• Perspective

#50489  by furpop16
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:44 pm
Despite my natural inclination to don purple-colored glasses, I have to admit our recent three-game skid has had me in a bit of a funk. Thumping the WCU bottom-feeders has provided some relief, but not as much as I hoped as we prepare to host Wofford - the team I'm certain harbors a stash of kryptonite displaying a beautiful diamond F. When they pull that baby out of the vault our guys might as well join the cast of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Check the locker room for human-sized seed pods.

This morning though I'm looking at our #73 KenPom Rating, thinking of what could-have-been, when I see the team just ahead of us #72 Syracuse. Think of that. The Orange. '03 NCAA Champions, six final-fours since '75. Jim Boeheim. And our guys are tucked just under them even after having suffered the February we've had.

Naturally one thinks that says more about Syracuse's modest 13-12 season than Furman's place in the KenPom, until looking at the list that follows: #77 Santa Clara, #78 Virginia, #85 Cincinnati, #87 Wichita St. (!), #88 St. Bonaventure ... The Bonnies ! And I haven't even mentioned the nearby land-grant university with the all-that football team at #84.

CBR understandably reminds us to "remain humble" - and I concur inasmuch as I'm thankful for our players' health and the blessings of our team's resurgence - but I'm itching to cast-off this role of "up and comer". The players & coaches have earned their position among these storied teams, dammit. Furman belongs with this crowd, and I'm looking forward to the finish this team will enjoy. Go FU !
FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #50491  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:57 pm
Agree. We totally blew the best opportunity to win the regular season in years and years with that 3 game skid which was a huge head scratcher and what makes it even worse every one of those games were winnable in the end. That is what makes is so disappointing. It is what it is and nothing can be done about it now. Win the next 3 and finish strong heading into the tournament. Start by beating WC Saturday. The future is in front not behind.
furpop16 liked this
 #50492  by stonemd
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:14 pm
We were regular season Co-champs 2016-17
din23 liked this
 #50493  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:45 pm
stonemd wrote:
We did not win it outright and we did not get the auto NIT bid, same as finishing second, third or fourth.
 #50496  by din23
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
stonemd wrote:
We did not win it outright and we did not get the auto NIT bid, same as finishing second, third or fourth.
Not the same at all as finishing second, third or fourth! We were SoCon Champs that year, along with two other teams.

Which years on the football fieldhouse do you not count?
 #50501  by Affirm
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:20 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:57 pm
Agree. We totally blew the best opportunity to win the regular season in years and years with that 3 game skid which was a huge head scratcher and what makes it even worse every one of those games were winnable in the end. That is what makes is so disappointing. It is what it is and nothing can be done about it now. Win the next 3 and finish strong heading into the tournament. Start by beating WC Saturday. The future is in front not behind.
We are accustomed to things happening to cause disappointment. I am looking forward to - 555 hours from right - now celebrating our first championship in 42 years.
Last edited by Affirm on Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
furpop16, FU69, QCGlue liked this
 #50502  by Affirm
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:26 pm
din23 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
stonemd wrote:
Not the same at all as finishing second, third or fourth! We were SoCon Champs that year, along with two other teams.

Which years on the football fieldhouse do you not count?
The football championship is not determined by a tournament. I do not know how legitimate it is for the regular season basketball champion to be champion - probably completely legitimate. Nevertheless, the SoCon Tourney championship is the only one that always carries weight, i.e., you automatically get to keep playing. Of course, we have never used that next game successfully except one time in all history.
 #50624  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:27 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:44 pm
Despite my natural inclination to don purple-colored glasses, I have to admit our recent three-game skid has had me in a bit of a funk. Thumping the WCU bottom-feeders has provided some relief, but not as much as I hoped as we prepare to host Wofford - the team I'm certain harbors a stash of kryptonite displaying a beautiful diamond F. When they pull that baby out of the vault our guys might as well join the cast of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Check the locker room for human-sized seed pods.

This morning though I'm looking at our #73 KenPom Rating, thinking of what could-have-been, when I see the team just ahead of us #72 Syracuse. Think of that. The Orange. '03 NCAA Champions, six final-fours since '75. Jim Boeheim. And our guys are tucked just under them even after having suffered the February we've had.

Naturally one thinks that says more about Syracuse's modest 13-12 season than Furman's place in the KenPom, until looking at the list that follows: #77 Santa Clara, #78 Virginia, #85 Cincinnati, #87 Wichita St. (!), #88 St. Bonaventure ... The Bonnies ! And I haven't even mentioned the nearby land-grant university with the all-that football team at #84.

CBR understandably reminds us to "remain humble" - and I concur inasmuch as I'm thankful for our players' health and the blessings of our team's resurgence - but I'm itching to cast-off this role of "up and comer". The players & coaches have earned their position among these storied teams, dammit. Furman belongs with this crowd, and I'm looking forward to the finish this team will enjoy. Go FU !
Yes, I agree. Go Furman.
But since "Perspective" is the title, I will point out that Sagarin as of TODAY shows
Clemson 83, UofSC 84, UTC 95, Furman 96.
Remain humble. players and coaches have earned a lot, but it has not been recognized by every current rating, and it probably won't be recognized by every current rating or every college basketball fan in South Carolina, even after we win the SoCon Tournament championship on March 7, 2022, our first in 42 years.
Go Furman.
 #50626  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:46 pm
Not a fan of Sagarin at all. His system is skewed too heavily toward the big boys. Don’t have to win any just play in a big conference, For example how can a team with a 12 -15 record thats lost 5 in a row be ranked 13 spots ahead of a team that is 19-10? The NET is the only one that matters and FU is ranked above both CU and SC as they should be. If you like Kenpom which is much better than Sagarin FU is ranked higher than all 3 you mentioned.

Wonder if Jonny Lawrence will ever play again?
 #50629  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Not a fan of Sagarin at all. His system is skewed too heavily toward the big boys. Don’t have to win any just play in a big conference, For example how can a team with a 12 -15 record thats lost 5 in a row be ranked 13 spots ahead of a team that is 19-10? The NET is the only one that matters and FU is ranked above both CU and SC as they should be. If you like Kenpom which is much better than Sagarin FU is ranked higher than all 3 you mentioned.

Well and good.
But what about Sagarin having Davidson at 66, Belmont at 72. I guess you say they play in a big conference. Or maybe just that they win. 21-4 and 23-5 respectively.
Then what about Richmond at 81 (17-10).
Remain humble. Keep winning.
Go Furman.

No idea who Jonny Lawrence even is.
 #50633  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:49 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:15 pm
apaladin wrote:

Well and good.
But what about Sagarin having Davidson at 66, Belmont at 72. I guess you say they play in a big conference. Or maybe just that they win. 21-4 and 23-5 respectively.
Then what about Richmond at 81 (17-10).
Remain humble. Keep winning.
Go Furman.

No idea who Jonny Lawrence even is.
https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/mens- ... rence/4695
 #50637  by Affirm
 Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:03 am
UTC & FU each moved up (improved) 1 spot today in Sagarin to 94 & 95.
PS: Embarrassed that I stated I did not know who Jonny Lawrence is. I apologize.
PPS: UofSC moved down (worse) 1 spot today in Sagarin. They beat 21 LSU Saturday.
Maybe the women’s win yesterday made the men look worse.
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar TV

by Afurmanfan

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:36 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:28 pm

Default Avatar Other teams on schedule - upcoming scouting

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:05 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.