• Gonzaga 68 UNCG 64

#1037  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:46 pm
Didn't think I would be saying this but UNCG blew this game. along with some help for the refs in the last 40 seconds. With a 2 point lead and the ball with 40 seconds left UNCG tries a ally-oop that sailed out of bounds. Very bad and uncalled for in that situation. Then after Gonzaga ties it Alonso drives and gets fouled, misses shot. Bad no call. Then Gonzaga hits a 3 and UNCG get called for an offensive foul when a Gonzaga player fell backward into the UNCG player and cut his legs out from under him. How that was an offensive foul I will never know. UNCG still had one last shot to tie and a 3 pointer went in and out. Very tough loss for the Spartans.
AllKnighter liked this
 #1038  by FU69
 Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
Didn't think I would be saying this but UNCG blew this game. along with some help for the refs in the last 40 seconds. With a 2 point lead and the ball with 40 seconds left UNCG tries a ally-oop that sailed out of bounds. Very bad and uncalled for in that situation. Then after Gonzaga ties it Alonso drives and gets fouled, misses shot. Bad no call. Then Gonzaga hits a 3 and UNCG get called for an offensive foul when a Gonzaga player fell backward into the UNCG player and cut his legs out from under him. How that was an offensive foul I will never know. UNCG still had one last shot to tie and a 3 pointer went in and out. Very tough loss for the Spartans.
...and for Furman and the Southern Conference financially AGAIN!!!
 #1044  by Fessor
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:32 am
FU69 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
In $$ amounts, what is the difference to FU in UNCG winning and losing that game?
 #1045  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:02 am
Fessor wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:32 am
FU69 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
In $$ amounts, what is the difference to FU in UNCG winning and losing that game?

No idea, but it is not nothing. I think everyone did well off Davidson’s deep run 10 years ago.
 #1046  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:55 am
"Not nothing. ". I like that answer.
The wording of it, not the reality of it. I guess the reality for Furman is a choice among the following:
1. Accept status quo
2. Do like Davidson and get a better conference
3. Be more competitive ourselves ( Furman), so that sometime, sometime, sometime, Furman will not only get into the NCAA tourney, but actually win 1 or 2 or 3 games. But I guess it might be at least another 40 - 50 years, so I would never see it.
Unfortunately, # 1 is most likely choice, by far.
AllKnighter liked this
 #1049  by CharlieFU
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am
affirm wrote:
The wording of it, not the reality of it. I guess the reality for Furman is a choice among the following:
1. Accept status quo
3. Be more competitive ourselves ( Furman), so that sometime, sometime, sometime, Furman will not only get into the NCAA tourney, but actually win 1 or 2 or 3 games. But I guess it might be at least another 40 - 50 years, so I would never see it.
Do you agree we are at least making progress? If you listen or spend any time with Coach Richey, you know he is not satisfied with "status quo." By the way, a little perspective here--the status quo is a hell of a lot better than it was 6 years ago.

I agree the admin and athletic dept need to step it up---but our recent announcement of $1 million fundraising campaign for bball speaks volumes. And some of it is on us--to support the program and work to push it higher.
 #1050  by fufanatic
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am
What an outstanding game. As much as I hate seeing a fellow conference team do well purely out of jealousy, wins in March Madness are critical for a conference and the SoCon has just not been very lucky before or since Davidson's remarkable run. I feel like every year we are right there as a conference and every year it's a 3-7 point loss. I too don't remember the exact monetary amount, but basically a conference gets one share of money for making the tournament and another share for each win. The conference then usually gives the winning university a bigger cut before giving the remaining universities a share. I believe the great thing about it, is one win provides extra money for several years, so the Davidson run helped out the SoCon for the next 4-5 years at least. With all that in mind, it's easy to see how the top conferences stay on top. When you have 6-8 teams in the field every year, and you pick up maybe 10 wins each year, that's an insane amount of money for the league compared to the SoCon that has one team and zero wins almost every year.
Jasper, dornb liked this
 #1051  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 am
The conference gets app. 1.6 million for just making the tournament which is paid out over 4-5 years and is divided evenly among schools I am pretty sure. Each win is worth another 1.6 million.
 #1056  by tya1
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:36 pm
Agree with apaladin about UNCG blowing it. There was no reason to try such a risky pass with a two point lead and the ball and a minute left. Protect the ball and try to run a little clock and maybe draw a foul if Gonzaga gets antsy. Even if you don't score and Gonzaga scores you will get the ball back with either a tie score of down 1.

The SoCon office takes a cut of the NCAA tournament money to run the office and the rest (majority) of the money is divided among the schools with the tournament representative getting a larger share than the other schools.
fufanatic liked this
 #1057  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:35 pm
How much does it take to run the SoCon office since they don't do anything? ;)
 #1060  by Fessor
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:12 pm
tya1 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:36 pm
Agree with apaladin about UNCG blowing it. There was no reason to try such a risky pass with a two point lead and the ball and a minute left. Protect the ball and try to run a little clock and maybe draw a foul if Gonzaga gets antsy. Even if you don't score and Gonzaga scores you will get the ball back with either a tie score of down 1.

The SoCon office takes a cut of the NCAA tournament money to run the office and the rest (majority) of the money is divided among the schools with the tournament representative getting a larger share than the other schools.
Would you call that hazard pay for having to live in Spartanburg?
 #1065  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:01 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am
affirm wrote:
1. Accept status quo
Do you agree we are at least making progress? If you listen or spend any time with Coach Richey, you know he is not satisfied with "status quo." By the way, a little perspective here--the status quo is a hell of a lot better than it was 6 years ago.

I agree the admin and athletic dept need to step it up---but our recent announcement of $1 million fundraising campaign for bball speaks volumes. And some of it is on us--to support the program and work to push it higher.
Agree about the current status quo. I can accept the current status quo. We can still get better even w/o more wins per season, and w/o NCAA or NIT appearances. And NO, I do not consider what WAS the status quo of 5-10 years ago acceptable.
Also, I would rather have a good program that doesn't get in than having a bad program, being not proud of it due to ethical-moral-legal-academic-financial concerns, slipping into post-season on some fluke, and being embarrassed by or disappointed by the outcomes in the post-season. Let's continue to do things right and to do the right things. Again, I am thankful for and to this year's team and coaches. (By the way, and unrelated to my comments above, I wonder what UMBC's win over UVA last night is going to profit UMBC in PR and $$. A lot, I would say, particularly in student recruitment in the Baltimore area.)

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.