• Slawson's Head Injury

#51282  by NEPA
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:30 am
When Slawson went down in OT i thought he banged his head on the floor, read where his head was stepped on by opposing player. I was upstairs sitting almost directly behind CBR, could someone please explain to me why he or the trainer did not attend to Slawson while he was laying on the floor clutching his head, just to check on his condition and see if he was capable of staying in the game, To me when Slawson got up he looked dazed and the next thing was taken out and sitting on the bench. Tough loss, but what a great game and season Furman had and i hope this journey somehow continues.
FU69 liked this
 #51284  by Roundball
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:39 am
Slawson looked dazed when he stood up. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has concussion.
 #51287  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:50 am
He was fine when he fell, but then the Chatt Player’s foot, unintentionally, came down on the side of his face, causing the back of his head to smack the floor pretty hard.

I suspect the FU Coaches/Trainers didn’t have a good initial look at it either…and I didn’t think he was down that long after they ‘unpiled.’ When he got up, he looked dazed, but we (ESPN viewers) could only see that because the camera was right on his face/eyes. We had a better view than the FU Coaches/Trainers at the other end of the court.

Always a tough call with a bumped noggin’ … especially at that point in the game. If the trainers rush to attend him on the court, then he’s definitely gonna be held out when he could be perfectly OK. The Refs got him over to the FU bench end and the Trainers got to him, he was removed from the game, and the Trainers/Doctors were attending to him on the bench.

Seemed to FUBeAR that everyone did everything exactly right in this situation.
QCGlue, furpop16 liked this
 #51320  by NEPA
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:03 pm
FUBeAR Thank you for the reply, was not aware of that.
 #51326  by Paladin91
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:14 pm
He more than likely wasn't attended to right away by Furman's trainers because the second a trainer/physician/coach comes off the bench to attend to him, he must by rule come out of the game. So my guess is that they were waiting to see how hurt he was - I think when he came over to the sideline dazed, they finally realized he couldn't stay in and needed to come out.
 #51327  by Flagman
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:18 pm
I believe the reason for the delay was to see if Slaw could get up on his own. If he had, he could have stayed in the game. If he’s attended to by the trainers, he has to come out. It was clear, however, after he got up, that it was more serious. He certainly didn’t want to spend the end of the game on the bench. He’s a tough guy. Hope it’s not too serious. There’s basketball ahead for this team.
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #51360  by BucDoctor
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:47 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:14 pm
He more than likely wasn't attended to right away by Furman's trainers because the second a trainer/physician/coach comes off the bench to attend to him, he must by rule come out of the game. So my guess is that they were waiting to see how hurt he was - I think when he came over to the sideline dazed, they finally realized he couldn't stay in and needed to come out.
That is correct. With ETSU's short bench at the end of the season, the decision to call for the trainer/coach was made by a teammate on the court-often the team captain.

With deeper benches or in non crucial situations I expect the trainer would have been on the spot.