• Latest Saturday Practice

#10270  by FUBeAR
 Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:43 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:25 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 pm
Some of you will think that's overboard, but I'm okay with that...This was a young team last year that could have folded, but didn't...That showed me something about their collective character.
I am 100% of the opinion that there were several games last year we would have lost a few years ago.

The ETSU game was a black eye, but I can get a big picture of us losing to WCU, Mercer, the Citadel and UTC under prior administrations. In each of those games we got a lead and survived a late push from the opponent. Character building stuff.
Did a little more than that in the Mercer game...After leading most of the game, fell behind, on the road, in the 4th quarter...and came back to win.

Clear demonstration of a Team TRULY EXPECTING to win...which, as most know, FUBeAR believes is THE primary attribute required for a Team to win tough games, and to win consistently.
Rokawaylifer liked this
 #10284  by tim
 Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:15 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:43 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:25 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 pm
Some of you will think that's overboard, but I'm okay with that...This was a young team last year that could have folded, but didn't...That showed me something about their collective character.
I am 100% of the opinion that there were several games last year we would have lost a few years ago.

The ETSU game was a black eye, but I can get a big picture of us losing to WCU, Mercer, the Citadel and UTC under prior administrations. In each of those games we got a lead and survived a late push from the opponent. Character building stuff.
Did a little more than that in the Mercer game...After leading most of the game, fell behind, on the road, in the 4th quarter...and came back to win.

Clear demonstration of a Team TRULY EXPECTING to win...which, as most know, FUBeAR believes is THE primary attribute required for a Team to win tough games, and to win consistently.
Yeah Man, I remember hearing Tim Sorrells talking about how the older Furman teams expected to win and had the opponents expecting to lose. I know I will remember that final drive against Mercer the rest of my life.
 #10304  by gofurman
 Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 am
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:32 pm
Wins: Georgia State, Charleston Southern, Wofford, The Citadel, Western Carolina, Mercer, ETSU, Chattanooga, VMI, Point

Losses: at Virginia Tech, at Samford
Good hopes soconjohn. I hope you are right. But we saw the huge( !). difference this year w and w/out Roberts QB. Sisson is young and Grainger hardly has his high school experience. I believe we are building good things and I believe in CCH. I think 2020 is even more promising.

I'll say 8-4 ... And would be happy at that as that's possible playoffs w a young QB. 4 Losses at VT. And three of Samford, Georgia State (they beat KSU), Wofford (haven't won in Sparkle for a while), Mercer. Mercer particularly scares me. With Roberts we barely got out last year and they were very thin on QBs. They finally brought in QB2 w a bad ankle and he brought them roaring back. With both healthy QBs they are scary. Best QB tandem in SoCon is at Mercer and we struggle with that. They were starting to throw all over the place and that bowling ball of a RB is scary.

Also agree we may see Sisson start and Grainger later? Grainger is just inexperience without having played HS QB
 #10308  by The Jackal
 Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:19 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 am
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:32 pm
Wins: Georgia State, Charleston Southern, Wofford, The Citadel, Western Carolina, Mercer, ETSU, Chattanooga, VMI, Point

Losses: at Virginia Tech, at Samford
Good hopes soconjohn. I hope you are right. But we saw the huge( !). difference this year w and w/out Roberts QB. Sisson is young and Grainger hardly has his high school experience. I believe we are building good things and I believe in CCH. I think 2020 is even more promising.

I'll say 8-4 ... And would be happy at that as that's possible playoffs w a young QB. 4 Losses at VT. And three of Samford, Georgia State (they beat KSU), Wofford (haven't won in Sparkle for a while), Mercer. Mercer particularly scares me. With Roberts we barely got out last year and they were very thin on QBs. They finally brought in QB2 w a bad ankle and he brought them roaring back. With both healthy QBs they are scary. Best QB tandem in SoCon is at Mercer and we struggle with that. They were starting to throw all over the place and that bowling ball of a RB is scary.

Also agree we may see Sisson start and Grainger later? Grainger is just inexperience without having played HS QB
I think you'll see massive maturation in Darren Grainger in his second year in the program. Furman didn't use a scholarship on a QB in this class and does not look to be in the market for a transfer, that suggests that the coaching staff is comfortable with what they have at that position in 2019.

Remember too that whichever QB starts, he will be behind a now battle-tested and deep offensive line and backed by arguably the best group of backs in the league. If our running game continues to get better (no reason to think it won't), that'll take a huge burden off the QB to make all the plays.

I won't project yet the final record, but I think Furman will be a handful for every team on our schedule. I'm seeing a team that knows how to win and expects to win. Furman won a conference championship last year and I am pretty sure we haven't gotten anywhere near our ceiling yet.
FUKA61 liked this
 #10310  by cavedweller2
 Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 am
While beating VPI may be a long shot they are in turmoil. Multiple transfers out of the program. Disgruntled and Dysfunctional on their part could lead to a surprising Paladin upset. Though I wouldnt be too surprised.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #10312  by The Jackal
 Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 am
While beating VPI may be a long shot they are in turmoil. Multiple transfers out of the program. Disgruntled and Dysfunctional on their part could lead to a surprising Paladin upset. Though I wouldnt be too surprised.
We return virtually the entire offense and will probably be as deep on defense as we've been in years. We lost some players on that side of the ball, of course, but have a lot of talent returning.

Personally, I think if we can get some steady QB play and have some players step into key roles on defense (primarily at safety and NG), I think we will be pretty good.
dornb, DeepPurple liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.