• Ja Morant

#10665  by Fessor
 Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:30 pm
This young man from Sumter is projected to be a high NBA lottery pick out of Murray State. Wofford and SC State offered him a scholarship; Furman did not.

For those of us who keep up with recruiting, was he on our radar?
 #10688  by CharlieFU
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:32 am
Recruiting is somewhat of a mystery to me. I would like to say it was academics....but surely that's not the case with Woffy making an offer? Then again, I have heard that has happened in the past. We should never lose a player to Woffy over academics!

The more i have listened to our coaches talk about recruiting, the more i realize that what seems like a no brainer for one team, may not be such for another team. Position played, skill set, personality, background. Who knows!
Fessor liked this
 #10689  by Fessor
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:49 am
I hear you, but this guy is going to be an NBA lottery pick and he was two hours away.

Hind sight isn't just 20/20, it's more like 20/10; but, my larger point is this:

We are all aware of the diamonds in the rough coaches find, but we never know what the denominator is. What is the total number of diamonds that were out there to be found? Plus, the fact that he was on WC's radar and not ours.

Anyway, an academic question. I wouldn't swap our coaches for anyone's.
Last edited by Fessor on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #10691  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:57 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:32 am
Recruiting is somewhat of a mystery to me. I would like to say it was academics....but surely that's not the case with Woffy making an offer? Then again, I have heard that has happened in the past. We should never lose a player to Woffy over academics!
Happens all the time in all sports. Unfortunately.

I can't recall every hearing Ja Morant name in our recruiting conversations, but I freely admit we the general public are probably only aware of a single-digit percentage of the prospects we get involved with.
Fessor liked this
 #10692  by gman
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:11 am
Fessor wrote:
I hear you, but this guy is going to be an NBA lottery pick and he was two hours away.

Hind sight isn't just 20/20, it's more like 20/10; but, my larger point is this:

We are all aware of the diamonds in the rough coaches find, but we never know what the denominator is. What is the total number of diamonds that were out there to be found? Plus, the fact that he was on WC's radar and not ours.

Zion Williamson was only 45 minutes away and on Wofford's radar too. There are reasons we pass on certain players and reasons players pass on us. That is the recruiting process.
 #10698  by Flagman
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:20 am
Maybe we decided to go after Matt Rafferty, instead.
 #10699  by soconjohn
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:27 am
Well, South Carolina nor Clemson recruited him either.
 #10702  by Fessor
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 am
gman wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:11 am
Fessor wrote:

Zion Williamson was only 45 minutes away and on Wofford's radar too. There are reasons we pass on certain players and reasons players pass on us. That is the recruiting process.
What would the reason? Bad kid? No. Academics? No. Wofford offered. Doesn't fit the style of play? No. Fits perfectly.

The kid went to Murray State because they showed an interest. He went where he was wanted. We aren't interested in future NBA lottery picks?
 #10703  by Fessor
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:40 am
Flagman wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:20 am
Maybe we decided to go after Matt Rafferty, instead.
They don't play the same position and not in the same year.
 #10704  by Fessor
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:41 am
soconjohn wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:27 am
Well, South Carolina nor Clemson recruited him either.
The same can be said for everyone on the current FU roster and probably the last 30 FU rosters. So, we clearly go after kids they aren't interested in.
 #10706  by fufanatic
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:47 am
When we don't know for certain whether we looked at the guy or not, it's kind of a silly discussion to be having. If we know for certain that our coaches didn't even know who he was, that's obviously a miss. But apparently Wofford missed too because it didn't do enough to land him.
 #10708  by Fessor
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:49 am
fufanatic wrote:
When we don't know for certain whether we looked at the guy or not, it's kind of a silly discussion to be having. If we know for certain that our coaches didn't even know who he was, that's obviously a miss. But apparently Wofford missed too because it didn't do enough to land him.
My question was directed to the folks who follow our recruiting, one of whom has responded. If you either don't track our recruiting or think it's a silly question, then just ignore it.
 #10709  by fufanatic
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:53 am
Fessor wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:49 am
fufanatic wrote:
My question was directed to the folks who follow our recruiting, one of whom has responded. If you either don't track our recruiting or think it's a silly question, then just ignore it.
I think it's a fair question to start with, but when the recruiting experts on this board don't know the answer, it's not worth getting super upset about. Was he even highly recruited? I'm guessing not if he goes to Murray State. How many guys get drafted in the top 10 from schools like that? 1-2 every decade? If you're at a school like Furman or Wofford or Murray State, and you're looking for a diamond in the rough that could be a top 10 pick, you'll probably be waiting quite a while.
 #10712  by PaladinPower
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:19 am
https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/temetrius-morant

Per verbal commits, Ja Morant had offers from Wofford, SC State, UNC-A, USC, Coastal Carolina, Winthrop, High Point, to name a few.

I feel like finding lottery picks is not an exact science and though Murray believed they had a great player incoming, no one expected him to be a top 5 pick in the NBA. Let alone, be drafted into the NBA...
 #10715  by CharlieFU
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:42 am
If NO SILLY DISCUSSIONS is the standard, then let’s just shut the UFFP down right now!
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.