• Ticket Confusion

#10196  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 pm
Admitting I don’t know what I’m talking about.
Still, here are some ideas.
A. Season ticket holders should be encouraged to offer their unwanted seats for an individual game back to the ticket office as late as 2 weeks (14 days) prior to any game, especially any game that is expected to be one of high interest/demand.
B. The ticket office then should proceed to attempt to sell each and every one of those, at face value; or even give them away to persons expected to favor Furman.
A. SRO sales, up to 100 tickets, should occur. SRO’s should be allowed to move to empty seats at a designated time per the game clock, but still required to vacate if a person shows up with ticket for the seat.
B. After experimenting and ironing out problems with the up-to-100 SRO’s, eventually and gradually increase that number.
 #10197  by Fessor
 Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:17 pm
MNORM wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:29 pm
The parking attendants may be the most inept group we've ever contracted with at Furman.
Quite a statement considering that they didn't even run over someone sunbathing.
 #10199  by Paladin64
 Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:38 pm
As the saying goes “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.”

Well the system is obviously BROKEN! I agree with all the comments above. At a minimum the students should be required to sign up for tickets in advance, and then any leftover seats go on sale 24 hours before the game.

Wouldn’t Dwight be the person for someone to contact and help us get educated here?

Having all those empty seats in the student section makes no sense to me! What gives?
I will be glad to enlighten everyone.
We had a large number of fans that paid us full price for tickets that decided just not to show up yesterday. Your guess is as good as mine. Pretty day. Cold and flu season. Other things in life came up. They have a right to choose to not attend. As you know we send out emails and texts every week to remind fans when our games take place and links to purchase tickets. If you are not receiving these communications and would like to, please email me and let me know how you would like to receive your updates.

We sold every seat in the house except for student tickets. We were done on Wednesday prior to the game.
We can’t hold seats for students and sell them at the same time. Since the Christmas break students have been able to claim their tickets in advance online using their cell phones or computers. It is a very simple process and has worked very well. We did this so we would know how many are coming and who is coming.

What we have found is that the student crowd we are getting is much more engaged in the game! They looked like more of a student crowd yesterday than ever before holding up signs and standing up and cheering most of the game. I believe this is because we are getting on their calendars early in the week because we distribute tickets beginning on Monday prior to that week's games and they can claim them all through the week. The students get several communications from me during the week about tickets and our marketing department works very hard to get the word out to students. (See the sidewalk chalk as just one example.) Furman Marketing gave all students that came to the game yesterday free pizza.

We could cut the students off at 24 hours prior to the game, and sell the remaining tickets, but the decision has been made for now not to do that so that we don’t shortcut tickets to students. It would be very difficult to sell tickets in the student section in 24 hours prior to the game and make any significant dent.
Also, folks on here that are saying we’re turning away folks and fans are not able to get tickets. This is just not true. We are open 24/ 7 / 365 online and fans can call the box office during regular hours and buy tickets or they can come to Timmons during the week. Our database has ballooned again this season and we’re getting repeat business from all over Greenville and the Upstate. That’s the reason we have had very good crowds for most of our games. If folks are waiting until gameday to walk up and buy, they are risking that we do not have a ticket to sell them. We only have so many seats to sell.

Please call me if you would like to discuss further. 864-607-5148. Glad to answer any questions.
I am also looking for some more group leaders for football season. If you are involved as a member of a church, Sunday school class, in a youth athletic team or league, scout leader, or would like to bring customers or your company to a game, I would like for you to become a Paladin Code Talker. We have over 60 Paladin Code Talkers that are fantastic leaders. Four Code Talkers brought a total of 453 new people to yesterday's game. That is exciting!

