#28081  by Affirm
 Tue May 19, 2020 3:33 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:20 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:59 pm
FU3 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:53 pm
Furman has a current business model that requires a substantial annual increase in tuition,fees and room and board
(current sticker price is $67,000 per year). A good economy and booming stock market have enabled institutions like Furman to avoid addressing some serious long term issues, those days are over. All of higher education is going to have exist in a very changed environment in how they market and operate. Every college and university in the country is panicked on how many of its students will return in the fall or hang around for perhaps another round of remote education in the spring (SC is cancelling fall break and sending students home for the semester before Thanksgiving in anticipation of another spike). Time will tell if cutting a few sports as the initial way to address this crisis was a prudent move or gave a skittish clientele another reason to question the value of attending or returning. Guess that is why they pay the folks at the top the big $$$.
SC’s move is no big deal. The students will have very few class days after TG anyway, and those few days will be done remotely. SC athletics will not suffer. They are rich.
By the way, I think I recall Muschamp already having accepted a pay cut, perhaps related to his results on the field; not sure.
I think his point is that USC is an example of the widespread panic. I guess we can hope that FU bigwigs are taking a calm, reasoned approach, but I doubt it. I bet they’re freaking out. They have to figure out a way to sound so, so concerned about the pandemic and staying safe at home, and all that stuff on the one hand. But then they have to turn around and convince people that it’s ok to fork out $67k to go stay in dorms in a red state run by virus-loving yahoos instead of staying safe in the basement and getting the same credits for a few grand. I’d be in a panic.
I spoke too soon about rich USC. I say they are rich because they have a lot more sources of income, especially, for athletics, than Furman.
This was published less than one hour ago.
The University of South Carolina will be cutting the salary of top administrators and sports coaches to brace for a difficult year ahead.

President Robert Caslen, members of his cabinet and the three highest paid coaches will all take a 10% pay cut for the 2020-2021 school year, the university announced Tuesday.

“The global health crisis will continue to have a significant impact on the university, and I applaud our university officials and coaches for their willingness to personally contribute to our institution’s financial health,” Caslen said.

The cuts will apply to Caslen’s cabinet and women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley, football coach Will Muschamp, and men’s basketball coach Frank Martin, according to the release.

These salary cuts will save the university $1.2 million in the upcoming fiscal year, which begins July 1, according to the release.

“These shared voluntary sacrifices will help address the anticipated financial shortfalls at Carolina,” said Gamecocks Athletic Director Ray Tanner.

Muschamp’s was set to earn $4.6 million for this year. Men’s basketball coach Frank Martin was on the books for $3.1 million, while women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley’ was set to earn $1.7 million.

Tanner is paid $1 million a year overall. Caslen’s salary is $650,000.

The school only pays a portion of a coach’s salary, with the rest being covered by outside entities related to media obligations and apparal deals. A school spokesperson said the paycuts include the outside compensation.

Between now and June 30, USC could lose as much as $40 million, according to a previous article from The State. However, once the new fiscal year starts July 1, the impacts on USC’s budget are expected to far exceed this year’s effects, according to a previous article from The State.

According to an email sent previously to faculty by the Faculty Senate Chair, the effects on USC’s budget next year could be twice as serious as Great Recession in 2008.
 #28083  by Furmanoid
 Tue May 19, 2020 3:43 pm
FU3 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:33 pm
Um ... no. Here is the yield per student in 2017. and it has increased since then. Also remember that the average student includes all those receiving full or partial athletic scholarships scholarships so your "average" parent is paying ...a lot.

https://datausa.io/profile/university/furman-university
When I ran the numbers for my daughter a couple of years ago I think it was coming in at around $30-35k. She decided to go to C of C for free and use the money we saved for top of the line grad school. I went to Furman as did father, uncle, 3 aunts and 2 brothers, but it just doesn’t make much sense anymore. I wouldn’t want to be their salesman.
bj93, tim liked this
 #28084  by Paul C
 Tue May 19, 2020 3:45 pm
I wondered why, in an effort to save money, we only cut men's sports. It seemed to me that if we dropped men's lacrosse and baseball we could cut at least one of softball or women's lax.

On the JD call he said that equity/compliance issues (title IX) resulted in just cutting mens sports and to change that we'd need to increase overall male enrollment....so I looked it up and FU is now 59% female!!
 #28094  by paladinfan12
 Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:45 pm
I wondered why, in an effort to save money, we only cut men's sports. It seemed to me that if we dropped men's lacrosse and baseball we could cut at least one of softball or women's lax.

