• NCAA Response

#26536  by CharlieFU
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:47 pm
No fans except essential personnel and limited family.

I’m guessing NIT is the same.

Sad.
 #26542  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:11 pm
I am glad we didn’t win the SoCon. Can't imagine how disappointing that would have been
 #26544  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
I am glad we didn’t win the SoCon. Can't imagine how disappointing that would have been
Disappointing to win SoCon? I don’t think so.
 #26545  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:30 pm
I especially hate it for the ETSU fans. There is a possiblity they play in Greensboro for the first round. Can you imagine not being able to make a short drive to watch your team in the NCAA tournament?
 #26553  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:01 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
Disappointing to win SoCon? I don’t think so.
No but playing in the ncaa tournament under these conditions after forty years would have been very disappointing. I really think there is still a high probability it gets cancelled.
Affirm liked this
 #26579  by Flagman
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:53 am
If we’ve thought the impact of the coronavirus on the stock market was bad, think about the economic impact of these cancellations will have on local economies. Just here in Greenville, hotels will be empty, restaurants will be empty, and local businesses will also suffer. Usually, however, hotels require a specific stay for special events. I hope there are sufficient cancellation policies to allow full refunds.
 #26580  by fufanatic
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 am
Flagman wrote:
If we’ve thought the impact of the coronavirus on the stock market was bad, think about the economic impact of these cancellations will have on local economies. Just here in Greenville, hotels will be empty, restaurants will be empty, and local businesses will also suffer. Usually, however, hotels require a specific stay for special events. I hope there are sufficient cancellation policies to allow full refunds.
A big concern of mine as well. How many small businesses won't be able to survive as this stretches on for weeks? How will hourly workers that can't afford to miss work make money? Will some take a risk and go in despite having symptoms? Think about all the people that won't be working at arenas and stadiums around the country. This is a nightmare situation for everyone, but especially our most vulnerable populations.
 #26582  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:43 am
Flagman wrote:
Well, the hotels and restaurants are already full without the women’s regional but now they just won’t be as crowded.
 #26584  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:02 am
The tournament is not going to happen. All the talking heads on ESPN are jumping all over the NCAA for not already cancelling the tournament. I would say they will cancel it within 24 hours. The talking heads are saying things that make no sense, like after they play they are going to come in contact with many other people. So basketball causes the virus now? If they don’t play aren’t they still going to come in contact with other people. Why are they not shutting down airports, Disney World, malls etc instead of just sporting events? The average daily attendance at Disney World is 57,000 which is much more than any basketball arena and that is every day. How many people go through the Atlanta airport in a day? I heard on ESPN that “someone” said that between 70 and 150 million would get the virus in the US. If China that is 5 times larger than the US and has a major outbreak with 80,000 why is the US going to be so bad. The statement was not challenged by anyone of course.
 #26585  by cavedweller2
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:04 am
They really ought to move the games to local High School gyms since there wont be any fans there anyway.
 #26587  by tim
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:25 am
apaladin wrote:
The tournament is not going to happen. All the talking heads on ESPN are jumping all over the NCAA for not already cancelling the tournament. I would say they will cancel it within 24 hours. The talking heads are saying things that make no sense, like after they play they are going to come in contact with many other people. So basketball causes the virus now? If they don’t play aren’t they still going to come in contact with other people. Why are they not shutting down airports, Disney World, malls etc instead of just sporting events? The average daily attendance at Disney World is 57,000 which is much more than any basketball arena and that is every day. How many people go through the Atlanta airport in a day? I heard on ESPN that “someone” said that between 70 and 150 million would get the virus in the US. If China that is 5 times larger than the US and has a major outbreak with 80,000 why is the US going to be so bad. The statement was not challenged by anyone of course.

The little fat guy that keeps lecturing everybody on ESPN is killing himself with a fork and spoon. What qualifies him, Barkley or Mark Cuban to lecture?
 #26588  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:29 am
Kinda funny that this morning the Div 2 women’s swimming championships are being streamed from the NCAA official site. Lots of people there in Ohio. Wonder why no one is screaming for them to be cancelled?
 #26589  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:37 am
apaladin wrote:
It could get worse here because we have been so slow to respond. As it turns out, China did the right thing in shutting down the country. In the meantime, our government has no clue. By the way, those figures came from Trump’s own task force. He needs to listen to them. I will add that surely we can do without sports for a few weeks. I wonder what the Masters will do?
AstroDin, hypercycloid liked this
 #26590  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:57 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:29 am
Kinda funny that this morning the Div 2 women’s swimming championships are being streamed from the NCAA official site. Lots of people there in Ohio. Wonder why no one is screaming for them to be cancelled?
Because there is less than 250 people there.
 #26591  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:09 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:37 am
apaladin wrote:
It could get worse here because we have been so slow to respond. As it turns out, China did the right thing in shutting down the country. In the meantime, our government has no clue. By the way, those figures came from Trump’s own task force. He needs to listen to them. I will add that surely we can do without sports for a few weeks. I wonder what the Masters will do?

Trump is in a no win situation no matter what he does apparently, and the disease spread has nothing to do with being the fault of anyone in the US for that matter

If he does not take certain actions the democrats and media hit him for not being proactive enough

If he shuts everything down the democrats and media label him as racist, and say he is weak showing no confidence which is tanking our economy and the stock market

I could go on and on and on about all the BS out there, but really what the democrats and most media need to do is shut the hell up, grow a brain and get freaking real
tim, rangab, Davemeister liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:08 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.