Go, Paladins!
Dwight Covington
Last edited by Paladin64 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUpaladin08, MNORM, QCGlue liked this
 #10200  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:41 pm
Thanks Dwight for clearing some thing s up. Many, including myself have suggested we sell some GA or SRO tickets after all reserved tickets are gone. After it is obvious that seats are open these fans could move to those seats if they choose. I guess we did turn people away yesterday as the ticket office was closed. Wouldn't the above be better than sending folks away? Has any thought been given to opening more seats?
 #10202  by furpop16
 Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 pm
Thank you for being gentle with us, Dwight!
 #10203  by Paladin64
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:41 pm
Thanks Dwight for clearing some thing s up. Many, including myself have suggested we sell some GA or SRO tickets after all reserved tickets are gone. After it is obvious that seats are open these fans could move to those seats if they choose. I guess we did turn people away yesterday as the ticket office was closed. Wouldn't the above be better than sending folks away? Has any thought been given to opening more seats?
Good question. Simple answer we cannot oversell the building. SRO has to be approved by the fire marshall and probably other county building peeps. Greenville has the toughest fire codes in the state as the result of a hotel fire 12 years ago. We have very few places to put SRO and those spots have to be designated and then monitored and cannot impede egress out of the building.
We have come a long way in building back a fan base at basketball and have gotten more people to come out. Remember what it used to look like on any given Saturday? We are still a work in progress. Duke was not built in a day.
 #10204  by Paladin64
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:39 am
affirm wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 pm
Admitting I don’t know what I’m talking about.
Still, here are some ideas.
A. Season ticket holders should be encouraged to offer their unwanted seats for an individual game back to the ticket office as late as 2 weeks (14 days) prior to any game, especially any game that is expected to be one of high interest/demand.
B. The ticket office then should proceed to attempt to sell each and every one of those, at face value; or even give them away to persons expected to favor Furman.
This has been tried before with our folks that have seats and are not showing up or are not using all of their purchased seats. We encourage them to email or give their tickets to someone else. It is a whole other can of worms to ask a season ticket holder to give you back his/her seats that they have PAID for. and to our most popular games or any game for that matter.
We have made progress in this area also, by getting more of our regulars to attend regularly.
 #10206  by Fessor
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:28 am
Paladin64 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 pm
We had a large number of fans that paid us full price for tickets that decided just not to show up yesterday. Your guess is as good as mine. Pretty day. Cold and flu season. Other things in life came up. They have a right to choose to not attend. As you know we send out emails and texts every week to remind fans when our games take place and links to purchase tickets. If you are not receiving these communications and would like to, please email me and let me know how you would like to receive your updates.
You're asking season ticket holders to give the tickets back so you can resell them/give them away? If unused tickets is a significant problem, have you considered setting up a Furman-approved resell portal and either running it yourself, or, much better, letting TicketMaster both set it up and run it for you? Cap the amount charged to no more than 10% over face value. It would offer buyers a guarantee as to the legitimacy of the tickets, would give some incentive for ticket holders to act, and would undercut greedy resellers on StubHub (where I can pay $416 for 4 tickets on the stage side to the Wofford game).

BTW, as you know better than most, these are high class problems and one benefit of scarcity of tickets is that it should increase season ticket sales.
 #10225  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Thank you for your efforts Dwight
But yet the entire endzone section was completely empty next to the band, that is an embarrassing problem when the game is announced as a "sellout" days in advance, how do you guys plan to address that in the future as I don't see where you address that?
 #10228  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:14 pm
Bootie wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:10 pm
God bless you, Dwight. Thanks for all you do and have to deal with.

As long as we acknowledge our mistakes, learn from them and take the necessary steps to perfect our process we will get there eventually.
A lot of buzz on this team due to our success this year and gradually improving the last 4 years really, gotta take full advantage of it!
 #10233  by Flagman
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:13 pm
Some people (especially quite a few on this board) aren't happy unless they are complaining. It should be enough that we are one of just a few teams with 20 wins at this point in the season. We have the winningest senior class in modern times. Timmons, despite its short-comings, has rocked. We have three more opportunities to show this team how much we appreciate their accomplishments. Moving forward, continue to show up. If you're not already, join the Paladin Club.
FUKA61, FU03times, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #10235  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:26 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:13 pm
Some people (especially quite a few on this board) aren't happy unless they are complaining. It should be enough that we are one of just a few teams with 20 wins at this point in the season. We have the winningest senior class in modern times. Timmons, despite its short-comings, has rocked. We have three more opportunities to show this team how much we appreciate their accomplishments. Moving forward, continue to show up. If you're not already, join the Paladin Club.

What does this have to do with an entire section of stands being left completely empty?

Its ok I know, we dropped the ball on this one, but we just gotta learn, get better at our process, and hopefully perfect it
apaladin liked this
 #10238  by Affirm
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 pm
It is possible that the so-called complainers are trying to help make the already good season into something even better with more fans supporting this high achieving team AND ensure that Furman basketball can build for the future as well. If weaknesses exist, it is best to deal with them. This takes nothing away from the present team and season.
FUKA61, apaladin, gman and 2 others liked this
 #10239  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 pm
It is possible that the so-called complainers are trying to help make the already good season into something even better with more fans supporting this high achieving team AND ensure that Furman basketball can build for the future as well. If weaknesses exist, it is best to deal with them. This takes nothing away from the present team and season.

Exactly, all I see here is essentially forward thinking on improving, which is positive by nature. We have a very small arena (2,500 being a sellout) so we need to maximize every single seat possible. We will get there!
apaladin, gman, Affirm and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.