• (22-3) UNCG @ (20-5) Furman Feb. 14th

#10396  by fu77fan
 Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:10 am
It was s great team victory.

I do wish there had been more fans at the game.

We were down 6 points with about 8 minutes left. After the time out, Matt Rafferty took over the game , scoring 7 straight points. It was a thing of beauty.

In my opinion, MR is hands down the most deserving of the So Con Player if the year award.

Go Furman!!
furpop16, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #10401  by Jasper
 Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:32 am
Since the days of Bill Bradley at Princeton and Larry Bird at Indiana State, I have not seen a player put a team on his back and carry them to victory like Matt Rafferty did last night against UNCG. I am well aware that it is not the national stage upon which those BB immortals' performed but for his time and place, I cannot imagine a more valuable all around contribution to his team's eventual win than Raff's. Just when it looked like UNCG was going to pull away, Rafferty took complete control of the game with points, rebounds, steals and great passes. He is hands down the MVP in the So Con and deserves all the honors his school wishes to bestow upon him.
apaladin, furpop16, PaladinPower and 5 others liked this
 #10403  by fufanatic
 Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:39 am
To me, Rafferty being named Player of the Year is a no-brainer ... in SoCon games only (which I believe is how the awards are tallied), MR is 5th in PPG, 3rd in RPG, 1st in FG%, 5th in APG, 7th in FT%, 1st in SPG, 11th in BPG, 5th in assist/turnover ration, 6th in offensive boards per game, 3rd in defensive rebounds per game and 7th in minutes per game.

Compare that to Cameron Jackson, who is 14th in PPG, 11th in RPG, 4th in FG%, 9th in APG, 13th in FT%, 5th in SPG, 4th in BPG, 4th in assist/turnover ratio, t-8th in offensive rebounds per game and t-12th in defensive rebounds per game. So Jackson is ahead of Rafferty in a whopping two categories (blocks and assist/turnover ratio).

Other comparison is Magee, who is 1st in PPG, 11th in FG%, 1st in FT%, 3rd in 3FG% and 1st in 3FGM. But does he make his team better as much as Rafferty does? No. Is he the all-around player Rafferty is? No.

My concern is that the league's coaches and media will feel obligated to give it to the flashy Magee, who's had a couple of buzzer beaters and plays on a team that will win the regular season crown and potentially go undefeated. But we will see. Rafferty really hasn't had any bad games this season ... a couple he hasn't scored a ton in, but he'll still fill up the stat sheet in other ways. I'm sure opposing coaches are recognizing it.
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #10409  by MNORM
 Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:20 am
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:39 am
To me, Rafferty being named Player of the Year is a no-brainer ... in SoCon games only (which I believe is how the awards are tallied), MR is 5th in PPG, 3rd in RPG, 1st in FG%, 5th in APG, 7th in FT%, 1st in SPG, 11th in BPG, 5th in assist/turnover ration, 6th in offensive boards per game, 3rd in defensive rebounds per game and 7th in minutes per game.

Compare that to Cameron Jackson, who is 14th in PPG, 11th in RPG, 4th in FG%, 9th in APG, 13th in FT%, 5th in SPG, 4th in BPG, 4th in assist/turnover ratio, t-8th in offensive rebounds per game and t-12th in defensive rebounds per game. So Jackson is ahead of Rafferty in a whopping two categories (blocks and assist/turnover ratio).

Other comparison is Magee, who is 1st in PPG, 11th in FG%, 1st in FT%, 3rd in 3FG% and 1st in 3FGM. But does he make his team better as much as Rafferty does? No. Is he the all-around player Rafferty is? No.

My concern is that the league's coaches and media will feel obligated to give it to the flashy Magee, who's had a couple of buzzer beaters and plays on a team that will win the regular season crown and potentially go undefeated. But we will see. Rafferty really hasn't had any bad games this season ... a couple he hasn't scored a ton in, but he'll still fill up the stat sheet in other ways. I'm sure opposing coaches are recognizing it.
Guess we should just shut MaGee down next Saturday...kinda like we did last year at Timmons.
FGM 4-12
3PT 1-5
REB 4
Total of 10 points.
FUKA61, fufanatic, dornb and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.