• NBA suspends the season

#26555  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:51 pm
The madness continues at warp speed. I doubt very seriously if the ncaa/nit tourneys will be held.
 #26559  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:17 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:55 pm
Utah Jazz player tested positive.
Yes that was the nail in the coffin. Consider the ncaa tourneys cancelled. I think this could be the end of sports as we know it. MLB will be next, then all ncaa spring sports. There will be no football season. Never imagined the end of the world would be so soon.
Affirm liked this
 #26583  by tim
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:17 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:55 pm
Utah Jazz player tested positive.
Yes that was the nail in the coffin. Consider the ncaa tourneys cancelled. I think this could be the end of sports as we know it. MLB will be next, then all ncaa spring sports. There will be no football season. Never imagined the end of the world would be so soon.
Totally agree, stick a fork in the NCAA and NIT. ESPN Sports Center in total panic mode this AM with that paragon of intelligence, Charles Barkley calling for the total cancellation of all athletic events and the little fat guy agreeing and slobbering all over him.
 #26610  by JohnKX512
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:30 pm
Many of you are older and are susceptible to the virus. Why are we joking about this?

My parents are lifelong Furman supporters. I would be furious and so disheartened to find out they have medical complications because they are supporting athletics and attended an event.

The faster we resolve this issue the faster we can move on to normal operations.
Affirm liked this
 #26617  by Furmanoid
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:25 pm
But the games that are being cancelled now would have been played without anyone in the stands. So your parents would have had to sneak in. I don’t see any public health benefit from these cancellations.
tim liked this
 #26619  by tim
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
But the games that are being cancelled now would have been played without anyone in the stands. So your parents would have had to sneak in. I don’t see any public health benefit from these cancellations.
You're making too much common sense. That left several days ago.
 #26620  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:07 pm
Back in 2009 a similar situation arose at this time of year. No cancellations and we were told go about normal activities and not to panic. It is completely different this time. They are creating panic. Why? Social media?
 #26625  by JohnKX512
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:42 pm
So my parents meet with some players and players families. They may be infected due to traveling and playing close contact with other players. It is a 7 to 14 day incubation so nip it in the bud.

It is a exponential formula of being infected.

I’m young, healthy, could catch the virus and have no ill effects. I apologize if I am worried too much.

Everyone on this forum jokes about it like no one dies. It would be a shame if you had a loved one become ill and you didn’t take the precautions necessary to examine the effect on our population.

I would rather cry wolf at this point than knowingly infect and hurt someone else.
Roundball, fufanatic, hypercycloid and 2 others liked this
 #26626  by JohnKX512
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:03 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

You're making too much common sense. That left several days ago.
Common sense is to listen to the doctors. Common sense is to be more worried about health than basketball and stock market. But that left several days ago? I don’t know what y’all think is the benefit of spreading a virus compared to lifting our noses like we are better than people being hurt and sick.
fufanatic, Affirm liked this
 #26627  by Furmanoid
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm
I sort of understand your concern but your parents are going to come into contact with lots of people much more likely to be infected than college athletes. And shutting everything down for a few weeks isn’t likely to nip any buds. They need to shut down for months to do any good.

Some of us just have different perspectives. A couple of years ago if I had been told that my 18 year old was looking at a 20 or 30 % mortality rate, I would have been over the moon. So I just can’t get worked up about this virus. But today it appears we have decided to destroy our economy and potentially plunge millions into poverty to show our concern. What would our pioneer ancestors think of us?
 #26628  by JohnKX512
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:22 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm
I sort of understand your concern but your parents are going to come into contact with lots of people much more likely to be infected than college athletes. And shutting everything down for a few weeks isn’t likely to nip any buds. They need to shut down for months to do any good.

Some of us just have different perspectives. A couple of years ago if I had been told that my 18 year old was looking at a 20 or 30 % mortality rate, I would have been over the moon. So I just can’t get worked up about this virus. But today it appears we have decided to destroy our economy and potentially plunge millions into poverty to show our concern. What would our pioneer ancestors think of us?
Pioneer ancestors? Wtf are you talking about?

I don’t care about the economy. I care about my health and well being for myself and all those around me.

Over 10% mortality for those over 60 with health issues such as diabetes and COPD.

It’s not affecting me. It’s affecting people I love.

Sadly we shouldn’t be in poverty over a health issue. We shouldn’t look at this as an economic issue. Children will be without food if we close public schools. And that is an issue so beyond this virus it is awful.

But yes, basketball for Furman is more important.
fufanatic, hypercycloid, Affirm and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:53 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.