• Stats on Player Minutes

#24721  by CharlieFU
 Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:44 pm
Wofford, UNCG, & ETSU all have 9 players with at least 10 minutes per game. G and E do not have a single player averaging 30 min per game. W has two.

Furman has only 7 players with at least 10 minutes per game and 3 players averaging more than 30 min per game.

You have to wonder how this will effect us down the stretch.
Flagman liked this
 #24726  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 pm
It is what it is for this year. We have to HOPE that we have no significant injuries.

Based on me watching the ETSU-UNCG game today and several other teams I think they are both better teams than we are. Can we beat them on a given day-absolutely! Can we lose to any lower tier team on a given day-yep (beat VMI and Mercer by 2, Western by 4 and UTC by 7).
bj93 liked this
 #24729  by tya1
 Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:08 pm
It shouldn't make any difference down the stretch. We play two games a week. No 20 year old should be more tired than his opponent because he played 5 or 6 minutes more 72 hours earlier. Fatigue might kick in a tournament setting by the third day. Not with three days between games.
 #24732  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:44 pm
tya1 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:08 pm
It shouldn't make any difference down the stretch. We play two games a week. No 20 year old should be more tired than his opponent because he played 5 or 6 minutes more 72 hours earlier. Fatigue might kick in a tournament setting by the third day. Not with three days between games.
Absolutely agree. Speaking of Pugh it's hard to believe he has not scored since the NG game. Think he has only played 30+ minutes.
 #24738  by FurmAlum
 Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:12 pm
I like Pugh too. He could sure help when we're laying bricks like in the VMI game if Coach would let him play more.

There must be a reason. Maybe his defense is not up to standard yet? Anybody care to speculate?
 #24742  by CharlieFU
 Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I like Pugh too. He could sure help when we're laying bricks like in the VMI game if Coach would let him play more.

There must be a reason. Maybe his defense is not up to standard yet? Anybody care to speculate?
I suspect you are correct about the defense. Clearly why he didn’t get ANY minutes early in season. Also, at Auburn he was a surprise; nobody had seen him play. Now teams know he is in the game as a shooter. More difficult to get open looks.

Still think he has bright future.
 #24749  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

I suspect you are correct about the defense. Clearly why he didn’t get ANY minutes early in season. Also, at Auburn he was a surprise; nobody had seen him play. Now teams know he is in the game as a shooter. More difficult to get open looks.

Still think he has bright future.
You are correct. If you watch Pugh warming up, you will see that he has a beautiful, fluid shooting stroke. As result he is coming into games as THE designated 3 point shooter. (everyone has one of them now and sometimes they even wear #3 on their jersey so they cant be mistaken). He rarely has the ball in his hands and hangs on the perimeter hoping for an open look after a kick out drive or he comes off a set double screen for a catch and shoot from the top. If it goes in, he likely stays in for awhile and if it doesn't, out he comes. Seems like about 2 or 3 minutes. That's a tough role to play.

I have watched him in practices and think he is much better with the ball in his hands. He drives very well, has an excellent pull up jumper and sees the court very well. Seems like a very heady kid as well. As we go into the stretch now, this kid could give FU a real boost with significant minutes at the 1 or 2 spots; along with giving the starters some much needed rest. Even expanding the rotation to 8 would be helpful. I haven't seen him play enough to really speak to his defensive capabilities.(that's a cowardly way of saying that I don't know jacks--t about defense). I am sure the coaching staff is aware of his offensive potential and hope they find ways to exploit it.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:03 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.