• SoCon mercenary schools

#52790  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:52 pm
Today Dan Earl did his introductory press conference at UTC, once the floor was opened for questioning literally the very FIRST question he got was regarding how he will use the transfer portal :roll:
How embarrassing it must be for some of the SoCon schools to know that is their only chance to compete, instead of trying to build a strong culture and program that always has its own guys ready to plug in every season that acutally care about the school as Furman has done. The portal is not a sustained way to build a consistent winner, look at the dumpster fire we see at ETSU now!
 #52791  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:58 pm
And yes I know we have a running thread about getting a transfer, we are trying to get ONE guy that could help on a title run next season, to play with 12 other guys recruited to Furman as freshman.
On the UTC board they are talking about getting 8 new transfers brought in this season lol, that's disgusting to be frank
FU69 liked this
 #52793  by FUBeAR
 Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:32 pm
So…you’re saying these other SoCon schools are participating in Intercollegiate Athletics in the 2020’s?

Got it.
bj93, gman84 liked this
 #52794  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:56 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:32 pm
So…you’re saying these other SoCon schools are participating in Intercollegiate Athletics in the 2020’s?

Got it.
See Furman in the 2020's to disprove your statement

ETSU is/was a mercenary school and now is a dumpster fire

UTC is a mercenary school and will also soon be a dumpster fire, bank on it
Although I am sure Dan Earl knows a more sustained way to build is through better HS recruiting efforts

Its not a sustainable model for continued success, getting one or two guys is no big deal, but getting your entire team built on transfers is a joke, and screams desperation, more times than not its not going to work out

Its downright embarrassing for a school's fan base that the first question a new university's coach has to answer is about the transfer portal

These players rarely care about the school they are playing at long term as a mercenary for 1 or 2 years, and I seriously doubt many of them wind up even getting a degree from that school
 #52795  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:28 pm
What was Earl’s answer to the transfer question? He really has no choice but to heavily use the portal.
 #52798  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:28 pm
What was Earl’s answer to the transfer question? He really has no choice but to heavily use the portal.
He jokingly said 'what's the transfer portal' :D

#52799  by soconjohn
 Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:24 pm
I am not ready to sit here and judge other schools for the way they do things as long as its legal...I don't have a problem with coaches going to the portal...Building an entire team that was is a lot harder than developing four-year guys...I will say that...Overall, I like the idea of using the portal with caution and finding a piece or two that might fit...Got no issues with that whatsoever.
 #52800  by soconjohn
 Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:29 pm
I really like Dan Earl...Had no issues with Lamont Paris...Liked him, too...Forbes was great at ETSU...Forbes used JUCOs more than power conference transfers...There's an art to that and I didn't have a problem with it because he knew the landscape...The problem comes when guys don't know what they are doing...Furman needs to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing or how...If Furman does its thing, it will be fine.
FUBeAR, apaladin, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #52801  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:55 pm
I've got no problem judging these mercenary schools for what they do, and I've got no problem admitting that I look down on them for the way they run their programs, one man's opinion and I am sticking to it
apaladin, FU69 liked this
 #52802  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:28 am
The transfer option has always been there but sitting out a year was a deterrant. Now since the NCAA starting allowing transfers without sitting a year the portal floodgates have opened. Who knows where it ends up. I’m afraid it is going to get much more dirtier than it already is.
 #52803  by greenvegas
 Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:50 am
It must be embarrassing for the SoCon to be continually represented in the NCAA basketball tourney by "commuter schools" who by definition must be made up of 90% transfers with a combined GPA of "zero....point......zero".
FU69 liked this
 #52804  by Roundball
 Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:27 am
tim wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:32 pm
Team chemistry would be a problem, especially in basketball.
I dislike the transfer portal situation too, but It didn’t hurt Chatty this past year. Somehow, Paris was able to mold that team filled with transfers into a champion.
bj93 liked this
 #52805  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:51 am
Roundball wrote:
tim wrote:
I dislike the transfer portal situation too, but It didn’t hurt Chatty this past year. Somehow, Paris was able to mold that team filled with transfers into a champion.
Yep…
* FUBeAR sure don’t love the portal
* FUBeAR sure don’t love NIL (for reasons that have nothing to do with ‘denying Players their “bags”’)
* FUBeAR sure don’t love the NCAA’s new default position of absolute abdication of responsibility for governance
* FUBeAR sure don’t love the US DoL’s Chief Counsel ruling that Student Athletes are actually “Student Employees”
* FUBeAR sure don’t love the hypocrisy of P5 schools pretending they are running an amateur athletics program and that Student Athletes’ welfare retains primacy in their decision processes
* FUBeAR sure don’t love the hypocrisy of non-P5 schools (G5 / Mid-Major types) pretending to be P5 schools and financing that hypocrisy via the coffers of their students’ parents

At some point, as (and if) this list continues to expand, FUBeAR may lose any interest in Intercollegiate Athletics…but until that time comes, FUBeAR wants his Team/Teams to do everything possible to win championships within the framework of the existing competitive environment and without getting outside the lines of the most broadly interpreted mission of the schools sponsoring his Team/Teams, while (really) maintaining the primacy of the welfare of their Student Athletes in their decision processes.
FU3, Davemeister, bj93 and 2 others liked this
 #52810  by Furmanoid
 Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:01 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:51 am
Roundball wrote:
tim wrote:
Yep…
* FUBeAR sure don’t love the portal
* FUBeAR sure don’t love NIL (for reasons that have nothing to do with ‘denying Players their “bags”’)
* FUBeAR sure don’t love the NCAA’s new default position of absolute abdication of responsibility for governance
* FUBeAR sure don’t love the US DoL’s Chief Counsel ruling that Student Athletes are actually “Student Employees”
* FUBeAR sure don’t love the hypocrisy of P5 schools pretending they are running an amateur athletics program and that Student Athletes’ welfare retains primacy in their decision processes
* FUBeAR sure don’t love the hypocrisy of non-P5 schools (G5 / Mid-Major types) pretending to be P5 schools and financing that hypocrisy via the coffers of their students’ parents

At some point, as (and if) this list continues to expand, FUBeAR may lose any interest in Intercollegiate Athletics…but until that time comes, FUBeAR wants his Team/Teams to do everything possible to win championships within the framework of the existing competitive environment and without getting outside the lines of the most broadly interpreted mission of the schools sponsoring his Team/Teams, while (really) maintaining the primacy of the welfare of their Student Athletes in their decision processes.
Damn right. If we ain’t cheatin, we ain’t tryin. Only cheating ain’t even cheating anymore.
FUBeAR, apaladin, FU69 liked this