1:51-Bothwell 3 pointer

SUMMARY:

3 baskets in last 10:48 of second half

2nd half baskets:
Bothwell-3
Pegues-2
Hien-2
Slawson-1

In the second half we had one player who made a basket that was not a layup.

We missed all 14 three point attempts in the second half.

Sure we got some FT’s in the second half but you won’t win many games where you score 7 baskets in the second half and one in OT.

We have had droughts before including last year in Finals against UTC.

We actually played a strong first half.

I hope this was our bad half and that we have it behind us. We were lucky to win but a win is a win is a win.

I thought Western made a mistake at end of regulation. If anyone had just driven, we probably foul them and they beat us on FT’s. To have # 1 dribble forever and get off a terrible 3 was a break for us.

Only 5 bench points (Vanderwal FT’s). Pegues played 41 minutes and Carter Whitt only 7.

Cannot miss 16 FT and get out-rebounded by 10.

Total turnovers-3 . Awesome!

Hope to have breakout games from Alex Williams and Foster.

Pegues is most improved this year and the new All Southern Conference player. Tremendous potential.

Bothwell is our go-to guy in some really big games.

Much better experience in-person vs watching on TV.

I predict we bring home the gold tomorrow night and make history. I will be there!
FurmAlum, furpop16, din23 and 5 others liked this
 #67896  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:45 am
It kind of reminded me of a few of our football games against Western Carolina.

Get a comfortable lead, then have to fight them off in the second half as their offense can do no wrong.
 #67922  by purplehorse123
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:13 am
Don’t remember exact details but I do remember last year in Championship game that we had a horrific drought in the second half where we could not score baskets.

Last night against Western:

Once Pegues scored a basket with 13:53 we only scored 4 baskets in the last 18:52 minutes of the game. .

We miraculously survived that. Hopefully tonight will be more like the game last week against Samford where we shot well. But even if we miss shots, we have to make FT’s.

NO MORE DROUGHTS!
dornb liked this
 #67937  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:21 am
Purplehorse-great review of second half, just one slight correction, we were 1-15 in the second half with Bothwell’s 3 in OT that tied it at 77. It was a collapse of biblical proportion and I’m just happy we somehow survived and have a chance to play tonight. These “collapses” happen more often than you think. Purdue, one of the best teams in the country blew a 23 pont second half lead and was tied with over a minute left yesterday. FU should just be happy to be there and expect them to play well but I’m always optimistic! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by apaladin on Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
FU69 liked this
 #67943  by purplehorse123
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:20 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:21 am
Purplehorse-great review of second half, just one slight correction, we were 1-15 in the second half with Bothwell’s 3 in OT that tied it at 77. It was a collapse of biblical proportion and I’m just happy we somehow survived and have a chance to play tonight. These “collapses” happen more often than you think. Purdue, one of the best teams in the country blew a 23 pont second half lead and was tied with over a minute left yesterday. FU should just be happy to be there and expect them to play well but I’m always optimistic! :lol: :lol:
Yes you are correct. I knew in second half we missed our first 14 3’s and Bothwell hit the 15th one in OT. But technically we were 0-11 on 3’s in second half and then 0-3 in OT before Bothwell hit one of the biggest 3’s in Furman bb history. Reminds me of Caldwell for UTC last year in finals who hit 3 with about 26 seconds to tie the game. Without that we win. Without Bothwell’s 3 last night, we lose.

Always appreciate folks keeping me straight.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.