Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:05 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:54 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:46 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:08 pm
In terms of attendance, another pitiful showing by the Furman students
How spoiled we have become. Most folks would be thrilled to have that student turnout for the past 20 years.

Your comment makes zero sense
The student section was less than half full just as it was for our game against ETSU, on a Saturday for a now 22-5 team that is sorry

Seems there are only 2 things that bring out the FU students
A) Undefeated and ranked
B) Wofford
You forgot the biggie "free stuff". My estimate which I think is pretty close on students was 150. I counted 200 empty student seats, 10 rows x 20. I expect a slight increase for next week, maybe an additional 50 or so. Do we need to discuss the 4 football players or just let it go?
 #10508  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:22 am
apaladin wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Bootie wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
How spoiled we have become. Most folks would be thrilled to have that student turnout for the past 20 years.

The student section was less than half full just as it was for our game against ETSU, on a Saturday for a now 22-5 team that is sorry

A) Undefeated and ranked
B) Wofford
You forgot the biggie "free stuff". My estimate which I think is pretty close on students was 150. I counted 200 empty student seats, 10 rows x 20. I expect a slight increase for next week, maybe an additional 50 or so. Do we need to discuss the 4 football players or just let it go?
I've got an idea. Stop griping.

For some of you perpetually dissatisfied, if it isn't the venue, it's the band, or the students, or the food, or the activities during a media timeout, or the volume of the music.

Relax and go watch the basketball game.
Jasper, furpep, FUpaladin08 and 3 others liked this
 #10509  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:22 am
apaladin wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Bootie wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

A) Undefeated and ranked
B) Wofford
I've got an idea. Stop griping.

For some of you perpetually dissatisfied, if it isn't the venue, it's the band, or the students, or the food, or the activities during a media timeout, or the volume of the music.

Relax and go watch the basketball game.

Oh stop it, I have hardly griped all season, Ive enjoyed the ride all season and the play of our team has been great, but the band should be at every game they are on campus for and the students have been pitiful in terms of total numbers these last 3 games, not a damn thing wrong with pointing that out.
We will get better at all this stuff over time, we will get there.

#StriveForGreatness
apaladin, fufanatic liked this
 #10511  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
I think the students will show up after Furman has both won the SoCon tourney AND won at least 1 NCAA tourney game. Who knows when or if that will ever occur again, although I believe there is a chance of it occurring again sometime in the next 38 years. There is a chance of it occurring again this year, but of course that would not affect student attendance until November 2019 at earliest.
 #10513  by MNORM
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:06 am
apaladin wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Bootie wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

A) Undefeated and ranked
B) Wofford
Would be a nice gesture if CCH had the football team shower-up and come straight over to support the basketball team after the Spring scrimmage.
 #10515  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Bootie wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

A) Undefeated and ranked
B) Wofford

What about the "4 football players"?
 #10517  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:02 pm
As a former student I can say for the most part the students are more interested in watching the bigger schools play on tv vs watching Furman in person. That’s the same for football on Saturdays. It because students aren’t attending FU due to their passion for The Paladins. You can’t force them to show up, and if you did, you can’t force them to cheer. It’s been said here many times already, but I’d take the passionate few over a packed student section looking at their phones.

I like the idea of building on what the Lacrosse team does with their support of the basketball team. I would like to see all teams work toward that, maybe in some sort of rotation. This would have to come from the top down with the AD and head coaches. Having all teams go to all games isn’t feasible, but if the football team can go to a basketball game, then a softball game, then a lacrosse game. The soccer team can attend a baseball game, a volleyball game, then a football game. I think the athletes are more prone to cheer for their peers vs the regular students. You have a boisterous student section, and you help the environment of the game. It might even lead to more students wanting to join, who knows?

