• Other SoCon games and standings and the tourny

#25717  by tya1
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:29 am
ETSU struggled for most of the game at Samford but pulled out a 6 point win.
UNCG trailed VMI for almost the entire second half - by as much as 11 points - but were able to sneak out with a win in the last minute by 3 points.
Western Carolina had a comfortable margin most the second half and won at home over the Citadel by 96-84.
Mercer went to Chattanooga and lead the entire game and won by 85-80.
Attendance strong almost everywhere today. Almost 6100 at Furman, 3500 at Western Carolina, 3100+ at Chattanooga, almost 2600 at VMI. Only 500 at Samford.

ETSU is solid favorite to finish in first place. They would have to lose twice while Furman won twice to not finish first. ETSU does have tricky games at Wofford and home against Western Carolina.
Furman must beat UNCG to have a shot at second. Furman finishes the season with the Citadel and UNCG goes to Chattanooga.
4th through 7th seed is a jumble. Western Carolina and Mercer are a game up on Chattanooga and Wofford. They each finish the season with a game where are favorites and a tough game. Chattanooga has the tiebreaker over Wofford and finishes with one game as favorite (VMI) and one as underdog (UNCG.) Wofford has two games (vs. ETSU, at Mercer) where they are underdogs. Wofford is odds on favored to have to play the first day of the SoCon tournament.
What an odd season for Wofford. They beat Furman and UNCG at home, lost at ETSU and Furman by one point on the road and in OT at UNCG, but are 0-5 against the middle of the pack teams.

As of today I think the SoCon tournament would match Wofford - Citadel and Samford-VMI on the opening day. Quarterfinals would be ETSU - Samford-VMI winner, WCU - Mercer, UNCG - Wofford-Citadel winner, and Furman - Chattanooga.

I don't know who I would rather play in the quarter-finals. UTC played us close both games and has some size and shooters. We have a quickness edge. WCU has Dotson, who is a load down low and a tough point guard in Faulkner. Mercer is the hottest team of the teams in the middle and gave us one real tough game down there. Wofford is the only one to beat us of those four, but has learned to lose lately.
 #25726  by Flagman
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:18 am
tya1 wrote:
UNCG trailed VMI for almost the entire second half - by as much as 11 points - but were able to sneak out with a win in the last minute by 3 points.
Western Carolina had a comfortable margin most the second half and won at home over the Citadel by 96-84.
Attendance strong almost everywhere today. Almost 6100 at Furman, 3500 at Western Carolina, 3100+ at Chattanooga, almost 2600 at VMI. Only 500 at Samford.

ETSU is solid favorite to finish in first place. They would have to lose twice while Furman won twice to not finish first. ETSU does have tricky games at Wofford and home against Western Carolina.
Furman must beat UNCG to have a shot at second. Furman finishes the season with the Citadel and UNCG goes to Chattanooga.
4th through 7th seed is a jumble. Western Carolina and Mercer are a game up on Chattanooga and Wofford. They each finish the season with a game where are favorites and a tough game. Chattanooga has the tiebreaker over Wofford and finishes with one game as favorite (VMI) and one as underdog (UNCG.) Wofford has two games (vs. ETSU, at Mercer) where they are underdogs. Wofford is odds on favored to have to play the first day of the SoCon tournament.
What an odd season for Wofford. They beat Furman and UNCG at home, lost at ETSU and Furman by one point on the road and in OT at UNCG, but are 0-5 against the middle of the pack teams.

As of today I think the SoCon tournament would match Wofford - Citadel and Samford-VMI on the opening day. Quarterfinals would be ETSU - Samford-VMI winner, WCU - Mercer, UNCG - Wofford-Citadel winner, and Furman - Chattanooga.

I don't know who I would rather play in the quarter-finals. UTC played us close both games and has some size and shooters. We have a quickness edge. WCU has Dotson, who is a load down low and a tough point guard in Faulkner. Mercer is the hottest team of the teams in the middle and gave us one real tough game down there. Wofford is the only one to beat us of those four, but has learned to lose lately.
Attendance at VMI is skewed because the students were in attendance, most likely mandatory.
 #25727  by Roundball
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:07 am
Flagman wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:18 am
tya1 wrote:

Attendance at VMI is skewed because the students were in attendance, most likely mandatory.
Not skewed at all. Mandatory attendance for students is a good thing.
Last edited by Roundball on Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #25729  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:14 am
It is really going to be hard to pull for Woffy over the Bucs Wednesday night, but I guess we need to. The down side is that a Woffy win and a Furman loss to UNCG increases the chances we see the ankle biters in the tourney, and like fanatic said I’d rather not see them again until 2021.
 #25832  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:03 am
tim wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:39 am
….and the problem lies in the fact (right now), depending on Clark's health we have basically six players for a three day tournament.
Clark should be good by tourney time

Recent Topics

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:48 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.