• Scheduling

#27219  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:00 am
Basically every team in America knows they will be taking a loss if they come to Greenville, they scared stiff
 #27221  by furpop16
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 pm
I'll risk diving into this mess, only because right now there's little else to do. I understand the struggle to secure home games against P-5/BigE/American teams and several times Coach Richey has patiently explained the difficulty in podcasts & postgame shows. But what about other quality teams from other conferences? MidMajorMadness recently published a virtual mid-major bracket, including (2) ETSU, (4) Furman, and (5) UNCG (Wofford & Chattanooga as play-ins) https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020/4/ ... tournament . Relatively nearby schools in the top-half of the bracket would make compelling opponents; what's the roadblock to attracting any of these teams?
- (2) Richmond
- (3) Liberty
- (3) No. Iowa
- (3) St. Louis
- (4) VCU
- (6) Davidson
- (6) Duquesne
- (6) Belmont
- (8) Bradley
Not to mention other top-drawer academic institutions which have proved perennial favorites: W&M, Colgate, Army, Navy, etc. Can we simply swim with the tide and secure home-games with these teams while playing P-5/BigE/American teams on the road?
 #27222  by Roundball
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:46 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 pm
I'll risk diving into this mess, only because right now there's little else to do. I understand the struggle to secure home games against P-5/BigE/American teams and several times Coach Richey has patiently explained the difficulty in podcasts & postgame shows. But what about other quality teams from other conferences? MidMajorMadness recently published a virtual mid-major bracket, including (2) ETSU, (4) Furman, and (5) UNCG (Wofford & Chattanooga as play-ins) https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020/4/ ... tournament . Relatively nearby schools in the top-half of the bracket would make compelling opponents; what's the roadblock to attracting any of these teams?
- (2) Richmond
- (3) Liberty
- (3) No. Iowa
- (3) St. Louis
- (4) VCU
- (6) Davidson
- (6) Duquesne
- (6) Belmont
- (8) Bradley
Not to mention other top-drawer academic institutions which have proved perennial favorites: W&M, Colgate, Army, Navy, etc. Can we simply swim with the tide and secure home-games with these teams while playing P-5/BigE/American teams on the road?
That was the point of the original tweet and post. The problem is not just getting home games with P5 teams, it’s also with getting any non conference game. Believe me, Furman is trying to get any Div. 1 team to visit. It takes luck, money and will power for those teams to visit Furman. There is nothing simple to making this happen.
 #27224  by furpop16
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:10 pm
Roundball wrote:
That was the point of the original tweet and post. The problem is not just getting home games with P5 teams, it’s also with getting any non conference game. Believe me, Furman is trying to get any Div. 1 team to visit. It takes luck, money and will power for those teams to visit Furman. There is nothing simple to making this happen.

I'm not questioning the complexity, cost, or willpower. But Rothstein's tweet asserts "20-game league schedules in power conferences continue to have a ripple effect in college basketball. Especially for mid-majors."

Can you explain the "ripple effect" and its effect on mid-majors a little further? How does P5/BigE/American reluctance prevent Furman from arranging a home-&-home with the mid-majors mentioned previously?
 #27225  by fufanatic
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:18 pm
I guess I don't really understand why the elite mid-majors don't just wave the expensive home game fees and match up against each other to help with the NET? For example, if Furman and VCU are expected to be good for the next two years, do a home-and-home and that is a win-win for both teams. Or get the SoCon to pair up with another conference for an early-season "challenge." The Ivy League would be awesome. Or maybe Conference USA.
 #27226  by fufanatic
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:22 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Roundball wrote:

I'm not questioning the complexity, cost, or willpower. But Rothstein's tweet asserts "20-game league schedules in power conferences continue to have a ripple effect in college basketball. Especially for mid-majors."

Can you explain the "ripple effect" and its effect on mid-majors a little further? How does P5/BigE/American reluctance prevent Furman from arranging a home-&-home with the mid-majors mentioned previously?
Agreed. Pair up Furman, VCU and Winthrop.

Year 1: Furman at Winthrop, Winthrop at VCU, VCU at Furman
Year 2: Winthrop at Furman, Furman at VCU, VCU at Winthrop

Each team has a quality home game and a quality road game for NET purposes.
 #27227  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:24 pm
At the end of the day, its just tough for Furman to get the money it needs to bring DI teams into Greenville, teams coming to Greenville are almost certain to lose, so Furman would have to pay a premium to any DI team to come here and take that near certain loss, and for a school of 2,700 students its just fiscally tough to be in that 'price range' to bring someone in
 #27228  by DungeonRealm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:22 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Roundball wrote:

Agreed. Pair up Furman, VCU and Winthrop.

Year 1: Furman at Winthrop, Winthrop at VCU, VCU at Furman
Year 2: Winthrop at Furman, Furman at VCU, VCU at Winthrop

Each team has a quality home game and a quality road game for NET purposes.

We already have Winthrop and Loyola on the road next year as part of this past seasons home and home return game
 #27229  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:00 pm
So I am assuming we don’t have a game with a name opponent for the well as yet as that would be a home game. That is disappointing but hopefully there is still time.
 #27230  by furpop16
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:10 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
We already have Winthrop and Loyola on the road next year as part of this past seasons home and home return game

So, coupling this with your other post, are you saying we had to pay Winthrop and Loyola to come to Greenville? If so then I understand there's only so many we can afford, even among elite mid-majors. If not, then wouldn't it be desirable to focus on more of these types of elite mid-major arrangements?
 #27231  by cavedweller2
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:19 pm
UNC Asheville, App St., UT Knoxville, Georgia St, Ga Tech, Ga. Southern, College of Chas., gamecocks, Elon, UNCW, UNC Charlotte, Davidson, Gardner webb, Winthrop, climpzun, SCUpstate, Chas. South, Coastal, Carolina, UGA.

You would think you could put a schedule together with that group as a base to start with. All D-1 and all fairly local. Everybody looking for that resume builder and looking to avoid the resume destroyers is what hinders the process.
 #27232  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:20 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:10 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:

So, coupling this with your other post, are you saying we had to pay Winthrop and Loyola to come to Greenville? If so then I understand there's only so many we can afford, even among elite mid-majors. If not, then wouldn't it be desirable to focus on more of these types of elite mid-major arrangements?

Those very well could be straight up home and home series, but my other point is really what I think we are dealing with, which is convincing someone to come to Greenville next year to take a near certain loss, that's what could be driving up the price more and more every year, obviously nobody is chomping at the bit to come get an L in Greenville even as part of a home and home arrangement anymore
 #27233  by Affirm
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:02 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:05 am
Hopefully BR has these schools on his possibilities list so we can have at least some OOC home games:
Francis Marion
Lander
Newberry
Coker
Limestone
Anderson
NGU
BJU
Queens
Wingate
Mars Hill
Lenoir-Rhyne
Catawba
Carson-Newman
CIU
Montreat
 #27245  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:50 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:19 pm
UNC Asheville, App St., UT Knoxville, Georgia St, Ga Tech, Ga. Southern, College of Chas., gamecocks, Elon, UNCW, UNC Charlotte, Davidson, Gardner webb, Winthrop, climpzun, SCUpstate, Chas. South, Coastal, Carolina, UGA.

You would think you could put a schedule together with that group as a base to start with. All D-1 and all fairly local. Everybody looking for that resume builder and looking to avoid the resume destroyers is what hinders the process.
You can mark S.C. and Clempson off this list. They refuse to play FU. That comes straight from the horses mouth.

Recent Topics

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:48 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.