• Didn't see this one coming

#64069  by tya1
 Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:34 pm
South Carolina just beat Kentucky 71-68 at Rupp Arena. SC led the entire game. They were up as much as 13 in the first half and led by 10 at the half. Kentucky rallied to cut the margin to 1 in the last minute of the game but the Gamecocks held on for the victory, which was their first one at UK in 14 years. In their last game USC lost to Tennessee by 43. As it often is these days, three point shooting was a big factor. USC hit 55% and UK only 30%. Junior guard Meechie Johnson hit 6-10 from range and had a career high 26. He only hit 1-6 against Furman and scored 3 points when the Paladins whipped USC.

It isn't always easy for old-school fans to get used to, but the three point shot is a huge part of the game these days and has changed it. And the three point shot is naturally inconsistent. So you get upsets that didn't use to happen. If a High Point hits 70% of their threes in a half and 65% for the game and gets an upset you just have to accept that that is part of the game these days. Earlier this year Iowa lost to Eastern Ilinois by 9 points in a game they were favored to win by 31 points. Even after that upset Iowa is still ranked in the top 40 by Pomeroy and Eastern Illinois is ranked in the bottom 20. Someone said that was the biggest upset in the past 20 years.
Last edited by tya1 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #64070  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:06 am
Why not? Kentucky is not good this year. They lost by 26 to Alabama last game. Their wins are mostly against bottom feeders. They are currently receiving 0 votes for the AP top 25. When is the last time that has happened? After Clempson beats Duke Saturday, KY, UNC and Duke will all be out of the top 25. When is the last time that has happened. I agree the 3 point fg is THE determining factor in the vast majority of games so upsets do happen more frequently these days. Speaking of High Point, since they shot the lights out at FU they are 0-7, no wins in over a month. Sad thing is as long as Duke, UNC and KY finish with a winning record they are in the tournament, not because they deserve it but because of their name.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Affirm liked this
 #64073  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:52 am
apaladin wrote:
Why not? Kentucky is not good this year. They lost by 26 to Alabama last game. Their wins are mostly against bottom feeders. They are currently receiving 0 votes for the AP top 25. When is the last time that has happened? After Clempson beats Duke Saturday, KY, UNC and Duke will all be out of the top 25. When is the last time that has happened. I agree the 3 point fg is THE determining factor in the vast majority of games so upsets do happen more frequently these days. Speaking of High Point, since they shot the lights out at FU they are 0-7, no wins in over a month. Sad thing is as long as Duke, UNC and KY finish with a winning record they are in the tournament, because they deserve it but because of their name.
Usually when you think Clemson is going to keep on a roll, as in beating Duke this Saturday, it does not happen. We shall see.
Disgusting that High Point beats only us in their last 8 games.
 #64094  by FUBF24
 Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:44 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Why not? Kentucky is not good this year. They lost by 26 to Alabama last game. Their wins are mostly against bottom feeders. They are currently receiving 0 votes for the AP top 25. When is the last time that has happened? After Clempson beats Duke Saturday, KY, UNC and Duke will all be out of the top 25. When is the last time that has happened. I agree the 3 point fg is THE determining factor in the vast majority of games so upsets do happen more frequently these days. Speaking of High Point, since they shot the lights out at FU they are 0-7, no wins in over a month. Sad thing is as long as Duke, UNC and KY finish with a winning record they are in the tournament, because they deserve it but because of their name.
Usually when you think Clemson is going to keep on a roll, as in beating Duke this Saturday, it does not happen. We shall see.
On the bright side, Stephen F. Austin hasn't lost since losing to us.
furpop16 liked this
 #64105  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:34 pm
I didn't see that one coming either but there is more to it than just the 3 pointers. The 3-point shot is nothing new. It has been part of college basketball since the '83-'84 season.

What has changed is there are a lot more teams having to start over with a new roster every year due to (1) the one and dones like Duke and Kentucky who are always playing freshman, and (2) the transfer portal where 3/4 of your team might transfer out and you have a whole new team the following year.

Contrast that with the teams that are able to retain players and have 5th year seniors like Furman and it has led to a lot more parity in college BB. A mid-major that has a lot of good experienced players now has a chance against the bluebloods as long as the game is on a neutral court.

A team with a new roster may start out the season not familiar with each other and then after a couple months get it together once they learn to play with each other. I know Kentucky is not as good as usual but could it be that USC has finally improved? I guess UT wouldn't think so but UK would. :D
 #64127  by Louis Tully
 Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:46 pm
I have watched the gamecocks more than I should have this year. They are bad but they have improved significantly. I kept waiting for them to collapse last night but they didnt. Kentucky should be embarrassed.
 #64128  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:30 am
FUBF24 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:44 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
On the bright side, Stephen F. Austin hasn't lost since losing to us.
……..and HP lost their 8th in a row losing to Chuck Southern 106-69 :shock:
 #64610  by tya1
 Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:48 pm
To complete the circle of confusion - Kentucky went to Tennessee and beat the Vols on their home court last Saturday.

So Tenn. beats the Gamecocks by 43 in Columbia, SC wins at Kentucky,Kentucky wins at UT.

College basketball 2023. That is the way it is. Enjoy every win and don't hyperventilate over the losses.
Affirm, FU Hoopla, Roundball and 1 others liked this
 #64617  by Affirm
 Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:24 am
Louis Tully wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:46 pm
I have watched the gamecocks more than I should have this year. They are bad but they have improved significantly. I kept waiting for them to collapse last night but they didnt. Kentucky should be embarrassed.
They beat Clemson early.

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.