• @ High Point Nov. 30

#46996  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:09 pm
High Point has a very nice brand new arena this season

If iam going to get excited about next Friday nights home game we have vs. CofC then this is a game we must win first :!:
Affirm, FU69 liked this
 #47001  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:53 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:09 pm
High Point has a very nice brand new arena this season

If iam going to get excited about next Friday nights home game we have vs. CofC then this is a game we must win first :!:
Yep CofC just beat the SoCon’s best today by 2 at UTC. High Point has a pretty good team and beating FU would not be a shock. I imagine we will be without Slawson so winning will be tough. Does anyone know if Lawrence is out for the season? We only scored 11 points the last 10:44 and zero the last 4:07. Can’t afford those type droughts Tuesday,
Affirm liked this
 #47023  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:15 am
Looks like Tubby Smith has built this High Point team along the non-transfer mold
 #47025  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:26 am
Went back and looked at the play JS got hurt. He came down with all his weight on his right leg at an awkward angle. He seemed to be in a lot of pain. TV didn’t show him leaving the floor, Anyone know if he walked off? The report was a strained quad but he was holding his knee.From what I saw I don’t expect to see him for a while. Hope I am wrong
 #47027  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:25 am
I had forgotten than Tubby Smith had become HPU’s head coach. I think this is now his 4th year there. He has been HC at 6 other major programs, all significantly bigger than HPU or FU. Those include UGA and UK (where he won the national championship in 1998). Not sure if there are “name” OOC opponents that he’s played and beaten at HPU. No doubt, he plans to beat Furman.
 #47039  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:11 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:25 am
I had forgotten than Tubby Smith had become HPU’s head coach. I think this is now his 4th year there. He has been HC at 6 other major programs, all significantly bigger than HPU or FU. Those include UGA and UK (where he won the national championship in 1998). Not sure if there are “name” OOC opponents that he’s played and beaten at HPU. No doubt, he plans to beat Furman.
No wins against bigtime opponents in his 4 years there. William and Mary is his best ooc win. 7 and 9 D1 wins the last 2 seasons, all in the Big South. One D1 win this year over Howard. They did play Notre Dame close 70-61.
Ratings as of this morning:
Pomeroy: FU #110 HP #267
Sagarin: FU #90 HP #303
 #47040  by HammerTKE
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:26 am
Went back and looked at the play JS got hurt. He came down with all his weight on his right leg at an awkward angle. He seemed to be in a lot of pain. TV didn’t show him leaving the floor, Anyone know if he walked off? The report was a strained quad but he was holding his knee.From what I saw I don’t expect to see him for a while. Hope I am wrong
I was at the game and JS was helped off the court but he was walking gingerly on his own shortly afterwards. He was definitely in a lot of pain for the remainder of the game while he was on the bench. It did not look good in person, but hopefully it's just a strained quad, as was first reported, and we won't have to be without him for too long. Even on nights when JS is not scoring much this year, he's made a huge impact with his blocks and tough D.
 #47045  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:09 pm
Yes Slawson does a lot more thsn just scoring. There are no gimmes left on the schedule. Without Slawson chances of winning any remaining games go way down. From what I have read recovery from a strained quad can take up to 6 weeks which would be devastating. I assume Hein moves back into the starting lineup. He will be the only starter over 6’4”. To have a chance against anyone left on the schedule everyone is going to have to step it up bigtime.
 #47049  by Sad Din
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:53 pm
wow. convention center, restuarant, practice facility, meeting rooms. If facilities is that important HP should have a top 25 team soon!

furpop16 liked this
 #47050  by FU3
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:50 pm
A real estate deal with the facade of a university.They just keep adding more acres and over the top facilities and the enrollment keeps rising.. the guy understands his market.
 #47056  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:36 pm
Sad Din wrote:
wow. convention center, restuarant, practice facility, meeting rooms. If facilities is that important HP should have a top 25 team soon!

#47058  by Roundball
 Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:07 am
Sad Din wrote:

The facility was made possible after a huge donation from Nido Qubein, now President of HPU. I had the privilege of taking a speaking/presentation class under Qubein when I was employed at BB&T. He is an unbelievable motivational speaker and teacher. The man has a wonderful life story, coming to the U.S. from Lebanon unable to speak a word of English. He tells the story about going to a church when he came to the states just to be around Americans. Quebein had no idea what was being said, so he decided to copy what the guy next to him was doing, like standing up and staying seated when he did. It seemed to be working until the pastor congratulated a new mom on the birth of her baby, asking the dad to stand up. Well, Mr. Qubein copied the guy sitting next to him, the dad. Quebein stood up too. To make a long story short, it was that day that he decided to learn the English language better than anyone. He proceeded to become highly educated, becoming a very successful businessman and one of the best motivational speakers in the country. I found out quickly that even though he was a highly successful, he was a humble and kind man, eager to help others. I sent him a note to thank him for spending time with us that week. Mr. Qubein took the time to send me a handwritten note back, along with several signed copy of a couple of his books. I look back on that week as a highlight of my banking career, and still refer to his motivational books often. It is a joy to see good people do well, and give back. We live in a great country.
Last edited by Roundball on Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
AstroDin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.