I'll hope for the best.
 #10574  by fufanatic
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:43 pm
sluggo wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
sluggo wrote:
I'll hope for the best.
Let me rephrase ... we are heading into the year with two scholarship QBs so that could be better, but to me it is exciting that both have showed great improvement after Grainger showed flashes last year. Not to mention they'll have an improved team around them. I get less and less concerned about this with each practice that these two get under their belts.
 #10587  by Jasper
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:57 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:43 pm
sluggo wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
sluggo wrote:
I'll hope for the best.
Let me rephrase ... we are heading into the year with two scholarship QBs so that could be better, but to me it is exciting that both have showed great improvement after Grainger showed flashes last year. Not to mention they'll have an improved team around them. I get less and less concerned about this with each practice that these two get under their belts.
Well, you are in good company. Spoke with CCH last week and he isn't concerned at all. We will get a much better sense when we see them perform in a live scrimmage next week. The fact that he did not seek out a QB recruit or transfer for the coming season tells me a lot about what he thinks of what he has. He will recruit the position hard for next year's class to achieve continuity.
furman88, fufanatic liked this
 #10590  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:26 pm
Saturday's scrimmage still scheduled at 1PM? In the past the actual scrimmage starts about an hour after said time. If it runs an hour and a half to 2 hours it will close to tip-off when it ends. Would like for them to move it up to 12. Can someone see if you can get this changed. 8-)
 #10595  by sluggo
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 pm
sluggo wrote:
LOL!
I got down voted for the truth without knowing how true it was.

Anyone know where Lincoln if headed?
 #10596  by paladinduece
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:31 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:26 pm
Saturday's scrimmage still scheduled at 1PM? In the past the actual scrimmage starts about an hour after said time. If it runs an hour and a half to 2 hours it will close to tip-off when it ends. Would like for them to move it up to 12. Can someone see if you can get this changed. 8-)
Contact FU bear he has access to the bat phone.
 #10598  by fufanatic
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:54 pm
sluggo wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 pm
sluggo wrote:
LOL!
I got down voted for the truth without knowing how true it was.

Anyone know where Lincoln if headed?
A quick Google and Twitter search turned up nothing, but maybe someone else has heard if he's found somewhere else to play yet.
 #10599  by Jasper
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:24 pm
He is at Georgia Southern but not playing football I am told. Wanted to be near home. Cant speak to the veracity of that.
 #10607  by sluggo
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:08 pm
Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah, I really wanted him to do good at Furman after watching his high school highlights.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5328938/57 ... 24981b9c7e

I knew it wouldn't be as easy as he made it look in high school; but it would have been nice.
Looking at Kyler Perry in high school and the way he performed in college gave me the hope in Lincoln.

Check out this high school game video with Kyler Murray in blue #1 and Matt Colburn of Wake Forest #31 in white.
That was an awesome game. State Champs of Texas vs State Champs of South Carolina.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.