• Bunting!!

#1012  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:16 pm
My pet peeve. I don't know if this is even possible but I believe CBH likes to bunt more than CRS. Tonight after the Paladins had scored 4 runs to take a 4 -3 lead there was still no outs. With a man on second we bunt and kill the rally. Why do you bunt a man into scoring position when he is already in scoring position? To me one base for one out is not good baseball. The pitcher on the mound had just given up back to back gap shots so its not like he was fooling anyone.
FU69 liked this
 #1015  by Purple Reign
 Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:21 am
I've changed my mind on bunting over the years. When I played baseball, I really liked doing it because I got pretty good at it. I liked the idea of being able to move my runner over in a fairly safe way, and often in little league, you can leg out a single on a bunt because of errant throws.

However, bunting is sort of a lost art. I don't see many batters - not even pitchers - who are good bunters anymore. The Sabermetricians out there (I am fairly pro-Sabermetrics myself) despise bunting because it's statistically not that helpful. In the end, if you can keep the ball in the air with a runner on, there's little need to attempt to bunt them over. However, I'd probably feel differently if bunting were still a skill that a lot of batters had. It doesn't seem like it's a priority for coaches anymore.
FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by Sad Din

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:25 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.