• Socon Dream

#11419  by Fuonetime
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 pm
Socon Dream Senario. ETSU beats Wofford in 2nd round. FU loses in championship game to ETSU by a couple of points. Wofford gets in NCAA by virtue of their NET rating. ETSU gets in tourney as Socon champion and FU slides into tourney and grabs one of the last spots. 3 Socon teams in the NCAA! Wow! And for good measure let’s add a second round victory for one of the three. More money and prestige for the conference. 2nd scenario FU and Wofford in the final game and both get in the NCAA. Let’s dream big! Go Paladins!
 #11420  by Top25
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:33 pm
Anything scenario in any sport that has FU losing is not a dream but a nightmare. Dins winning it all is #1 everything else #2
gman, underjack, Paladin575 and 2 others liked this
 #11421  by Paul C
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:58 pm
I don’t think we’d get in with that scenario.

I like the same scenario but Furman wins tourney. FU and Woffy both in NCAAs and ETSU in NiT.
MNORM liked this
 #11422  by gman
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:37 am
No, no, no to your dream. The dream is to win the tourney for the auto bid. That is the only scenario that makes me smile.
 #11427  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:23 am
I agree. My only dream for Furman is to win the SoCon tourney and go to NCAA tourney (and win as many as possible in NCAA tourney); and to do this multiple years in any and every 5-year period.
 #11434  by fufanatic
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:34 am
I think he meant that would be the league office's dream, but I don't agree that we would get in in that scenario. I think the committee would begrudgingly put in Wofford if it were to lose, but I'm still not convinced they would pull the same trigger with Furman if we were to lose in OT in the finals to Wofford. Dream scenario for me is the same as everyone else on this board, but I think the realistic dream for the SoCon office would be UNCG, Furman or ETSU winning league crown, Wofford going to NCAAs as an at-large, and the other two teams going to NIT. Four teams in the two major tournaments would be absolutely remarkable for this conference.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #11438  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:49 am
That is not a dream it is fantasyland. The selection is biased and not fair. The big guys control everything. They are not going to give out bids to "small" conferences and take money from their pocket to be fair. Not going to happen. I think the only way the SoCon get even 2 is if WC loses. WC is the only team with a shot at an at large. You can take it to the bank their will be teams with 13, 14 and even 15 losses get in. Not because they deserve it but because of what conference they play in.
 #11439  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 am
apaladin wrote:
That is not a dream it is fantasyland. The selection is biased and not fair. The big guys control everything. They are not going to give out bids to "small" conferences and take money from their pocket to be fair. Not going to happen. I think the only way the SoCon get even 2 is if WC loses. WC is the only team with a shot at an at large. You can take it to the bank their will be teams with 13, 14 and even 15 losses get in. Not because they deserve it but because of what conference they play in.
Yep, truly is a rigged system, hope we are wrong this time around but history says otherwise
 #11441  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:07 am
Lunardi currently has WC as a 7 seed. I will be shocked if they get anything under a 10.
 #11442  by Fessor
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:02 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Yep, truly is a rigged system, hope we are wrong this time around but history says otherwise
I'll believe it when it happens.
 #11448  by CharlieFU
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:10 pm
Fessor wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:02 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I'll believe it when it happens.
Exactly what I have thought all along. It also helps me psychologically so I dont get so disappointed when we dont get a bid. The mental tricks we play!

I will say however that at leats being part of the conversation is progress. If you beleive some of those folks, we have a real shot at it. I just refuse to believe.
 #11458  by fufanatic
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:43 pm
Just remember that Clemson has the same number of quad 1 wins as we do (1), but had at least 5 more opportunities to play said quad 1 teams. Remember that on Selection Sunday when the committee goes on and on about how many quad 1 wins so and so has. Doesn't confirm that said team is better than a Furman for example, it just says that they had more opportunities.
Affirm and 1 others liked this
 #11460  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:06 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:43 pm
Just remember that Clemson has the same number of quad 1 wins as we do (1), but had at least 5 more opportunities to play said quad 1 teams. Remember that on Selection Sunday when the committee goes on and on about how many quad 1 wins so and so has. Doesn't confirm that said team is better than a Furman for example, it just says that they had more opportunities.
Side note:
Neutral court Quad 1 wins must fall in 1-50 NET

UNCG is currently 58, so a win against them in the semis would be just outside the Quad 1 parameters unfortunately

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.