• 2022 A FIRST IN FU ATHLETIC HISTORY

#48541  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:29 pm
2022 will see a first in Furman sports history. This year will feature a 6 month absence of any major sports at FU thanks to ED’s decision to axe our historic baseball program. From the first week of March when basketball ends until the first week of September when football starts there will be a huge void for us fans. Last year would have been the first year for this void but we had spring football. Thanks ED!

As for the basketball team just try to finish in the top half to avoid the extra game. Prolly finish somewhere in the middle but could be worse. Need to finush no lower than 6. Should be no pressure now so just go play, Finishing above .500 should be a goal. Todays effort should really see a spike in ticket sales for the games at the Well! 😂😂😂
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #48544  by purplehorse
 Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:40 pm
I thought you were going to say it was the first time in Furman basketball history where we were down 1-0 before the game had even officially started. Has anyone ever seen or heard of that before?
 #48560  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:22 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:10 pm
WLax goes until early May which is close to when BBall ended.

Hate losing Baseball as much as the next guy though
I said major sports, baseball, basketball and football. W lax does not qualify.
 #48573  by FurmanATT
 Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:13 pm
Believe you me, I'm dreading having no baseball to cover on FurmanATT.com. The spring is going to be a perilous and slow time for the website. I'm going to do a lot of brainstorming to come up with stories on Furman history and we'll try to make up in features what we lack in event coverage.
Maybe we should adopt the Greenville Drive. Or North Greenville. Something.
-- MD
apaladin, underjack liked this
 #48580  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:08 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:22 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:10 pm
WLax goes until early May which is close to when BBall ended.

Hate losing Baseball as much as the next guy though
I said major sports, baseball, basketball and football. W lax does not qualify.
Yes, of course baseball is a major sport.
Baseball could possibly come back to Furman if some donor would make an astronomically large contribution to restart the program and to subsidize /help maintain the program for a very long period of time (until whenever Furman is able to adjust overall athletics funding to keep baseball and all the rest). HOWEVER, because of Title IX, etc., the hypothetical donor would need to also include in her/his astronomically large contribution enough money to simultaneously also start up and subsidize /help maintain (for a very long period of time, until whenever Furman is able to adjust overall athletics funding) *2 or 3 ADDITIONAL women’s teams*.
I would suggest **BEACH VOLLEYBALL**, **RIFLE** (possibly coed, though preferably women’s only), and **FIELD HOCKEY**.
(By the way, the SoCon website has a chart, “Women’s Sports Sponsored By School”. And it also has another chart, ”Women’s Varsity Sports Not Sponsored By SoCon.” The latter states that Furman sponsors BEACH VOLLEYBALL and plays in the OVC along with UTC. ** I think the SoCon should correct that mistake. [Or do we actually have a “secret, undercover” BEACH VOLLEYBALL team?] That same chart also states that Mercer has BEACH VOLLEYBALL, competing in ASUN.
Additional “by-the-way” note: Schools in our general area sponsoring FIELD HOCKEY include Davidson, App State, Wake, Duke, UNC, Liberty, Richmond, VCU, W&M, Old Dominion.)
Happy New Year!
Addendum:
At least 12 colleges in SC, NC, GA, and TN have Women’s Swimming & Diving, including close-by schools Clemson, UofSC, Davidson, Gardner-Webb, and UNCA. Women’s Swimming & Diving is another one that could be considered for addition to help balance with baseball.
 #48582  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:48 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:45 am
Golf and tennis are major sports.
Yes, and they ARE spring sports.
Glad we’re not considering adding those for women, I.e., glad that we already have very high-level women’s golf and women’s tennis programs.
 #48585  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:06 pm
Tennis has twice as many fans as baseball (1B vs 500M). I know lots of people who play tennis and golf. I don’t know anybody who plays baseball (over age 18).
 #48588  by apaladin
 Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:54 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:06 pm
Tennis has twice as many fans as baseball (1B vs 500M). I know lots of people who play tennis and golf. I don’t know anybody who plays baseball (over age 18).
Has nothing to do with fans. Ask anyone in the sports world what the 3 major sports are? No one is talking about participation sports.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.