• Very good season vs. a great one!

#12477  by purplehorse
 Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:21 am
For me we need to win tonight for me to consider this a great season. A school record in wins and our first NIT victory. A win over Clemson would move it to a GREAT season (from good to great to GREAT).

A loss tonight and I will feel we did not quite live up to our early season expectations after starting 12-0.

GO PALADINS!
fufanatic, Jasper, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #12479  by fufanatic
 Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:26 am
purplehorse wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:21 am
For me we need to win tonight for me to consider this a great season. A school record in wins and our first NIT victory. A win over Clemson would move it to a GREAT season (from good to great to GREAT).

A loss tonight and I will feel we did not quite live up to our early season expectations after starting 12-0.

GO PALADINS!
Yep. It's time to turn the postseason corner as a program.
dornb, Fessor liked this
 #12506  by Paul C
 Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:05 pm
My perspective is that it’s already a great season. We lost 4 of our top 6 players from last year and still went 13-5 in the best SoCon since the ACC teams left, spent 3 weeks in the AP Top 25, and have a home NIT game versus s recent Final Four participant.

Not picking on you purplehorse, but I bet everyone who says we have to win tonite make this a great season also predicted in October that we’d “be lucky to get to 10-8 or 9-9 in the SoCon” with the losses we suffered and a still unproven head coach.

What this season showed me, win or lose tonite, is that we have a basketball PROGRAM that can sustain success. And once we get to that level it’s only a matter of time before good things start happening.

Tonite is gravy.
Last edited by Paul C on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman, FUKA61, furpop16 and 2 others liked this
 #12519  by purplehorse
 Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:05 pm
My perspective is that it’s already a great season. We lost 4 of our top 6 players from last year and still went 13-5 in the best SoCon since the ACC teams left, spent 3 weeks in the AP Top 25, and have a home NIT game versus s recent Final Four participant.

Not picking on you purplehorse, but I bet everyone who says we have to win tonite make this a great season also predicted in October that we’d “be lucky to get to 10-8 or 9-9 in the SoCon” with the losses we suffered and a still unproven head coach.

What this season showed me, win or lose tonite, is that we have a basketball PROGRAM that can sustain success. And once we get to that level it’s only a matter of time before good things start happening.

Tonite is gravy.
No problem. I knew some would disagree with me as this is a matter of perspective-no right or wrong answers.

After our 12-0 start IMHO we have had two very good wins-UNCG and ETSU. We need the “on a given night” scenario to come true-for everybody on the same night to play up to their potential. I am waiting for that game. If we do not step up our game a little I think we will be one and done. I know we CAN do it and I hope we do not miss this golden opportunity. I am sure the players would like to win our first NIT game in school history....and have a chance to play Clemson.
 #12564  by purplehorse
 Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:03 pm
A heart-breaking loss. So close-a play here or there. A very good season. More exposure than we have had in many years. Need more CONSISTENCY, inside power and offensive firepower to move to the next level. A few too many droughts/dry spells this season. The foundation has been laid and we have the coach to get it done! Excited about the future.
FUKA61, dornb, QCGlue and 2 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.