• Trouble in Harker's House

#1969  by Purplepaladin
 Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:15 pm
Ben Anderson (Freshman All-American) has left the program. Understand 5 or 6 additional other players are leaving. Bad reflection on coaching staff!!
 #1970  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:04 pm
Some of us had speculated this by the way the team played at times. This is definitely not good news. The cupboard was already bare/thin for next year and now it looks like its gonna be even worse.
 #1974  by fufanatic
 Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:00 pm
Yikes. Not a good look. Especially when you see the men's basketball program lose one guy in about 5+ years and that guy is coming back to graduate eventually. I thought Harker was the game-changing hire post RS?
 #2019  by Fessor
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 am
Purplepaladin wrote:
Ben Anderson (Freshman All-American) has left the program. Understand 5 or 6 additional other players are leaving. Bad reflection on coaching staff!!
Maybe, maybe not. Soccer has lost big time recruits to transfer. The coach is a great recruiter but the kid gets here and finds out that the school is not a good fit. Doesn't mean the coach isn't a good coach.

Some may find this hard to believe, but a small school in Berea may not be a good fit for everyone.
Last edited by Fessor on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetroMizzy, DanScott, FU69 liked this
 #2024  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:53 pm
Fessor wrote:
Purplepaladin wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. Soccer has lost big time recruits to transfer. The coach is a great recruiter but the kid gets here and finds out that the school is not a good fit. Doesn't mean the coach isn't a good coach.

Some may find this hard to believe, but a small school in Berea to be a good fit for everyone.
I agree Greenville Tech on White Horse is not for everybody.
 #2033  by Fessor
 Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:23 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:53 pm
Fessor wrote:
Purplepaladin wrote:

Some may find this hard to believe, but a small school in Berea to be a good fit for everyone.
I agree Greenville Tech on White Horse is not for everybody.
Mature response, as anticipated.

Do you contribute in any meaningful way to make these programs better or do you just bitch and moan?
 #2035  by fufanatic
 Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:35 am
Fessor wrote:
Purplepaladin wrote:

Some may find this hard to believe, but a small school in Berea may not be a good fit for everyone.
Fair points. It stinks that Anderson is leaving, but I understand if he wants to test himself at a higher level. In college baseball, which conference you're in is not super important to getting drafted, but can certainly help you get drafted higher. Although there are always exceptions to the rule RE: Lewis from Mercer in 2017.

I will push back a bit that 5-6 players leaving in one year isn't a big deal. That's a significant percentage of a college baseball roster. Looks like 33 players were on this year's team, you take away 5-6 guys on top of the 6 seniors graduating, and you're replacing a third of the team. Now if you're telling me that the guys leaving batted .100 or had a 9.00 ERA, it might not hurt the team on the field, but it could be an issue in the clubhouse.
 #2040  by FU69
 Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:28 pm
You have no sense of humor. BTW Furman is not in Berea.
Almost!!!
:lol:
 #2044  by Fessor
 Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:45 am
fufanatic wrote:
Fessor wrote:
Purplepaladin wrote:

Fair points. It stinks that Anderson is leaving, but I understand if he wants to test himself at a higher level. In college baseball, which conference you're in is not super important to getting drafted, but can certainly help you get drafted higher. Although there are always exceptions to the rule RE: Lewis from Mercer in 2017.

I will push back a bit that 5-6 players leaving in one year isn't a big deal. That's a significant percentage of a college baseball roster. Looks like 33 players were on this year's team, you take away 5-6 guys on top of the 6 seniors graduating, and you're replacing a third of the team. Now if you're telling me that the guys leaving batted .100 or had a 9.00 ERA, it might not hurt the team on the field, but it could be an issue in the clubhouse.
Do you know that 5-6 players are leaving?

In the case of Anderson, players transferring from Furman to bigger schools that play on a bigger stage and at a higher level of competition has been going on as long as I've followed Furman. Same reasons as the coaches who do the same, with the exception of the salary considerations. Comes with the territory. If you want to change it, increase salaries to hire top flight coaches, play better competition, and/or upgrade in conferences. Or, just jump on the Clemson or Duke bandwagons.

Does the coach get no credit for recognizing the talent in the first place and recruiting him?
 #2046  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 am
Fessor wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Fessor wrote:
Purplepaladin wrote:

In the case of Anderson, players transferring from Furman to bigger schools that play on a bigger stage and at a higher level of competition has been going on as long as I've followed Furman. Same reasons as the coaches who do the same, with the exception of the salary considerations. Comes with the territory. If you want to change it, increase salaries to hire top flight coaches, play better competition, and/or upgrade in conferences. Or, just jump on the Clemson or Duke bandwagons.

Does the coach get no credit for recognizing the talent in the first place and recruiting him?
Baseball is a bit of a different animal, though. Unlike virtually every other sport, baseball players are not drafted with an eye towards helping out the major league club for the coming season. They are drafted on projectability and talent, and you can satisfy that anywhere. It's not as though Furman does not provide any opportunities to test your mettle against the "big boys."

Also, unlike every other major sport, the little guys can win in baseball. Some of the best baseball programs nationally are schools like Wichita State, Cal-Fullerton, Rice, and Coastal Carolina. You don't necessarily do much better by transferring out of a smaller D1 program. If you are good, you are good and may look that much better by playing at a smaller school.

As fufanatic noted, Mercer's Kyle Lewis was a high first round draft pick just two seasons ago. If you are good and projectable with tools, it doesn't matter where you are playing.
 #2047  by fufanatic
 Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:29 pm
Fessor wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Fessor wrote:
Purplepaladin wrote:

Good point. I don't. I was just going off of the first post, which is hearsay. So hopefully it's wrong. Still a bummer about Anderson though.
 #2049  by Fessor
 Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Fessor wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Fessor wrote:
Purplepaladin wrote:

Good point. I don't. I was just going off of the first post, which is hearsay. So hopefully it's wrong. Still a bummer about Anderson though.
Anderson leaving: Comes with the territory. It's the curse of being a Furman fan.
 #2050  by Fessor
 Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:05 pm
Fessor wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Fessor wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Fessor wrote:
Purplepaladin wrote:

Anderson leaving: Comes with the territory. It's the curse of being a Furman fan.
Should instead have said: it's the curse of rooting for a small college. Players or coaches leaving FU scarred my childhood.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.