On the JD call he said that equity/compliance issues (title IX) resulted in just cutting mens sports and to change that we'd need to increase overall male enrollment....so I looked it up and FU is now 59% female!!
I'd imagine the women's sports will be the ones with the most significant scholarship reductions. You'll still probably see football, soccer, and maybe a few others go down, but the girls sports are easier to fill up a roster given the current student body.
 #28095  by FurmAlum
 Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 pm
ksummerlin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:52 am
This isn't just about sports, the whole academic community at Furman was cut. FU has lost $100 million in endowment money in 3 months due to the financial downturn. They had to refund $4 million in room and board fees and incur unexpected costs to shift to online classroom instruction for the remainder of the year. The president took a 20% pay reduction, vice-presidents a 10% pay reduction. Football and basketball head coaches took a 10% temporary pay cut. 10 week summer furloughs will begin soon. In addition, estimates are that there will be a 15% decrease in enrollment next year.

As a Furman alumni, I hate this news. I spent countless afternoons across the street from my dorm watching games at the stadium. I don't have to like it, but I understand it and how hard it must have been to come to this decision.
I also think that this is not the last news of its kind that we will hear. Other schools have started cutting programs as well (see Akron, Old Dominion, etc). This will impact private institutions much harder than it will public institutions. I wouldn't be surprised to see some private institutions shutter for good.

God bless these players and coaches -- they must be devastated.
Regarding "FU has lost $100M in endowment money in 3 months due to the financial downturn". Excuse me, but even a dumb History major like me knows you haven't lost anything until you sell! I'm assuming Pres. Davis is referring to the 3/31 statement balance. Well, the market has rebounded quite a bit in Apr. and the S&P 500 Index closed 60 points higher on Monday than it was this time last year. I can understand having to dip into the Endowment to get some money to refund all that tuition, but the prudent way to do this would be to withdraw the needed funds from the fixed income (bonds) part of the portfolio and not liquidate any stocks while they are depressed. Most investment grade bond funds are in + territory for the year.

I don't doubt that this crisis is having negative financial impact on the university but discontinuing baseball out of the blue like this just seems extremely shortsighted to me. Why did we add another sport (LAX) a few years ago in the first place? Who's idea was that?

If we expect a 15% drop in enrollment this fall then how about doing something about it! One idea might be lowering the enrollment requirements temporarily and taking more students whose parents can pay the tuition. I would take a B student that can pay over an A student who has to have some financial aid for a while. It's Econ 101.
apaladin, MetroMizzy liked this
 #28096  by apaladin
 Tue May 19, 2020 8:53 pm
By the way S.C. is also starting on campus classes 2 weeks early this fall, August 10th. I really thought Furman had finally made a little headway in becoming Greenville’s team. Something that really had been in name only previously. What progress had been made went out the window yesterday. The Greenville community as a whole is now mad at Furman and don’t understand this decision. I’ve heard a lot of negativity addressed at Furman from various sources. Even the guy at checkout in the grocery store talked about it and was upset. Doubt we will see 6k at the well next year. We asked the Greenville community to get behind Greenvilles team then do this. One other thing that comes to mind is the athletes themselves losing part of their community. Loved seeing the baseball teams reaction to the last second win at the well against WC. Btw on tonight’s news they said WC had made some changes including things like a freeze on spending. WC has no plans to cut any sports. I am sure they will gladly take Furman’s spot against CU and S.C. next year at Fluor.
 #28107  by Roundball
 Wed May 20, 2020 6:02 am
apaladin wrote:
By the way S.C. is also starting on campus classes 2 weeks early this fall, August 10th. I really thought Furman had finally made a little headway in becoming Greenville’s team. Something that really had been in name only previously. What progress had been made went out the window yesterday. The Greenville community as a whole is now mad at Furman and don’t understand this decision. I’ve heard a lot of negativity addressed at Furman from various sources. Even the guy at checkout in the grocery store talked about it and was upset. Doubt we will see 6k at the well next year. We asked the Greenville community to get behind Greenvilles team then do this. One other thing that comes to mind is the athletes themselves losing part of their community. Loved seeing the baseball teams reaction to the last second win at the well against WC. Btw on tonight’s news they said WC had made some changes including things like a freeze on spending. WC has no plans to cut any sports. I am sure they will gladly take Furman’s spot against CU and S.C. next year at Fluor.
If the Greenville community cared, they would have supported baseball. Never happened. Sounds like you need to support Wofford. In the past, I’ve often thought you were really an ankle biter fan. There is no way you can be a supporter of Furman.
furpep liked this
 #28108  by Fessor
 Wed May 20, 2020 6:50 am
apaladin wrote:
Either propose better solutions or shut up.
Roundball liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.