• Ugly Tournament

#773  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:58 pm
This may go as the ugliest SoCon tourney in history. The 2 semi-finals were gosh awful with 3 teams scoring in the 50's and one barely topping 60. Tonight's championship game is just as ugly. 25-25 at half with both teams shooting 36%.
This tourney was so winnable!!!
FU69 liked this
 #774  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:10 pm
The main thing allowing it to be so ugly is ETSU getting away with so many obvious fouls, yesterday and today, total BS
FU03times, FU69 liked this
 #776  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:13 pm
Would have been nice to at least make it to Monday night. Can't put a price on an ESPN2 appearance.
dornb, FU69 liked this
 #777  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 pm
One thing that needs to happen is the Furman administration needs to do a much better job of getting more Furman fans and students to the SoCon tournament which will help our team out. The fandom for the Paladins at the tournament this year was extremely disappointing. I would like to see the administration at Furman finally act like they give a damn and do something to generate better attendance at home and at the tournament, right now they basically don't do anything at all!
We need new blood and younger people involved in the marketing and ticket sales of Furman basketball, make it incentive driven!
Fessor, AllKnighter, FU69 liked this
 #778  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 pm
For the record, I'm pulling hard for UNCG. They beat our butts twice. I could stomach that much more than ETSU winning. Plus I just don't like the way ETSU handles its business.
FU03times, Monday, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #779  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:43 pm
Yes agree, even though I don't like uncg for being the only team in the league without football which gives them a huge advantage in being able to put all their money into basketball, still i am very happy to see the thugs from etsu losing this one
FU69 liked this
 #780  by Paul C
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 pm
What an ugly sloppy game.
FU69 liked this
 #781  by FU03times
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
One thing that needs to happen is the Furman administration needs to do a much better job of getting more Furman fans and students to the SoCon tournament which will help our team out. The fandom for the Paladins at the tournament this year was extremely disappointing. I would like to see the administration at Furman finally act like they give a damn and do something to generate better attendance at home and at the tournament, right now they basically don't do anything at all!
We need new blood and younger people involved in the marketing and ticket sales of Furman basketball, make it incentive driven!
There’s a group of students that made the trip and has been trying to get the administration to establish them as a student organization but they’ve been giving them trouble. The desire from the students is there but things are moving extremely slow. Small changes like teaching the dang fight song at orientation (with would take 5min) have been vetoed by the people in charge. BR and marketing have been working with younger people and passionate students and the desire is just not there from an administrative standpoint. No student wants to go to a school with no spirit, so trust me, students are doing all they can. Maybe someone with more influence (season ticket holders, sponsors, Paladin club members) can have a little chat with guys like Dwight Covington who from what I’ve heard have been a hurdle to some student-appealing marketing ideas in the past... I just don’t think he’d take it from the students.
JoeyFreshwater and 1 others liked this
 #782  by raleigh fan
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:00 pm
This had the chance to be a great tournament this year and I don't just mean Furman winning, but with the number of quality teams in it (at least 4 maybe 5) that there would be exciting games and show the league deserved respect come tournament time..hopefully it won't cost us the 14 line they seemed to have the league pegged at....don't know if it was a match of styles or the referees or terrible rims.
 #783  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:02 pm
FU03times wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
There’s a group of students that made the trip and has been trying to get the administration to establish them as a student organization but they’ve been giving them trouble. The desire from the students is there but things are moving extremely slow. Small changes like teaching the dang fight song at orientation (with would take 5min) have been vetoed by the people in charge. BR and marketing have been working with younger people and passionate students and the desire is just not there from an administrative standpoint. No student wants to go to a school with no spirit, so trust me, students are doing all they can. Maybe someone with more influence (season ticket holders, sponsors, Paladin club members) can have a little chat with guys like Dwight Covington who from what I’ve heard have been a hurdle to some student-appealing marketing ideas in the past... I just don’t think he’d take it from the students.

Some good ideas here.
There are a good many things that need to change, starting with some of these and also changing spring break for students to fall 1 week later. The administration needs to wake the heck up and get the bigger picture!
Some big changes absolutely need to be made and the time to do it is right now!
FU03times, QCGlue, FU69 liked this
 #784  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 pm
FU03times wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
If true, that's disappointing to hear to say the least.
 #790  by MidlandsPaladin
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:22 am
raleigh fan wrote:
This had the chance to be a great tournament this year and I don't just mean Furman winning, but with the number of quality teams in it (at least 4 maybe 5) that there would be exciting games and show the league deserved respect come tournament time..hopefully it won't cost us the 14 line they seemed to have the league pegged at....don't know if it was a match of styles or the referees or terrible rims.
Sight lines, rims - I don't know what it is but on the whole teams shoot poorly in that arena. And how many times in the tourney did you see someone inadvertently step out of bounds?

If the tourney continues to be held in Asheville we need to explore the possibility of playing some extra games there during the season. Play UNCA every year there, and maybe some neutral site games there too. Attendance will suffer but we would gain some experience playing in an arena where we have had little success.
FU69 liked this
 #792  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 am
Why was the finals game on at 9pm?

I mean, ESPN 2 or not, but that seems like a super late start.
FU69 liked this
 #793  by tya1
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:00 am
raleigh fan wrote:
Shouldn't matter how attractive the game was. And I don't think it will. The list of teams that make it and their respective rankings will decide the seeds. There are too many more important factors in assigning the seeds.
 #800  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:00 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 am
Why was the finals game on at 9pm?

I mean, ESPN 2 or not, but that seems like a super late start.
Pretty disappointing that we only got the one game on ESPN2 at 9 p.m. ET when other, smaller conferences had semis on ESPNU and a better time slot on ESPN or ESPN2. As great as ESPN3 is, I still would prefer to see games on an ESPNU, and I'm assuming the ratings would show that I'm not in the minority on that.
QCGlue, FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.