It would take the head coaches to make it happen, and obviously their own team practices and games come first. But I see this as an easy choice for all coaches if they want to boost student participation in the stands across sports.
 #10518  by MNORM
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:14 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:02 pm
As a former student I can say for the most part the students are more interested in watching the bigger schools play on tv vs watching Furman in person. That’s the same for football on Saturdays. It because students aren’t attending FU due to their passion for The Paladins. You can’t force them to show up, and if you did, you can’t force them to cheer. It’s been said here many times already, but I’d take the passionate few over a packed student section looking at their phones.

I like the idea of building on what the Lacrosse team does with their support of the basketball team. I would like to see all teams work toward that, maybe in some sort of rotation. This would have to come from the top down with the AD and head coaches. Having all teams go to all games isn’t feasible, but if the football team can go to a basketball game, then a softball game, then a lacrosse game. The soccer team can attend a baseball game, a volleyball game, then a football game. I think the athletes are more prone to cheer for their peers vs the regular students. You have a boisterous student section, and you help the environment of the game. It might even lead to more students wanting to join, who knows?

It would take the head coaches to make it happen, and obviously their own team practices and games come first. But I see this as an easy choice for all coaches if they want to boost student participation in the stands across sports.
I have heard (from whom I deem a reliable source) that virtually the entire Wofford football team is in the stands for their home games.
 #10519  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:19 pm
Does the Lacrosse team even show up like they used to? I haven't really seen them. They were very noticeable before. I've been at every home game.
 #10521  by MNORM
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:27 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:19 pm
Does the Lacrosse team even show up like they used to? I haven't really seen them. They were very noticeable before. I've been at every home game.
They're usually at the games. They've had their own games the past two Saturdays. I expect they'll be in full force for the Wofford game as they do not have a game that day.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #10523  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:49 pm
Where are the 2000+ students who are not on any athletic team. It would seem that at least 20% of them (at least 400+) would be interested in and available for being there. I cannot understand why at least that number are not there without even counting student-athletes. Are they all studying, working a job, playing golf, going home, or doing social media?
 #10531  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:49 pm
Where are the 2000+ students who are not on any athletic team. It would seem that at least 20% of them (at least 400+) would be interested in and available for being there. I cannot understand why at least that number are not there without even counting student-athletes. Are they all studying, working a job, playing golf, going home, or doing social media?
I guess that’s what I’m getting at here. Those students come to Furman for the education, the campus, the study abroad opportunities, a music scholarship, an art scholarship, etc. I’m not sure any Furman students would say they chose Furman bc of the gameday experience. I sure wish they did, and I sure hope what we are doing now across most sports can get that kind of experience, but that’s just not the typical Furman student.

A 20 win basketball team SHOULD inspire more student turnout. Especially when playing another 20 win team. But we shouldn’t expect that much from the students. They aren’t the Duke crazies. They just aren’t interested in sports, and maybe more specificly, basketball.

Obviously the students that do come regularly and have passion are great to have in the stands. Maybe that’s where we should be setting the bar instead of expecting 600 students at every game? It’s frustrating to say, but until we see more we shouldn’t expect more.
GOAT liked this
 #10533  by Flagman
 Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm
I have spoken to two students in the past couple of weeks and asked about basketball games. One just wasn't into sports, and besides had to work at a campus job during the games. The other, a senior, attended her first basketball game of her Furman career (VMI). She also just into sports. Despite her dad being a Furman grad, she didn't grow up as a Furman fan, a condition that is probably true of 99% of our students. Am I disappointed in student attendance? Yes, but it is what it is. I'm invested in Furman sports: Paladin Club, season tickets in football, and basketball (men and women). I could ask why many of you don't attend the women's games. (Best ticket deal around, with men's season tix.)They actually have a better conference record than the men. Currently 2nd. I guess some just aren't into Furman women's sports. Our women's team works just as hard as the men and get hardly any support from our fan base or the students. How do you think they feel? The men get great support from us old folks and a dedicated and enthusiastic group of students.
FUpaladin08 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.