• Partial list of D-1 schools dropping baseball over the years

#28722  by couchbomber
 Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:24 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:30 pm
Possible flights down to Stetson a few years ago? Probably not though considering the bus trips to VMI which are a real treat! I have some NSFW bus trip stories that's for sure.

The savings numbers that the university is putting out there do not add up. I doubt we're ever going to obtain the actual financials for the baseball department but anyone with a Furman degree :D can figure out what many of you are saying on here. There is absolutely no way that FU is handing out more scholarship dollars whether athletic or academic to the baseball team than than the actual dollars they are receiving back via tuition. We can argue it back and forth but there is just no way it's happening.

There are 5 guys on the team, at least, that are guaranteed walk ons that are paying full tuition and they are on the team because their parents have money and there is hope they will contribute financially to the program. There is another group that is good enough to play mid major DI barely but they have money too so they are paying pretty much full tuition with maybe a little bit of scholarship money - say $2500 and they might see the field a few times a year in complete mop up duty. Let's say that's another 5 guys. Then you get to your core/travel roster of 25. The back 5 will be pitchers scraping for innings out of the bullpen - some on hefty scholarships (oops) and some minimal. So you have at least 10 guys contributing $500K in tuition dollars, at a minimum plus everyone else on partial scholarships.

Listen, RS used to tell me when we really needed to land a guy, wink wink...we knew the deal. Take a look at the UVA baseball stadium and who donated that money to build what has become one of the premier programs in the country. His son visited Furman - he didn't stay with me (I would have landed his ass but he did have a great time) He got 2 AB's at UVA.

Sidenote...I committed to Providence in high school. I'll never forget when the coach called to tell me that they were dropping baseball. Anyhow, argue it out...FU ain't losing the money on baseball they say they are losing. They can make those financials look like Marty Byrd's all they want.
That's a low blow Mizzy. He stayed with me, and his father shared with me they regretted not sending him to Furman. Can't win them all.
 #28771  by MetroMizzy
 Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:39 pm
couchbomber wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:24 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:30 pm
Possible flights down to Stetson a few years ago? Probably not though considering the bus trips to VMI which are a real treat! I have some NSFW bus trip stories that's for sure.

The savings numbers that the university is putting out there do not add up. I doubt we're ever going to obtain the actual financials for the baseball department but anyone with a Furman degree :D can figure out what many of you are saying on here. There is absolutely no way that FU is handing out more scholarship dollars whether athletic or academic to the baseball team than than the actual dollars they are receiving back via tuition. We can argue it back and forth but there is just no way it's happening.

There are 5 guys on the team, at least, that are guaranteed walk ons that are paying full tuition and they are on the team because their parents have money and there is hope they will contribute financially to the program. There is another group that is good enough to play mid major DI barely but they have money too so they are paying pretty much full tuition with maybe a little bit of scholarship money - say $2500 and they might see the field a few times a year in complete mop up duty. Let's say that's another 5 guys. Then you get to your core/travel roster of 25. The back 5 will be pitchers scraping for innings out of the bullpen - some on hefty scholarships (oops) and some minimal. So you have at least 10 guys contributing $500K in tuition dollars, at a minimum plus everyone else on partial scholarships.

Listen, RS used to tell me when we really needed to land a guy, wink wink...we knew the deal. Take a look at the UVA baseball stadium and who donated that money to build what has become one of the premier programs in the country. His son visited Furman - he didn't stay with me (I would have landed his ass but he did have a great time) He got 2 AB's at UVA.

Sidenote...I committed to Providence in high school. I'll never forget when the coach called to tell me that they were dropping baseball. Anyhow, argue it out...FU ain't losing the money on baseball they say they are losing. They can make those financials look like Marty Byrd's all they want.
That's a low blow Mizzy. He stayed with me, and his father shared with me they regretted not sending him to Furman. Can't win them all.
Sorry bro. HUGE mistake by RS. Lol. As you know our closing ratio was 100% and should have been taken into account with his placement.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by Sad Din

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:25 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.