• No March Madness, and more

#26624  by cavedweller2
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:36 pm
People are going to find other things to do and occupy their time. When these events resume attendance and viewership will be way down. MLB took a long time to recover from the strike of '94.
tim liked this
 #26642  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:41 pm
The way the ncaa announcement reads is there will be no more athletics this academic year yet the SoCon just sent out an announcement that athletic competition is suspended until March 30th. Confusing.
 #26643  by purplehorse
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:43 pm
March Sadness!

I cannot imagine what it would have been like to make it to the dance for the first time in 40 years and then not make it to the dance. Crazy.

Steve Forbes has suggested that all seniors get to come back and play one more year to earn the right to get to play in the NCAA since that was taken away from them. I would think the likelihood of that happening would be between zero and ZERO. No way!
Affirm liked this
 #26645  by purplehorse
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
The way the ncaa announcement reads is there will be no more athletics this academic year yet the SoCon just sent out an announcement that athletic competition is suspended until March 30th. Confusing.
I think NCAA sports done for the year. Period.
 #26648  by cavedweller2
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:50 pm
It is what it is.
 #26652  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Doesn’t the NCAA announcement just refer to championship tournaments, championship meets, etc. (including CWS)? Does it say no interscholastic competition AT ALL for the rest of the school year? If it’s just championships, I can imagine some of the highly ranked baseball teams and conferences (for example SEC, Big 12, ACC, PAC 12, AAC) that make a lot of money on TV and in ticket sales revising/extending the end of their regular season schedules and play games until the end of June, IF things happens to calm down within the next 2-3 weeks. If that were to happen, I would be surprised for SoCon and other “small conferences” to do the same, or at least not Furman. Maybe I’m just in denial or not facing the facts about the entire season for all sports being cancelled (not just championships) - but I do not see that the SoCon announcement has been revised/reissued and so the date is March 30 is still being used.
 #26653  by furman86
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:54 pm
"Steve Forbes has suggested that all seniors get to come back and play one more year to earn the right to get to play in the NCAA since that was taken away from them."

Agree that it is unlikely - but it sure would be great to get Jordan Lyons back for one more year.
 #26654  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:18 am
Just to clear up. The NCAA just cancelled all championship events and a lot of people including the SEC commish said it was March and didn’t understand they are cancelling the CWS in mid-late June. The ACC has suspended play until further notice. The SoCon until March 30th. IMHO, and I hope I am totally wrong is I think we go the entire summer without any sports and the next thing in jeopardy is the football season. If I had to bet I would bet we don’t see football this year. Since everything is now stopped it will be very hard to resume play as long as there is one new case. Of course this is an unprecedented situation. I think it is very likely this thing last a lot longer than any of us could imagine.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:04 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.