• SoCon Tournament (Asheville March 6-9)

#25233  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:23 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:51 pm
Last years turnout was pathetic. Our team deserves much better. Please fans, show up this year to support our Paladins.
Agree, we are big time hoops now, its time for our fan base to show up in full force :!:
Affirm, QCGlue liked this
 #25238  by fufanatic
 Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:11 pm
Don't remember a year where the 1 seed is so critical. Maybe just because we are in contention and I'm paying attention more. But whoever gets it not only gets one of the bottom teams, but bypasses the other two powerhouses until the finals.
dornb, Affirm and 1 others liked this
 #25239  by Paladin91
 Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:25 pm
I drove up from Atlanta last year and it was quite disappointing to see the lack of Furman fans. ETSU and Wofford fans were abundant - there is no reason that Wofford should be drawing more fans than us to the tournament. I mean it's 62 miles from Greenville to Asheville - Furman should have that place packed.
Roundball, Affirm, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #25286  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:13 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:25 pm
I drove up from Atlanta last year and it was quite disappointing to see the lack of Furman fans. ETSU and Wofford fans were abundant - there is no reason that Wofford should be drawing more fans than us to the tournament. I mean it's 62 miles from Greenville to Asheville - Furman should have that place packed.
Wofford was 18-0 in conference last year and by most accounts had their best team in school history. Also had been in NCAA tourney 4 times since 2010. Also had Magee the So Conf player of the year. Wofford also bused students to the tournament.

No comparison in why they had more fans than Furman. Unfortunately Furman needs to WIN in the tournament to get a good turnout year after year.

If we are consistent enough to end up being the # 1 seed this year, that in and of itself would boost the Furman attendance.
 #25345  by The Jackal
 Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 pm
As I read it, with tonight's win, Furman is all but guaranteed a top 3 seed.

The Paladins are 4 games up on WCU/Wofford with 4 left to play. I think the only way we fall out of the top 3 is for us to lose every game from here on out and Wofford to win all of theirs. WCU could still win out, but we'd hold the tiebreaker over them.
 #25346  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:43 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 pm
As I read it, with tonight's win, Furman is all but guaranteed a top 3 seed.

The Paladins are 4 games up on WCU/Wofford with 4 left to play. I think the only way we fall out of the top 3 is for us to lose every game from here on out and Wofford to win all of theirs. WCU could still win out, but we'd hold the tiebreaker over them.
Indeed, good catch!!
 #25445  by apaladin
 Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:31 pm
Was in Asheville last night at Harrah's Cherokee-Asheville. The area is dark and dirty. Facility is not in good condition. There are better facilities, cities available. Tourney needs to move from Asheville IMHO.
 #25447  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Was in Asheville last night at Harrah's Cherokee-Asheville. The area is dark and dirty. Facility is not in good condition. There are better facilities, cities available. Tourney needs to move from Asheville IMHO.
It has been attended for Semis and Finals well past few years, but yes its an older arena

Downtown Greenville at Bon Secours is nicer and basically the only other central location the SoCon should consider to have the tournament if its going to upgrade and move locations
 #25450  by paladinfan12
 Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It has been attended for Semis and Finals well past few years, but yes its an older arena

Downtown Greenville at Bon Secours is nicer and basically the only other central location the SoCon should consider to have the tournament if its going to upgrade and move locations
I agree, I think Greenville would be a great option. But I would really miss traveling, and I do think the rest of the league might view it as a Furman Advantage (see what I did there... hehe).
 #25469  by MNORM
 Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:42 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I agree, I think Greenville would be a great option. But I would really miss traveling, and I do think the rest of the league might view it as a Furman Advantage (see what I did there... hehe).
Love the Asheville location. That said, if it were to move I think the Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte would be a good venue. 8600 seats...plenty of hotels...5 minutes from the central business district...and shouldn't be any complaints about the proximity to a SoCon school.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by FurmAlum

Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:48 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.