• @ Winthrop Dec. 7th

#47312  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:55 pm
It was a total beat down last year at WU. Never was in the game and it was over before halftime. We really need someone to step up and claim the 5th starter spot. Hein looked great early but now is struggling. Foster started the last 3 games but was a non-factor last night. In fact Hein and Foster played a combined 38 minutes last night and they had 6 points, 4 rebounds, 3 turnovers. Really don’t see anyone else but those 2 that are candidates right now. Respass and Williams are not ready I don’t think but Respass has size. Can’t start another guard because that would give us 4 starters 6’3” or smaller.
 #47314  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:33 pm
RaleighDin wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:10 pm
Anyone have an update on Lawrence?
Forgot about Lawrence. He could fill that spot, good shooter with size. Haven’t heard anything, IIRC seems like at one time he was supposed to be back by SoCon time but could be wrong. If he is not back by January may as well redshirt.
 #47326  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:57 pm
Winthrop, coached by Mark Prosser (coached at WCU last season) will enter the game at 4-4
 #47329  by PaladinPower
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:55 pm
It was a total beat down last year at WU. Never was in the game and it was over before halftime. We really need someone to step up and claim the 5th starter spot. Hein looked great early but now is struggling. Foster started the last 3 games but was a non-factor last night. In fact Hein and Foster played a combined 38 minutes last night and they had 6 points, 4 rebounds, 3 turnovers. Really don’t see anyone else but those 2 that are candidates right now. Respass and Williams are not ready I don’t think but Respass has size. Can’t start another guard because that would give us 4 starters 6’3” or smaller.
Never heard of the rule that you can’t start 4 guards.. Certainly worked last night for the end of the 2nd half and OT.I do believe it’d be beneficial to have Joe come of the bench and continue to provide a spark, but the kid showed he’s ready for some minutes IMO.

If Alex Williams, Pegues, Hien, Foster, and Joe can all rotate through the season, it gives FU a pretty strong 9 deep team.
FU69 liked this
 #47338  by Jasper
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:39 pm
Furman does not have a big other than Slawson who plays bigger than his 6’7”. Hein needs 25 lbs. of muscle and a more aggressive attitude. Anderson’s deep penetration to the hoop was very important last night. He sees the open 3 point shooter very well. If we are going to play an inside out game, I would rather do it with a penetration guard. Hein can’t shoot and offers no basket protection at this point in his career. If we need to insert more size, Williams is the best option. C of C did not make us pay for playing a 4 guard lineup. Others will. The 5 is a big hole right now.
 #47339  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:11 am
Agree Jasper. Big hole to fill with the 5th starter. A shame that Gurley is at Alabama. How good could this team be if he was the 5th starter? Even worse he has lost his starting position and his minutes are going down. Anyway no use crying over spilt milk, lol. Still hoping someone will step up.
 #47348  by FurmanATT
 Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:08 am
I've been relegated to watching most of the games on TV.
Caleb Gilbert, my official GM and unofficial righthand man, has taken to the Paladins' basketball team like mustard on a corn dog, and he's closer and he wants to be there. I expect I'll be at Timmons and/or the Well to write the occasional column, but I've been occupying myself more with PC and local high schools with the LaurensCountySports.com site, which is where we want FurmanATT.com to be, which is ... profitable. It's early yet, and Caleb's going to be working a lot on that, too.
He and I talk about the team. On Friday night, I was covering the Clinton at Laurens basketball games, and PC was at home against Bob Jones, and our student part-timer had that one, and when I got home Caleb called and was excited and surprised to know I didn't know a thing about the Charleston game, which he proceeded to tell me all about, and I looked at his photos, edited his story and did the layout.
I've been putting together the weekly sports schedules. I expect to be at the ASU game, but one never knows when something -- oh, like maybe the PC football coach quitting -- will change the landscape.
Anyway, I'll be there as often as I can.
I also get a lot out of reading these posts.

-- MD
apaladin, underjack liked this
 #47354  by Paul C
 Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:41 pm
Marcus Foster is bigger than the 6-4 he’s listed and has a massive wingspan. He’s still developing but I expect to see more and more consistent production from him as the season progresses.
Fuonetime liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.