• Dins Day 2020 money haul

#28989  by Fuonetime
 Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:29 pm
Does any one know how much money was raised for our athletic programs during Dins Day 2020? What’s the breakdown for BB, FB, soccer, etc and Paladin Club?
 #28993  by apaladin
 Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:19 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
Does any one know how much money was raised for our athletic programs during Dins Day 2020? What’s the breakdown for BB, FB, soccer, etc and Paladin Club?
Basketball almost $12k
Football app.$4,500
Overall app. 1.3 million down from 2.6 million last year.
So overall donations were down app. 50% for several reasons but mainly because of the baseball fiasco, IMHO.
Overall number of donors was down app 33% from almost 2,700 to app. 1,800. Pretty sad figures.
MetroMizzy liked this
 #28998  by Roundball
 Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:13 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fuonetime wrote:
Basketball almost $12k
Football app.$4,500
So overall donations were down app. 50% for several reasons but mainly because of the baseball fiasco, IMHO.
Overall number of donors was down app 33% from almost 2,700 to app. 1,800. Pretty sad figures.
Once all the $ are posted, it should be closer to $2.0 million. Not bad at all for year the economy has tanked. It’s sad that folks held back because of baseball. The $ are used to support Furman students, not the administration. It’s the students these people are punishing. Sadly, these folks will take much pleasure in the numbers being down. Really, that is sick and pathetic.
FUKA61 liked this
 #29002  by fufanatic
 Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:33 pm
There is no way I'll believe that $1.3 million was held back because people didn't like baseball/MLAX being cut. I think many are worried about their bank account after having to trim expenses for a quarter of the year due to the pandemic, and potentially gave money to a lot of other organizations besides Furman this year - namely COVID relief funds and black supported organizations.
FUKA61, AstroDin, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #29013  by furpop16
 Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:55 pm
fufanatic wrote:
There is no way I'll believe that $1.3 million was held back because people didn't like baseball/MLAX being cut. I think many are worried about their bank account after having to trim expenses for a quarter of the year due to the pandemic, and potentially gave money to a lot of other organizations besides Furman this year - namely COVID relief funds and black supported organizations.
Like me. My project ends in 10 days and I don't have anything yet on the back end. I gave last year and want very much to support the team again this year, but right now that wouldn't be responsible.
 #29019  by gofurman
 Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fuonetime wrote:
Basketball almost $12k
Football app.$4,500
assuming these numbers are right when finalized I find it interesting that basketball recvd about 3X as much as football. Does that strike anyone else?
 #29021  by Paul C
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:04 am
Not when you consider the coaches and players involvement both personally and on social media. They worked for it.
Furmanoid liked this
 #29035  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:10 pm
fufanatic wrote:
I think you way are way under estimating the impact that cancelling baseball has on these figures. Certauinly not the only factor but it was a huge factor. If baseball had not been dropped these numbers would be significantly higher. I really don't see how anyone can argue that.
 #29038  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:20 pm
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
I think you way are way under estimating the impact that cancelling baseball has on these figures. Certauinly not the only factor but it was a huge factor. If baseball had not been dropped these numbers would be significantly higher. I really don't see how anyone can argue that.

While what you are saying is true to a certain extent, its the long game that is being played here to beef up FU hoops and football as well, its not just a Dins Day 2020 vision, its a long term vision
 #29039  by Roundball
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:27 pm
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
You don’t know that to be true.
 #29041  by Affirm
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:00 pm
gofurman wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fuonetime wrote:
Basketball almost $12k
Football app.$4,500
assuming these numbers are right when finalized I find it interesting that basketball recvd about 3X as much as football. Does that strike anyone else?
No. $7,500 is not much difference.
 #29071  by furpep
 Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:52 am
My word, such a lot of moaning about baseball, a sport that drew so few people nobody cared until it was dropped. Certainly did not cause the drop in $$ unless those who say this were going to personally give about $1 Million. You gave that for baseball in past years, correct? No you didn't and you know it. So stop trying to make baseball something it never was at Furman - a great nationally competitive, big time $$ program.
 #29072  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:36 am
furpep wrote:
My word, such a lot of moaning about baseball, a sport that drew so few people nobody cared until it was dropped. Certainly did not cause the drop in $$ unless those who say this were going to personally give about $1 Million. You gave that for baseball in past years, correct? No you didn't and you know it. So stop trying to make baseball something it never was at Furman - a great nationally competitive, big time $$ program.
I bet the controversy would go away if somebody at FU would explain in clear language how cutting the two sports actually saved any money or enough money to make a difference and why exactly the money needed to be saved. This message was sort of garbled. The endowment story is shaky because that should be mostly healed by now. And unless FU decides for some reason to join a tiny handful of schools staying closed, the whole Covid excuse is shaky. So maybe it is part of a long range plan, which the AD said it sort was and sort of wasn’t. But it isn’t clear. If it is a plan to free up money for football and basketball (like keeping the b’ball coach and bringing in big time opponents), cool. But they haven’t said that at all.
MetroMizzy liked this
 #29073  by Affirm
 Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:06 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:36 am
furpep wrote:
I bet the controversy would go away if somebody at FU would explain in clear language how cutting the two sports actually saved any money or enough money to make a difference and why exactly the money needed to be saved. This message was sort of garbled. The endowment story is shaky because that should be mostly healed by now. And unless FU decides for some reason to join a tiny handful of schools staying closed, the whole Covid excuse is shaky. So maybe it is part of a long range plan, which the AD said it sort was and sort of wasn’t. But it isn’t clear. If it is a plan to free up money for football and basketball (like keeping the b’ball coach and bringing in big time opponents), cool. But they haven’t said that at all.
If it had been explained in clear language, the people who wanted it to be a controversy would have chosen to “not understand it” and to oppose it.
Long -range plan has been explained: have the flexibility to put resources, which are limited and will be increasingly limited, where it is believed (by those who are responsible and whose job it is) that they will have the best return.
FUKA61 and 1 others liked this