• New Coach

#14506  by fufanatic
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:19 pm
Based on the clues laid out by BR in newest podcast, it sounds like our new coach is from Xavier. Anyone want to guess who it is? Guess would be Dante Jackson, whose resume is very impressive. Works with guards.

https://goxavier.com/roster.aspx?roster ... er-coaches
 #14507  by Affirm
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:23 pm
My guess is Jonas Hayes, due to his background in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. He joined the Xavier program in April 2018. Before Xavier, Hayes coached with Head Coach Mark Fox . Fox was fired in March 2018 after Georgia failed to make the NCAA tournament 3 consecutive years. (what ? only 3 ? wow, not very patient ! ha ha ha) . Fox became the new HC at UC Berkeley in March 2019. Hayes has described himself as a “coaching nomad”. Whether Jackson, Hayes, or another coach, I welcome the new coach and wish them MUCH success and happiness at Furman.
 #14508  by NCPaladin22
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:55 pm
We’ve really set our expectations high if we think we are taking an assistant coach from Xavier. My guess would be the spec Ast to the HC. Assistants at Xavier are probably well north of 200k.
 #14509  by JohnW
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:08 pm
NCPaladin22 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:55 pm
We’ve really set our expectations high if we think we are taking an assistant coach from Xavier. My guess would be the spec Ast to the HC. Assistants at Xavier are probably well north of 200k.
That is the one all the assistants followed earlier this week.
 #14510  by PaladinPower
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:21 pm
Saw on Twitter that Daniel Fowler and Tim Johnson followed Jeremey Growe. Must be him.
 #14511  by Affirm
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:10 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Saw on Twitter that Daniel Fowler and Tim Johnson followed Jeremey Growe. Must be him.
Growe also could be good, and he would bring much knowledge and experience. However, he has 10+ years with Xavier, and he has always been in the Midwest area, so I see less likelihood of him moving to take an assistant job at Furman.
 #14512  by apaladin
 Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:54 pm
affirm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Growe also could be good, and he would bring much knowledge and experience. However, he has 10+ years with Xavier, and he has always been in the Midwest area, so I see less likelihood of him moving to take an assistant job at Furman.
Maybe he just wants a change. It happens.
 #14513  by Affirm
 Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:44 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:54 pm
affirm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Maybe he just wants a change. It happens.
Exactly right.
Could be the best move for his career.
Could be good for Furman also.
He could bring a wealth of knowledge and experience.
He did not play at IU, and he does not do “on the floor coaching” at XU, but I would bet that he could be very good for our needs.
Has a young family.
I like all 3 of these Xavier people.
Looking forward to finding out which one we get.
(Could be even another instead of any of these 3 ! )
 #14515  by fufanatic
 Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 am
PaladinPower wrote:
That makes sense. I skipped right over him because I figured that wasn't a position that equaled transitioning to assistant. But BR did say the person had been in the NCAAs for about a decade, and that fits the bill with Growe. Sounds like a good hire. He understands how to win and make the NCAAs, which is so critical for where we need to go as a program.
 #14516  by Affirm
 Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:53 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 am
PaladinPower wrote:
That makes sense. I skipped right over him because I figured that wasn't a position that equaled transitioning to assistant. But BR did say the person had been in the NCAAs for about a decade, and that fits the bill with Growe. Sounds like a good hire. He understands how to win and make the NCAAs, which is so critical for where we need to go as a program.
Yes. I agree it is
Jeremy Growe. I just finished listening to the podcast and heard that about NCAA tournament involvement for so many years. Seems the announcement is imminent. I agree also that he will be good.
 #14548  by JohnW
 Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:07 am
Semi official just saw a tweet from an XU writer saying Growe has left for Furman.
dornb liked this
 #14549  by Flagman
 Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:09 pm
That an assistant coach from a top program would move to Furman for a similar position speaks volumes for our program.
MNORM, furpop16, dornb liked this
 #14550  by furpop16
 Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:51 pm
Flagman wrote:
That an assistant coach from a top program would move to Furman for a similar position speaks volumes for our program.
I wonder if he's the presumed heir upon CBR's move to major program?
 #14551  by youwouldno
 Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:19 pm
Flagman wrote:

Growe appears to be a great hire, but it's not for a similar position. Growe's role at Xavier was more along the lines of Daniel Fowler's role at Furman. Growe was not technically an assistant coach, as NCAA rules only allow 3 of those. For him, assistant coach is a promotion.

On the other hand, I suspect that he's had opportunities to make that move in the past, and so it does say something positive that he wanted to be at Furman as he moves into the formal coaching ranks.
furpop16 wrote:
I wonder if he's the presumed heir upon CBR's move to major program?

He's clearly the most junior of the 3 assistants, so no. At this point there is no obvious successor to Richey . . . Plan A should be getting Richey the support and compensation he needs to stay for a little while.
furpop16, Affirm, din23 and 1 others liked this