• Winthrop @ Furman (Dec. 14)(BSWA)

#22589  by furpep
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:43 am
Do you think the morons who run the local news rag will actually send a reporter to cover the game and give it a writeup? Even with a Sunday afternoon game at Timmons the writeup for our contest against USC-Upstate amounted to an AP story! Why do we even try to be Greenville's team when it is obvious that Greenville does not even care about us. But, God if it was an athlete with a hangnail at Clemson there would be numerous articles on that perilous medical condition!
Sorry for ranting but what has happened to the local paper is shameful!
 #22590  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:03 pm
I really don’t think you group Greenville into what the News does. They only have a couple reporters now and they are assigned to Clempson 24/7. I have been constantly on channel 4 and they seem to be doing better. FU was there lead basketball story last night and showed a good many highlights before the Clempdon and SC games. Of course both of them lost by 20 so that prolly helped. I think coverage from local TV is much more important than newspaper these days. To answer your question they won’t send a reporter to the ame Saturday. You will prolly see a report in Monday’s paper.
MNORM liked this
 #22593  by CharlieFU
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:37 pm
It is obvious the News makes a financial decision about this. Bottom line. Clemson stories get the online clicks and ours do not. Not good for your average fan but TV coverage is there. I have given up hope of a change.

Scott Keeler’s BLOG is best place to get timely and informative info on games.
fufanatic, QCGlue, dornb liked this
 #22598  by furpop16
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:41 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:37 pm
It is obvious the News makes a financial decision about this. Bottom line. Clemson stories get the online clicks and ours do not. Not good for your average fan but TV coverage is there. I have given up hope of a change.
I’m sure the slight is annoying, but I would encourage us to keep our sights aimed high.

While my pals here in LA and west of the Rockies in general know of my keen interest in Furman Basketball, I’m always pleasantly surprised when – as occurred yesterday at breakfast – my friend interrupted his routine serenade to LeBron with “Hey, didn’t I see Furman go mano-a-mano with someone this week?”

Let’s see how this year’s Weekends-at-the-Well turns out. If successful, downtown would be positioned as the default weekend venue. “If it’s the Weekend, it’s The Well” would be a snazzy reminder for students & fans, as well as an attractive lure to quality opponents. Top-drawer teams and their coaches would be enticed to ignore the increasing reluctance at the heart of Bruce Pearl’s “and nobody wants to play ‘em” candor. And I haven’t even mentioned the product and the coach.

Stay the course. If we keep getting visibility out here, believe me The Greenville News will follow.
MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #22605  by Affirm
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:01 pm
Will someone please remind me why we cannot return to having a tournament (downtown) each year in November or December that would have Furman hosting 3 other opponents from ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, or Big East?
 #22620  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:34 pm
affirm wrote:
Will someone please remind me why we cannot return to having a tournament (downtown) each year in November or December that would have Furman hosting 3 other opponents from ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, or Big East?
affirm that is a good question, only thing I can think is that #1 the tourneys FU did in the early Bi-Lo center days did badly attendance wise and #2 those tournaments now-days like to be located in beach/destination type places ie. Charleston/Myrtle Beach, ect. have them now

I think if we can get nearly 3k for Winthrop, 3k+ for UNCG and nearly 5k for Wofford we will be well on our way to getting a big name to come to downtown Gville to play us in the 'Well' during the regular season in future seasons to come

I also would like to see our Saturday home games at Timmons against ETSU, UTC and Citadel sell-out
 #22621  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:37 pm
affirm wrote:
I’d argue that’s the point of starting to play some games DT. Greenville showed it is more than capable of hosting a tournament a few years back with the first round of March Madness. Greenville is certainly a destination now and can get folks from Atlanta or NC to travel if a top team is playing. Looking forward to a early season tournament hosted by FU in the future.
furpop16 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:38 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.