• Little Chattanooga, Davidson, St. Peter’s, Richmond

#52208  by Sad Din
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:15 am
IHMO, Dins should not aspire that low.

Dins should aspire to be Gonzaga and Villanova. It can be done with right resources and priorities.

Gville is booming and with right strategy Dins could capitalize on that.

Its all abou recruiting and CBR and staff have done an excellent job with that! Its clear what CBR uses as competitive advantage is development and cultture. Thats how they turned Mounce, Gurley, Slaw, Both, Lyons and many others into stars. Dins need to find those hidden 2 and 3 star gems with the right fit.

For that, they need a big budget to find players all over the country and even EU. Thats what McKillop does. Secondly, they need the right staff to do research, evaluations, contacts, etc.

Its all about recruiting and that has to be a first rate operation

Add a few more upgrades and many some cirruculum adjustments for players that dont want to be lawyers and doctors.

But heck, what does SD know....
FurmAlum, din23, underjack liked this
 #52209  by cavedweller2
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:39 am
Sad Din wrote:

Dins should aspire to be Gonzaga and Villanova. It can be done with right resources and priorities.
This! I expect CBR to return with Slawson and Bothwell plus a high quality big man transfer in.
FurmAlum, Roundball, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #52210  by Furmanoid
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:02 am
Sad Din wrote:

Its all abou recruiting and CBR and staff have done an excellent job with that! Its clear what CBR uses as competitive advantage is development and cultture. Thats how they turned Mounce, Gurley, Slaw, Both, Lyons and many others into stars. Dins need to find those hidden 2 and 3 star gems with the right fit.

For that, they need a big budget to find players all over the country and even EU. Thats what McKillop does. Secondly, they need the right staff to do research, evaluations, contacts, etc.

Add a few more upgrades and many some cirruculum adjustments for players that dont want to be lawyers and doctors.

Your last point is perhaps the most important. If Clemson can find a way to get players through school, why can’t we? Clemson is at least as selective, if not more selective, for non athletes as FU is, but they can take players who are nowhere close to their regular entrance requirements and get them through. We could do the same, and instantly improve in all sports. I wonder if we also have TOEFL requirements that eliminate the foreign guys. If that’s it then we could at least try to mine Australia.
 #52213  by tim
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:38 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:27 am
Little Davidson, Chattanooga, St. Peter’s, and Richmond, among others, are examples of what Furman Basketball can do. Let’s keep improving.
What did the little fellows do other than extend their season by one game and about 2 hours of glory, one and done? How much did they make? What is their share? What is the conference share? Tell us.
 #52214  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:44 am
Think St.Peters and Richmond did a whole lot more than 2 hours of glory. St. Peters will never be forgotten. Richmnd is in the final 32. UTC and Davey lost by one point to Big10 teams. We would love to be in any of their shoes.
dornb, Affirm liked this
 #52224  by furpop16
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:18 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:11 pm
Right now St. Peter’s is a well known basketball program among HS players because of that one game. Very few have ever heard of Furman. So I think it did do their program some good.

And either they or another mid-major - Murray State - will advance to the Sweet 16.
 #52228  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:39 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:11 pm
Right now St. Peter’s is a well known basketball program among HS players because of that one game. Very few have ever heard of Furman. So I think it did do their program some good.
Absolutely right. Not just HS players, but the entire population that pays attention to college sports. There are some schools whose FCS football team wins the championship without getting any more publicity than winning this one game did for St Peters. Similarly, although Richmond is mediocre in football, about like Furman the last several years, Richmond has a great FCS record during the last 15 years - but their basketball win this week has created much great publicity for Richmond. And Chattanooga and Davidson have greatly polished their good images with their one point losses yesterday.
 #52229  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:43 pm
Sad Din wrote:

As I said, let’s keep improving. Aspire to be like Davidson or Richmond first.
 #52230  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Think St.Peters and Richmond did a whole lot more than 2 hours of glory. St. Peters will never be forgotten. Richmnd is in the final 32. UTC and Davey lost by one point to Big10 teams. We would love to be in any of their shoes.
Absolutely.
(Hey, we were able to go and lose to Austin Peay State University in an FCS football playoff game a few years ago. I am pretty sure also that Furman even won one FCS football playoff game (maybe more than one, check the archives) some time in the last 10-15 years or so, but a lot of people are unaware of such an obscure fact(s).)
Last edited by Affirm on Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #52240  by tim
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Yeah, I had forgotten St Peters was the one that had the big upset. Its hard to believe thats the same team we saw in the Cit several years back, right when Medved left I believe.
Affirm liked this
 #52246  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:14 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sad Din wrote:

