• Socon Hall of Fame

#1301  by Mr. Taggart
 Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:50 pm
I don't know who elects the Hall of Fame, but I saw Mike Ayers was elected this year -- only the 4th football coach, after Wallace Wade, Gen. Neyland, and Jerry Moore.

People whom Ayers was elected ahead of: Paul Johnson, Dick Sheridan, Jimmy Satterfield, Bobby Johnson, Bob Waters, Mack Brown, Sparky Woods, Marv Levy, Joe Morrison, Frank Howard, Jim Donnan, Pat Dye, and Tim Stowers.

Of those, Paul Johnson, Tim Stowers, Jim Donnan and Jimmy Satterfield won FCS titles, while Sheridan, Bobby Johnson, and Waters made a Championship game. Ayers' greatest success was one FCS Semifinal, the same as Bobby Lamb.

Ayers had a great career, but him getting into the HoF ahead of Paul Johnson is like putting Tommy Bowden in the Clemson Ring of Honor ahead of Dabo.
Jasper, Paladin82, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #1307  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:50 pm
I don't know who elects the Hall of Fame, but I saw Mike Ayers was elected this year -- only the 4th football coach, after Wallace Wade, Gen. Neyland, and Jerry Moore.

People whom Ayers was elected ahead of: Paul Johnson, Dick Sheridan, Jimmy Satterfield, Bobby Johnson, Bob Waters, Mack Brown, Sparky Woods, Marv Levy, Joe Morrison, Frank Howard, Jim Donnan, Pat Dye, and Tim Stowers.

Of those, Paul Johnson, Tim Stowers, Jim Donnan and Jimmy Satterfield won FCS titles, while Sheridan, Bobby Johnson, and Waters made a Championship game. Ayers' greatest success was one FCS Semifinal, the same as Bobby Lamb.

Ayers had a great career, but him getting into the HoF ahead of Paul Johnson is like putting Tommy Bowden in the Clemson Ring of Honor ahead of Dabo.
And...even worse, after over 80 years as a SoCon Member school, the HoF finally let the 1st bellhop in...a baseball coach, who lost almost 400 games (perfect!)...and, actually they even stooped to admit 1.5 luggage toters, cuz their other 1st HoFamer is shared with ETSU.
Mr. Taggart liked this
 #1359  by fufanatic
 Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:02 pm
I certainly won't justify it, because I agree with you, but I would imagine that there are politics involved ... AKA it's important to have all schools represented when possible, have a balance of schools and sports in any one year, have diversity in the candidates, etc. And since Wofford hasn't been in the league very long, but has had some pretty good success since joining, especially across football and men's basketball, I'm sure there was internal pressure to throw them a bone (no pun intended) as we are now in the 7th class of the hall of fame. To be fair, Moore does have a remarkable legacy, even though his most impressive work (taking a team from I believe NAIA to DII to FCS) happened mostly before getting to the SoCon. So he is a good candidate from an active SoCon member school that I don't believe has been represented yet. I see why it happened.

On another note, I believe league representatives, school representatives and media that cover the league are involved in voting, but I could be wrong.
 #1364  by Mr. Taggart
 Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:55 am
Sheridan, Satterfield, Johnson and Johnson managed to find their success without an NFL owner bankrolling their efforts. I think Mike Young has a strong HoF argument than Ayers TBH.
 #1366  by fufanatic
 Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:04 am
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Sheridan, Satterfield, Johnson and Johnson managed to find their success without an NFL owner bankrolling their efforts. I think Mike Young has a strong HoF argument than Ayers TBH.
I definitely agree with that! I'm guessing Mike Young will be a no-brainer when he retires.
 #1373  by Flagman
 Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:54 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:04 am
Mr. Taggart wrote:
I definitely agree with that! I'm guessing Mike Young will be a no-brainer when he retires.
I bumped into Mike Young before the Furman-Wofford football play-off game last year. I agree with you. He is a "no brainer". I hope you get my drift.
 #1446  by sluggo
 Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:20 am
Maybe Ayers got in for not using salt tabs for 30 years.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.