• Imarino Stepping Down

#12165  by Flagman
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:28 pm
Just saw on WLOS ticker that SoCon commissioner Imarino is stepping down, effective June 30.
 #12169  by Fessor
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:17 pm
Interesting timing. He obviously didn't want the announcement to attract attention away from the tournament, which is commendable. Leaving without a clear succession plan isn't optimal.

According to the release, he initiated the "SoCon Academic Exchange". Is this where Furman would send used outdated textbooks to Georgia Southern?

BTW, JJ is in commissioner business now ...
furman88 liked this
 #12170  by gman
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm
Fessor wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:17 pm
Interesting timing. He obviously didn't want the announcement to attract attention away from the tournament, which is commendable. Leaving without a clear succession plan isn't optimal.

According to the release, he initiated the "SoCon Academic Exchange". Is this where Furman would send used outdated textbooks to Georgia Southern?

BTW, JJ is in commissioner business now ...
On second thought...
furpop16, Fessor liked this
 #12183  by din23
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:25 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:42 pm
Excellent news. Hopefully the SoCon can move forward now.
Interesting perspective when the league is at its highest point in basketball in the last few decades. Seems like it has moved quite far forward in the past few years.
 #12186  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:00 am
din23 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:25 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:42 pm
Excellent news. Hopefully the SoCon can move forward now.
Interesting perspective when the league is at its highest point in basketball in the last few decades. Seems like it has moved quite far forward in the past few years.
I guess the question is how much did he have to do with that?
Fessor liked this
 #12215  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:39 pm
Imarino has done nothing for the SoCon, and anybody who knows even a little about the mute guy knows that

Today the crappy OVC got 2 teams in while the SoCon which has much better ratings still only got 1 team in yet again

Good riddance Imarino
gman liked this
 #12345  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:28 pm
Since he's been a punching bag on here for a while, I'll come to his defense. Anybody that has spent more than 5 minutes with him (I have) knows how quality of a person he is and what he has meant to the league. Conference commissioner is not an easy job - at any level - but to deal with the egos of school presidents and administration while also putting together a quality hoops league after losing Davidson, CofC, Elon, App State and GSU is absolutely remarkable. I think at times the league has played catch-up in some aspects, but to get the hoops championship to Asheville and to get Flour Field in the mix for baseball tourney is commendable and great for the league. The league has also capitalized on the ESPN3 opportunities and will have instant replay in football. Not to mention the fact that the league truly values it's non-revenue sports. If you've ever been to the cross country championships or volleyball tourney you would see it. Lastly, he's hired a lot of people that have stayed around the league office for quite a while that are well respected in the league. That says something about his leadership and ability to hire and retain quality people.
furpop16, FUBeAR, QCGlue liked this
 #12350  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:37 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Since he's been a punching bag on here for a while, I'll come to his defense. Anybody that has spent more than 5 minutes with him (I have) knows how quality of a person he is and what he has meant to the league. Conference commissioner is not an easy job - at any level - but to deal with the egos of school presidents and administration while also putting together a quality hoops league after losing Davidson, CofC, Elon, App State and GSU is absolutely remarkable. I think at times the league has played catch-up in some aspects, but to get the hoops championship to Asheville and to get Flour Field in the mix for baseball tourney is commendable and great for the league. The league has also capitalized on the ESPN3 opportunities and will have instant replay in football. Not to mention the fact that the league truly values it's non-revenue sports. If you've ever been to the cross country championships or volleyball tourney you would see it. Lastly, he's hired a lot of people that have stayed around the league office for quite a while that are well respected in the league. That says something about his leadership and ability to hire and retain quality people.
He has not been horrible, but he has essentially not advanced us at all either
Adding ETSU was taking back an old conference team and the only thing that salvaged losing the other schools, not really an impressive feat of genius, pretty much a no-brainer
Moving the tourney to Asheville was good for location purposes but a downgrade on venue, no video boards, VIP room is dated and court is not visible as it is in Greenville VIP lounge, ect., I see no reason why something can't be worked out with downtown Greenville to bring the tournament back to a larger, nicer venue now that the conference is getting big crowds again
He is a mute for the most part that only speaks when spoken to, and sits by himself for the majority of the SoCon tournament
He must not know many people or have connections as SoCon was a lot better, the OVC guy must have connections that is why a much much worse league got 2 teams in, Imarino being a mute worked against us in this regard I speculate
 #12351  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:42 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Moving the tourney to Asheville was good for location purposes but a downgrade on venue, no video boards, VIP room is dated and court is not visible as it is in Greenville VIP lounge, ect., I see no reason why something can't be worked out with downtown Greenville to bring the tournament back to a larger, nicer venue now that the conference is getting big crowds again
Why do we need a bigger venue? I still saw a lot of empty seats in Asheville. Greenville would be great, but I'm not buying that the community would embrace the tourney more. And Asheville is certainly an upgrade over rotating it every couple of years where one of the options was Chattanooga's home court.
 #12352  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:44 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:42 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Why do we need a bigger venue? I still saw a lot of empty seats in Asheville. Greenville would be great, but I'm not buying that the community would embrace the tourney more. And Asheville is certainly an upgrade over rotating it every couple of years where one of the options was Chattanooga's home court.

6,400 is full capacity, as the league expands we will need more seats for semifinals and champ games
 #12353  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:45 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Adding ETSU was taking back an old conference team and the only thing that salvaged losing the other schools, not really an impressive feat of genius, pretty much a no-brainer
Still had to get it done. Plus Samford and Mercer were good moves. Got us back into Georgia and into Alabama. VMI is not helpful in the league, but at least it gives us a Virginia footprint. So six states that are all close. That's pretty ideal. Not like the WAC or Sun Belt. Or Pioneer leagues.
FUBeAR liked this
 #12359  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:56 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:45 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Still had to get it done. Plus Samford and Mercer were good moves. Got us back into Georgia and into Alabama. VMI is not helpful in the league, but at least it gives us a Virginia footprint. So six states that are all close. That's pretty ideal. Not like the WAC or Sun Belt. Or Pioneer leagues.

Honestly I would be more on your side of the fence had we gotten more or atleast as many teams as the OVC which is much worse in the NCAA's this year, I can't get past the fact that I know Imarino is not much of a driver for the league (he is not social at all) and that affected us this year with his lack of connections to the committee
 #12360  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:57 pm
We need someone who is more vocal, approachable and personable to be the head of the SoCon

Not someone who only speaks when spoken to

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.