Your last point is perhaps the most important. If Clemson can find a way to get players through school, why can’t we? Clemson is at least as selective, if not more selective, for non athletes as FU is, but they can take players who are nowhere close to their regular entrance requirements and get them through. We could do the same, and instantly improve in all sports. I wonder if we also have TOEFL requirements that eliminate the foreign guys. If that’s it then we could at least try to mine Australia.
With all due respect to every single Clemson student-athlete, Clemson is so much larger than Furman and has such a large number of selectively-acquired student-non-athletes that they can perhaps manage to use "loopholes" and justifications and exceptions that allow them to "take players who are nowhere close to their regular entrance requirements." Additionally, Clemson is so much richer than Furman is so perhaps Clemson is able to afford much more robust and extensive student-athlete academic support for any or all student-athletes - thus making so-called lower levels of selectivity much less of an issue.
... Regarding aspiring to be Gonzaga and Villanova.
That would be good, but like I said, we should be aspire to be like Richmond and Davidson and St. Peter's (and even Chattanooga - they have 12 SoCon Championships since our last SoCon Championship) first.
Villanova is Big East, of course. Big East. Big advantage there. VU has 6791 undergrads and 3108 grad students. 1.12 billion endowment.
Gonzaga has 4852 undergrads and 2443 grad students. 308.2 million endowment. No football.
Furman has 2662 undergrads and 115 grad students. 670 million endowment.
Richmond. 3202 U, 712 G. (much closer in size to Furman than VU or GU) 3.3 billion endowment.
Davidson. 1983 U, 0 (zero) G. (smaller in size than Furman). 1.3 billion endowment.
St. Peter's. Almost equal to Furman in undergrad size: 2672 (ten more undergrad students than Furman). 881 grad students. 37 million endowment. St. Peter's is 150 years old THIS YEAR. (Furman will be 200 years old 4 years from now. Can we please have something big to celebrate by March Madness 2026 for our 200th like St. Peter's is celebrating right now for their 150th? Richmond will be 200 years old 8 years from now. They are already into their celebrating "8 years early"!) No football at St. Peter's.
The other "little" one is Chattanooga, which is not really little: 10,239 undergrads and 1399 grad students. 147.1 million endowment. The only way they are "little" is they are SoCon, but more importantly than that, just the fact that they were seeded far below Big Ten Illinois.
 #52268  by Furmanoid
 Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:46 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:14 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sad Din wrote:

With all due respect to every single Clemson student-athlete, Clemson is so much larger than Furman and has such a large number of selectively-acquired student-non-athletes that they can perhaps manage to use "loopholes" and justifications and exceptions that allow them to "take players who are nowhere close to their regular entrance requirements." Additionally, Clemson is so much richer than Furman is so perhaps Clemson is able to afford much more robust and extensive student-athlete academic support for any or all student-athletes - thus making so-called lower levels of selectivity much less of an issue.
... Regarding aspiring to be Gonzaga and Villanova.
That would be good, but like I said, we should be aspire to be like Richmond and Davidson and St. Peter's (and even Chattanooga - they have 12 SoCon Championships since our last SoCon Championship) first.
Villanova is Big East, of course. Big East. Big advantage there. VU has 6791 undergrads and 3108 grad students. 1.12 billion endowment.
Gonzaga has 4852 undergrads and 2443 grad students. 308.2 million endowment. No football.
Furman has 2662 undergrads and 115 grad students. 670 million endowment.
Richmond. 3202 U, 712 G. (much closer in size to Furman than VU or GU) 3.3 billion endowment.
Davidson. 1983 U, 0 (zero) G. (smaller in size than Furman). 1.3 billion endowment.
St. Peter's. Almost equal to Furman in undergrad size: 2672 (ten more undergrad students than Furman). 881 grad students. 37 million endowment. St. Peter's is 150 years old THIS YEAR. (Furman will be 200 years old 4 years from now. Can we please have something big to celebrate by March Madness 2026 for our 200th like St. Peter's is celebrating right now for their 150th? Richmond will be 200 years old 8 years from now. They are already into their celebrating "8 years early"!) No football at St. Peter's.
The other "little" one is Chattanooga, which is not really little: 10,239 undergrads and 1399 grad students. 147.1 million endowment. The only way they are "little" is they are SoCon, but more importantly than that, just the fact that they were seeded far below Big Ten Illinois.
When did you go to Furman? I went ‘79-‘83. I think it was a really good college then. Yet there were all these athletes hanging around who, I guess, wouldn’t be accepted now. But they didn’t seem to lower the quality of education at FU. I tutored, and some of those guys were pretty dumb (or doing a good job faking it), but the school thrived somehow. All I’m saying is that for no money (so endowment size does not matter) we can tweak admissions and instantly approve. I have never seen an explanation for why we aren’t doing that.