• Some coaching changes and transfers of interest

#12400  by tya1
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:32 pm
Sam Mitchell, currently an assistant coach at Memphis, could be a candidate for the open job at Mercer. Mitchell was the all-time leading scorer in Mercer basketball history when he graduated in 1985. He had a long career in the NBA as a player and coach.

Appalachian State fired coach Jim Fox after five years. He took over a tough situation but went 56-99 in his time there.
Elon fired Matt Matheny after ten years. Matheny had three winning seasons at Elon and an overall record of 151-168. His best season was his fourth year when they were 21-12. This year Elon was 11-20.
Both Fox and Matheny were long time assistants at Davidson before their head coaching gigs. If Bob McKillop has any coaching magic it isn't transferable.

Senior Austin Vereen will transfer from VMI. He redshirted this year with an injury. Mercer is losing freshman guard D. J. Peavy. Samford's sophomore guard Kevion Nolan is leaving. He was their sixth leading scorer at about 7 points per game.
Three of Elon's players have announced they are transferring - guards Damian Swoope and Nathan Priddy and forward Simon Wright. Swoope and Wright were one time Furman offerees. Small forward/wing Justin Pierce has announced he is leaving William and Mary. Pierce was another Furman offer in high school. He averaged 14.9 ppg, 8.9 rpg and 4.1 apg this year. I wonder if we would have any interest in a one year grad transfer? Swoope was a capable point guard for Elon and hit 44% of his threes. Pierce is a good attack the basket slasher, although he only hit 32% of his threes.
Fessor and 1 others liked this
 #12402  by cavedweller2
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:05 pm
tya1 wrote:
Sam Mitchell, currently an assistant coach at Memphis, could be a candidate for the open job at Mercer. Mitchell was the all-time leading scorer in Mercer basketball history when he graduated in 1985. He had a long career in the NBA as a player and coach.

Appalachian State fired coach Jim Fox after five years. He took over a tough situation but went 56-99 in his time there.
Elon fired Matt Matheny after ten years. Matheny had three winning seasons at Elon and an overall record of 151-168. His best season was his fourth year when they were 21-12. This year Elon was 11-20.
Both Fox and Matheny were long time assistants at Davidson before their head coaching gigs. If Bob McKillop has any coaching magic it isn't transferable.

Senior Austin Vereen will transfer from VMI. He redshirted this year with an injury. Mercer is losing freshman guard D. J. Peavy. Samford's sophomore guard Kevion Nolan is leaving. He was their sixth leading scorer at about 7 points per game.
Three of Elon's players have announced they are transferring - guards Damian Swoope and Nathan Priddy and forward Simon Wright. Swoope and Wright were one time Furman offerees. Small forward/wing Justin Pierce has announced he is leaving William and Mary. Pierce was another Furman offer in high school. He averaged 14.9 ppg, 8.9 rpg and 4.1 apg this year. I wonder if we would have any interest in a one year grad transfer? Swoope was a capable point guard for Elon and hit 44% of his threes. Pierce is a good attack the basket slasher, although he only hit 32% of his threes.
A 6’10 - 7’0 transfer in would be cool.
 #12403  by Monday
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 pm
And so it begins for Samford
HA! No kidding. People might start getting them confused with the Citadel.

I remember Swoope having a good game against us last season. It appears he dealt with a bad ankle this year and took a medical redshirt.
 #12422  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:51 am
tya1 wrote:
Small forward/wing Justin Pierce has announced he is leaving William and Mary. Pierce was another Furman offer in high school. He averaged 14.9 ppg, 8.9 rpg and 4.1 apg this year. I wonder if we would have any interest in a one year grad transfer?
Maybe it's changed since I attended, but how many grad degrees does Furman actually have? I know there's some in education, but not sure what others there are. Or can you just come in and take random undergraduate classes as a grad transfer?
 #12431  by Paul C
 Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:18 pm
fufanatic wrote:
tya1 wrote:
Small forward/wing Justin Pierce has announced he is leaving William and Mary. Pierce was another Furman offer in high school. He averaged 14.9 ppg, 8.9 rpg and 4.1 apg this year. I wonder if we would have any interest in a one year grad transfer?
Maybe it's changed since I attended, but how many grad degrees does Furman actually have? I know there's some in education, but not sure what others there are. Or can you just come in and take random undergraduate classes as a grad transfer?
I think we have some UNC fans on the board that are up to speed on what types of classes count....
FUBeAR, bj93, underjack liked this
 #12434  by paladinfan12
 Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:38 pm
Paul C wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
tya1 wrote:
I think we have some UNC fans on the board that are up to speed on what types of classes count....
Looks like education still has the majority of the masters programs. There is one for chemistry, one for community engaged medicine, and one for strategic design.

https://www.furman.edu/academics/majors ... -programs/
 #12435  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:46 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:38 pm
Paul C wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
tya1 wrote:
Looks like education still has the majority of the masters programs. There is one for chemistry, one for community engaged medicine, and one for strategic design.

https://www.furman.edu/academics/majors ... -programs/
I knew some peeps at FU, when I was there, that were, apparently, majoring in “Community Engaged Medicine,” but I don’t think it was an accredited program at that time. Most of them were also getting a dual minor in Finance & Criminal Justice.
Fessor, furman88 liked this
 #12453  by cavedweller2
 Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:03 pm
Classes were mostly held at the Woodwinds Satellite Campus.
FUBeAR, QCGlue, furman88 liked this
 #12688  by tya1
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:15 pm
More transfers.

Big loss for Chattanooga as SoCon freshman of the year Kevin Easley (6'6" forward) has decided to transfer. Easley had a lot of recruiting attention early in his high school career with over 20 listed offers on Verbal Commits, which included schools like Indiana, Purdue, Butler, and Cincinnati, but those offers didn't hold up as his high school career progressed. Maybe he thinks he can get them back again.
Western Carolina lost 6'8" Yalim Olcay to transfer. He didn't play much this year.
Samford's freshman guard Steven Fitzgerald will transfer. He played early this year but wasn't in the rotation during the SoCon games.
Last edited by tya1 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #12694  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:21 pm
tya1 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:15 pm
More transfers.

Big loss for Chattanooga as SoCon freshman of the year Kevin Easley (6'6" forward) has decided to transfer. Easley had a lot of recruiting attention early in his high school career with over 20 listed offers on Verbal Commits, which included schools like Indiana, Purdue, Butler, and Cincinnati, but those offers didn't hold up as his high school career progressed. Maybe he thinks he can get them back again.
Western Carolina lost 6'8" Yalim Olcay to transfer. He didn't play much this year.
Samford's freshman guard Steven Fitzgeral will transfer. He played early this year but wasn't in the rotation during the SoCon games.

My goodness Samford :lol:
 #12764  by youwouldno
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:21 pm
I'm a big fan of Richey but I think his near-term promotion prospects are being overblown. It's inconceivable, for instance, that Vandy would even talk to him at this point in his career.

Richey inherited a solid program, which is a huge difference between himself and Medved. Also of importance was Medved's extensive history as a major program assistant, which is something that BR lacks entirely. And even so, Medved left for a solid raise but mediocre job . . . he then wound up at Colorado State because of his connection there as a former assistant.

Getting Richey a raise certainly should be a major priority, to head off a lateral move. But at this point it's very unlikely he will be on the radar of major programs.
Jasper, underjack liked this